Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
RET.LEO

Cougar HT 29BHS ??

Hi, my wife and I are trying to decide between different trailers, possible 5th wheel as our retirement gift to ourselves when she finally retires.
Right now the Cougar Half Ton BHS is my favorite followed by either a Winnebago Voyager (new model) or a Jayco Eagle HT.
I love the rear bunk with outside access, perfect for when we have a grand kid or two with us or simply for storage.
The auto level feature is very important to me as I am a retired (disabled) LEO with spinal stenosis, scoliosis, two herniated, one ruptured disc. The less bending to set up is important. One reason why we have also considered a Class C M.H.
I also really like the rear platform which looks perfect for a port. gen and aux fuel tank for the gen. The solar package and four season rated would be great as we intend to be off the grid as much as possible instead of CG's
For those have this model how do you like it? Any major problems? The little stuff doesn't bother me as I still enjoy tinkering with things
Thanks!
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
wobly

We have a 2019 29BHS. Ours is an early year model, so it doesn't have the LEDs on the front cap that seem to leak where the wires come in to the trailer. That seems to be easily fixed with a dab of silicone at the hole. We removed the platform on the back for easy access to the rear door. The rear door is a huge benefit to us for loading /unloading. If I have to carry the generator or gas, I put that in the back of the truck.

If it is just the wife and I, we will usually leave the lower bunk folded up for extra storage space where we keep flats of water, dirty clothes, etc. We have had plenty of people stay in the trailer with us, especially on hunting trips.

We ordered our trailer with the dual recliners and freestanding table and chairs instead of the jack knife couch and dinette. We decided that we wanted to be comfortable and the bunk beds would be suitable for any extra people that went with us.

The outside grill works well, but I have started using a cast iron griddle on it. It disperses the heat evenly and is much easier to clean.

The auto leveling system works well, and make setup and takedown much faster than our other trailers.

I changed the trailer tires about three months in because I didn't trust the tires that came on it.

Let me know if you have other questions about the trailer.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
RET.LEO

Thank you wobly......great information, very appreciated!!!

You set your's up the way we would want to. The free standing tables and chairs makes it seem much more home like. Like the idea of the recliners also.

The outside kitchen is a great feature. I would much rather cook outside instead of inside unless it's killer hot or raining.

I would either keep the platform on the back for a portable gen or get a smaller platform just for the gen. I like the idea of the larger platform though so I could put a aux. marine grade fuel tank to feed the gen also for extended run time.

The solar capability is huge to me so we can have several 100watt panels on the roof. I want to add a couple of Lithium batteries and a Victron Multiplus converter/inverter to power the outlets.

In full agreement on the tires, it would not leave the dealers lot without Goodyear Endurance tires or possibly LT tires.

You gave me great info wobly and it's really appreciated! Thank you
Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Hi, my wife and I are trying to decide between different trailers, possible 5th wheel as our retirement gift to ourselves when she finally retires.
Right now the Cougar Half Ton BHS is my favorite followed by either a Winnebago Voyager (new model) or a Jayco Eagle HT.
I love the rear bunk with outside access, perfect for when we have a grand kid or two with us or simply for storage.
The auto level feature is very important to me as I am a retired (disabled) LEO with spinal stenosis, scoliosis, two herniated, one ruptured disc. The less bending to set up is important. One reason why we have also considered a Class C M.H.
I also really like the rear platform which looks perfect for a port. gen and aux fuel tank for the gen. The solar package and four season rated would be great as we intend to be off the grid as much as possible instead of CG's
For those have this model how do you like it? Any major problems? The little stuff doesn't bother me as I still enjoy tinkering with things
Thanks!
At 30'+ don't fall the sales gimmick of "half ton towable", most are not. If you're planning to add all the equipment & hardware to dry camp for extended periods then you will be adding more weight than usual.
Hopefully you've calculated all the appropriate weights for both your tow vehicle & the RV of your choice. Ignore all mentions of dry RV weights, dry hitch/pin weights or max tow weight, you'll exceed the payload long before getting to this number, of your vehicle, these are totally useless numbers to you as the buyer, they were for shipping from the factory. All calculations should be made from the GVW of the RV of your choice & the actual payload/axle ratings from the sticker on the drivers door post of YOUR vehicle, do not use brochure numbers for the truck or RV.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
RET.LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
At 30'+ don't fall the sales gimmick of "half ton towable", most are not. If you're planning to add all the equipment & hardware to dry camp for extended periods then you will be adding more weight than usual.
Hopefully you've calculated all the appropriate weights for both your tow vehicle & the RV of your choice. Ignore all mentions of dry RV weights, dry hitch/pin weights or max tow weight, you'll exceed the payload long before getting to this number, of your vehicle, these are totally useless numbers to you as the buyer, they were for shipping from the factory. All calculations should be made from the GVW of the RV of your choice & the actual payload/axle ratings from the sticker on the drivers door post of YOUR vehicle, do not use brochure numbers for the truck or RV.
Sage advice. Thank you Travelin Texans.
I am amazed at the number of manufacturers claiming "half ton towable" Especially when it comes to the 5th wheel market. Towing is the easy part, towing it safely is a whole another issue. The axles, brakes, suspension of most if not all half tons are inadequate to say the least. The extra wear and tear would make the half ton unsafe and wear a nice truck out prematurely...trucks are just too darn expensive for that and to risk our safety and the rest of the motorists around us is inexcusable.

It's not the largest, heaviest trailer by a long shot but I wouldn't consider it with anything less than a F-250 and most likely a F-350 is the best t.v. for it.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
Cooter

Hello,

We have 2019 29BHS. The floor plan is great. The leveling system makes set up and tear down absolutely a breeze. I had the leak where the LED's are on the nose...little silicon and problem solved. I tow with a f 450 with a 12' flatbed. Gives us room for golf cart/4 wheeler and plenty of gear. no weight distribution needed just hook up and go!
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Sage advice. Thank you Travelin Texans.
I am amazed at the number of manufacturers claiming "half ton towable" Especially when it comes to the 5th wheel market. Towing is the easy part, towing it safely is a whole another issue. The axles, brakes, suspension of most if not all half tons are inadequate to say the least. The extra wear and tear would make the half ton unsafe and wear a nice truck out prematurely...trucks are just too darn expensive for that and to risk our safety and the rest of the motorists around us is inexcusable.

It's not the largest, heaviest trailer by a long shot but I wouldn't consider it with anything less than a F-250 and most likely a F-350 is the best t.v. for it.
Go with the 350/3500, some 250/2500 have very little more payload than some 1/2 tons, plus the cost, the ride & fuel mileage to step up to the 1 ton is minimal.
Whether the weights justify it or not with the bigger truck get the WDH with sway control, believe me you'll be glad you did at some point while towing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
papachaz

we have a 2018 29 BHS and love it! I use that storage access from the rear, with the bottom bunk folded up for my blackstone griddle and grill. I bolted a storage container to the rear rack, added a back up camera that hooks to the one I added in my truck a few years back. We've had this one 10 months, we've camped 10 trips for 31 nights and almost 3200 miles.

absolutely love it, and yes, recommend this unit!
papachaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar