Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #41
QCMan
Gone Traveling

He updated via wi-fi and so did I. OTA is for wi-fi over the air updating. Tech said it has been there since day one of in-command systems.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #42
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
He updated via wi-fi and so did I. OTA is for wi-fi over the air updating. Tech said it has been there since day one of in-command systems.
Wow.

They sure hid this well!

I've seen the button there and tried it, but all I have ever received was the ungrammatical message, "unavailable files to install," and whether I hit Cancel or Confirm it did exactly nothing. I just assumed it was something there to be used by the original setup engineer and not the owner, like the floorplan stuff.

This capability isn't even hinted at in the user manual or the software update instructions on their website.

It's mentioned on their website exactly once: buried in the FAQ (a search won't even find it unless you manually open up the right question): "If your DC is connected to a WiFi network, you can download updates Over-the-Air (OTA). This can be accomplished within “Settings” on your DC." But the only actual references there are to the other files I mentioned that don't mention OTA.

I'll have to try this next time the panel tells me there are updates available.

On a related issue, at least once a week, my cellphone tells me "DC connection offline" (another really poor message, which I have learned means inCommand lost its link to the trailer), and next time I go out to the trailer I find inCommand has rebooted and needs to be prodded by fingers before it will progress past the startup screen and reconnect to WiFi. I always wondered if some online "periodic maintenance" activity was causing this reboot.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #43
Cire8002

So after updating, as I've been a tech and have always suggested people update before trying to send something back. The system slowly stopped communicating with the bcm and would restart itself. Another update came out and again I told myself this would fix the issues I was having. Before the first years warranty ran out I contacted ASA. After going back and forth with tech support it was determined that the DC had malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. Yes it's under warranty but, A). I live full time in my RV B). The nearest service center is 4 hours away one way. I had to get a mobile repair tech certified by ASA, the part sent to him, him scheduled to come out, spend the 5 minutes to take one off and put the other back on and then send the part back so it could be covered under warranty because they don't sale them to the public.

So, if it ain't broke, just don't fix it.
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
Cire8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #44
Uncoolron

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Sorry for bringing this thread back to life but I just want to thank everybody for the information I gathered here in trying to update my brand new In-Command in my 2021 Cougar 25RES. The tech told me to download the DC and BCM software updates on a flash drive and insert it in the control interface. The DC updated but can never recognize the BCM. That's how I found this forum. Anyway, I remembered creating an account and connected the In-Command in the phone hot spot and walla, it updated the BCM by itself without the flash drive inserted! Tested all controls on my phone and they all work. Thank you all!
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #45
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoolron View Post
connected the In-Command in the phone hot spot and walla, it updated the BCM by itself without the flash drive inserted! Tested all controls on my phone and they all work. Thank you all!
Yeah, the OTA feature is described only in their online FAQ, not in any of their manuals or quick-start guides at all, but works just fine as long as you have a stable WiFi connection. Used it for the first time to download the 3/26 updates and (other than having to reboot twice to get it to install them all) worked great.

The 3/26 update looks like they finally beat the problem of the unit going offline to WiFi and not recovering, making you unable to query or control your rig while you are away from it. I still get occasional "DC Offline" messages on my phone, but the app can always reconnect immediately now.

As a side note, I really appreciate that this forum allows the ability to re-open "old" threads and add new information, and the thread is just as good as a current thread. I find it so frustrating on other forums when I find a thread describing exactly the problem I am encountering, it contains a lot of useful new (to me) information, dozens of people have marked it "I have this problem, too," I work the problem out and find the solution, then can't supply it because "this thread is too old, start a new one." None of those people are ever going to find the new thread. Stupid human interface.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #46
mikec557

In-Command, backup procedure?

InCommand

Edit, my mistake in posting here. I thought I started a new thread, but must have simply started a new reply in the last thread I was researching in.
Sorry about that.

I've saved and subscribed to several threads regarding the In-Command system. I've looked at them but can't find what I'm looking for.

The original thread had an issue/topic I can't recall. But mentioned within the thread was a procedure to backup the 3 or 4 systems within the DC display. My recollection was that you plug a thumb drive into the bottom of the DC and then work through the menu. But I've tried that. I must be missing a step.

Does anyone know how to backup, or copy out, the 3 or so system profiles?

I believe there's one for each: the DC, BCM, Floorplan, and maybe one other one.

TIA
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #47
LHaven

The system has three major program modules and a floor plan for your particular model. There are procedures for using a USB stick to put new versions of the program modules into your system, but I don't know of any procedure to write them back to a USB stick. I'm not sure why you would want to do it, since even if they get totally destroyed in some fashion I can't imagine, you can always download the current versions from the manufacturer's website and just reinstall them. I don't know of any way for the end-user to modify the floor plan file, but I do know that if you make a modification to your rig, like adding a second air conditioner, you can contact ASA Electronics and they will send you a new floor plan that matches your rig. Whether they send you something you can put on a USB stick or download it to your rig online, I don't really know because I've never done that.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:33 PM   #48
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The system has three major program modules and a floor plan for your particular model. There are procedures for using a USB stick to put new versions of the program modules into your system, but I don't know of any procedure to write them back to a USB stick. I'm not sure why you would want to do it, since even if they get totally destroyed in some fashion I can't imagine, you can always download the current versions from the manufacturer's website and just reinstall them. I don't know of any way for the end-user to modify the floor plan file, but I do know that if you make a modification to your rig, like adding a second air conditioner, you can contact ASA Electronics and they will send you a new floor plan that matches your rig. Whether they send you something you can put on a USB stick or download it to your rig online, I don't really know because I've never done that.

Thanks. I guess the only reason to have it is to put it back together like it was if something came up that needed the system reloaded.

My system, knock on wood, has performed perfectly at whatever version I have (probably circa 11/2019). I would be in the camp of not downloading the latest updates just for the sake of having the latest update. I've been a Windows user for decades. Many a update introduced unintended gremlins, that then needed another update to fix that. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My goal is simply to get copies of my current version and put it away for a future use I hope I never need.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I swore I started a new one.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #49
LHaven

I would highly recommend preserving the current update, which finally fixes the day-one problem of the unit disconnecting from WiFi for no obvious reason, making it impossible for you to contact the rig until you physically go back and punch buttons to restart it. I've been running it since it came out and it is highly superior (this isn't like Windows). Just download it directly from here to your computer and save it there for backup, then put it on a USB stick and update your rig with it.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

I don't think comparing something like In Command to Windows or a smart phone. Systems like the In Command are like rthe software that operate your truck, your television, your cable box or sat dish, etc. They are code rthat's specific to that one peice of hardware that's only running that code. Windows or smart phone code has to be written to coexist with many hardware brands and countless programs or apps that can wreak hyavoc with the operating system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #51
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't think comparing something like In Command to Windows or a smart phone.
It's actually more related to the smartphone -- inCommand is build on Android.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:08 AM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It's actually more related to the smartphone -- inCommand is build on Android.
The point is, the In Command operating system only has to deal with the In Command hardware. The app to operate it is something different. The app must play nice with all the other apps on the smartphone but the code embedded on the In Command BIOS does not.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #53
bigrockk

Just wanted to add this info in the hopes it may help someone attempting to update.

Recently I was trying to update to the latest firmware using a USB stick. I formatted the USB stick and added both updates to it. The "DC" firmware updated without any problem.
The BCM update would fail, thankfully it would just revert back to the old version of the firmware and no harm done. I tried a few different things with the same results but the cure came when I formatted the USB stick (fat32) and then added only the BCM firmware to the USB stick and nothing else.
Plugged it back into the DC and the update worked flawlessly.
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #54
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrockk View Post
Just wanted to add this info in the hopes it may help someone attempting to update.

Recently I was trying to update to the latest firmware using a USB stick. I formatted the USB stick and added both updates to it. The "DC" firmware updated without any problem.
The BCM update would fail, thankfully it would just revert back to the old version of the firmware and no harm done. I tried a few different things with the same results but the cure came when I formatted the USB stick (fat32) and then added only the BCM firmware to the USB stick and nothing else.
Plugged it back into the DC and the update worked flawlessly.
Thanks for taking the time to add to this. Some day, sooner or later, I'm going to have to update. When I do, I'm coming back to this thread for a primary on how to do it successfully.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:35 PM   #55
Alibaddy

I think yours is NCSP35CM
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:51 PM   #56
LHaven

When I bought my unit, inCommand didn't offer the "update via their wifi connection" option. Once I found out they had it working, I've never used a USB stick since.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:08 PM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
When I bought my unit, inCommand didn't offer the "update via their wifi connection" option. Once I found out they had it working, I've never used a USB stick since.
There's a current thread discussing this very issue. RaptorDave contacted ASA today about a "suspected SPAM Email" he received.

ASA Customer support told him that there was a current pfishing email floating around and it was not from ASA. They also told him that his software needed two or three updates and that two of them could not be "wifi updated" but that he would need to download them from their website to a flash drive and update his InCommand software using a flash drive.... https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...510#post555510

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #58
LHaven

Ah. I suspect I never saw any of those mails because I interact with my unit so frequently that it never gets that far behind. When an update is available, the DCM is very up-front about telling you right away, provided you're there to be told.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:23 PM   #59
TXiceman

I work on the theory.....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ken
Old 01-22-2024, 05:25 PM   #60
LHaven

Ha ha! I spoke too soon! I had that email in my mailbox this morning, I just hadn't seen it yet. But when I followed the instructions, it turned out that I was already at the release versions they wanted me to upgrade to. Wasted my time.