Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
08quadram

Unhappy outside kitchen "countertops"

I have to say, I love our outside kitchen. Only problem is the material that Keystone used (or lack of proper protection of material) leaves something to be desired. Using MDF particle board is great for interior use, but not the best material for exterior use. First thing I noticed was the fact that the two outside corners of the lower slide out tops were starting to curl and the vinyl edging didn't totally cover the mdf any more. I've been very careful not to use water on these. Took it apart tonight and what I figured happened happened. The installer didn't pre drill the holes and they are in direct line of the kerf cut in which the vinyl edge is inserted. THEY CRACKED. go figure. 1st year high school wood class student would have known that.
I am going to squeeze in as much wood glue as I can and clamp them for the night. I will see how that works. If not, time to call the dealer for replacements.

ONE BIG THING YOU ALL SHOULD DO. The sink tub is just sitting in a cutout in the counter (as we all know). Take it out and use a good paint or the like to seal the edge. I used mine for minimal water and no matter how you remove the water spout, wall leaks all over. Also it is impossible not to keep water from the counter top. I was very careful to keep it wiped up, but water would get under that tub and onto the edge of the counter top. It will not take long for it to start swelling and getting soft. I happened to have an epoxy paint to seal the edges. I've included a few photos. Don't mind the work bench, just pulled the engine out of my '70 beetle. Has a serious engine knock

1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote