Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
wargle

Slideout ???

I have a 2000 28' Cougar with the one "super slide". I have started having trouble with extending and retracting the slide. I level up the camper, connect shore power and start to extend the slide. It will move out about about half way and stop. I let it rest about 10 seconds, hit the switch and it will move about 8-10" and stop again. After several "rest periods" it get out all the way. It follows somewhat the same scenario when retracting. I'm assuming a thermal limit on the motor is operating. I have checked the rails and they seem to be ok. Maybe something is binding causing the thermal to open or the motor is going bad? Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
wargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of 30 amp autoreset circuit breakers mounted near the battery. They are metal containers about 1" long and usually have a red plastic cap on them. One of them controls power to your slide, the tongue jack and possibly the electric stabilizers (if you have them) The other controls power to your 12 volt internal systems (lights, pump, furnace, etc)

There may be corrosion on the terminals or even a bad breaker. They cost about $3 and it may be worth your time to make sure it's functioning properly. If it's "weak" or "worn" it may trip, and a few seconds later reset.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
wargle

I failed to mention my camper is a fifth wheel. the shore power comes in the rear right into the power panel. The battery is located up front in the storage area under the overhang. Would the circuit breakers still be near the battery? There is a black plastic cover next to the batt. where the batt. wires go. I'll look there.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The circuit breakers are right beside the battery/remote control box. Follow the wires from the battery, they go directly to the breakers and are usually within 3 ft of the battery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
wargle

Replaced the auto reset breaker and the slide works great. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

OHHHHH BOYYYYYY I got one right LOL and... You're more than welcome

Glad it worked for you, now get to camping

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS