Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Andymon

Fireplace

We want to buy this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...specifications

and install just the fireplace under the TV and stereo section. I've measured and it will fit and I'll need to add a little trim. There is a 110 plug about the stereo that the TV is plugged into. The fireplace is 1350 watts and I believe 11 amps. Should I run a separate circut or will I be ok using the existing outlet.

thanks!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
therink

Personally I would run a separate circuit. I know the factory fp in my rig has a separate circuit. You will likely overload the existing circuit by drawing off of it for other appliances while using the fireplace. That would be a pain.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Personally I would run a separate circuit. I know the factory fp in my rig has a separate circuit. You will likely overload the existing circuit by drawing off of it for other appliances while using the fireplace. That would be a pain.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking although I think it'll be tough to run anything underneath as one of the holding tanks is right under where the cord would go but I'll check further.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Jager

Knowing now how cheaply these units are built, I would be amazed if they used 12ga wire in them. Most likely 14ga, unless they found some way to get away with 16. 11amps is over 1/2 the rated current for 12ga wire. I would encourage you to run a new circuit. One question . . . is there actually an empty circuit in your breaker box to put in an extra circuit?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
michol02

That's a nice fireplace Andymon. I put a portable fireplace in and it is plugged into a seperate 20 amp service I also installed. When it's really cold, I run the propane heater for about 5 minutes, then the fireplace keeps the camper warm(I run the central fan to circulate the warm air throughout the whole camper). I think if you run a plug or HD cord from the 20 amp park/shore plug, you will be ok as long as it doesn't draw too much amps. Post a picture if you decide to install one.

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  3.5 KB

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Knowing now how cheaply these units are built, I would be amazed if they used 12ga wire in them. Most likely 14ga, unless they found some way to get away with 16. 11amps is over 1/2 the rated current for 12ga wire. I would encourage you to run a new circuit. One question . . . is there actually an empty circuit in your breaker box to put in an extra circuit?
Yes, there's actually two empty spots.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post
That's a nice fireplace Andymon. I put a portable fireplace in and it is plugged into a seperate 20 amp service I also installed. When it's really cold, I run the propane heater for about 5 minutes, then the fireplace keeps the camper warm(I run the central fan to circulate the warm air throughout the whole camper). I think if you run a plug or HD cord from the 20 amp park/shore plug, you will be ok as long as it doesn't draw too much amps. Post a picture if you decide to install one.
Attachment 4255
that might be a better way to go. I didn't realize that the shore power poles had more than one outlet.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymon View Post
Yes, there's actually two empty spots.
If you add a circuit breaker to the empty slot in your breaker panel, the power that you use will come from the 30 Amp supply. That may well cause an issue with interrupting your power every time you use the microwave or when the hot water heater comes on.

It would be better to add a separate power supply for the fireplace so you don't overtax your basic input power. Adding another circuit breaker to an empty slot on the main panel won't let you add the extra amps needed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
byrdr1

OR if you have second AC you could run off that breaker as well??
you should not be using both at the same time.
NO sure how that would work just thinking out loud.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
billb800si

Quote:
We want to buy this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...specifications
and install just the fireplace under the TV and stereo section. I've measured and it will fit and I'll need to add a little trim. There is a 110 plug about the stereo that the TV is plugged into. The fireplace is 1350 watts and I believe 11 amps. Should I run a separate circut or will I be ok using the existing outlet. thanks!
===========================
Keystone normally has a separate switch for a electric fireplace option. And usually they are available on units that have the 50 AMP option. If you only have 30 AMP service then be extra careful when wiring up a electric fireplace. And use caution when running it when you also may want to run a microwave - toaster or furnace etc... Overload the system and you'll blow a circuit breaker.
Another option for you may be to mount something like this (into an existing cabinet) then you can select 750 watts of power instead of 1200 or 1500 Watts. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Warm-Hous...7#.Uk3G6GPD-Uk
I'll be adding an electric fireplace to my trailer next year right under the TV in the rear of the trailer. We have the 50 AMP option.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
===========================
Keystone normally has a separate switch for a electric fireplace option. And usually they are available on units that have the 50 AMP option. If you only have 30 AMP service then be extra careful when wiring up a electric fireplace. And use caution when running it when you also may want to run a microwave - toaster or furnace etc... Overload the system and you'll blow a circuit breaker.
Another option for you may be to mount something like this (into an existing cabinet) then you can select 750 watts of power instead of 1200 or 1500 Watts. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Warm-Hous...7#.Uk3G6GPD-Uk
I'll be adding an electric fireplace to my trailer next year right under the TV in the rear of the trailer. We have the 50 AMP option.
Happy trails,
that one is too big and we want the wood look. Plus, I'd only need to remove the two lower doors and the center shelf and the fireplace would more or less just fit. Add some trim and that's it.

We'd be careful not to run the micro and the fireplace at the same time.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
billb800si

Quote:
that one is too big and we want the wood look. Plus, I'd only need to remove the two lower doors and the center shelf and the fireplace would more or less just fit. Add some trim and that's it.
We'd be careful not to run the micro and the fireplace at the same time.
===================
Sounds like you did your homework on the measurements.
Good luck- stay warm...

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
dea3851

Fireplace addon

I put a fireplace in my 2010 cougar 318sab this fall, got it at homedepot this spring when they had them on sale was around 300.00 and I got it for 99.00, not as nice as the one you have but it fit in my space ok, it heats up to 400 sq. ft, has remote control, two speed fan, adjustable flame, I tried to use the so call wood that came with unit , particle board didn"t cut up the way I hoped , so got some wood and stained it to to match looks good and works good, ran power cord thru the bottom in corner and let hang down, and run a extention cord to power pole, most places have extra plugs at poles, Don Ludington Michigan
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote