Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Flow Rite Battery Quik Fill Kit

Just put the above quik fill kit on my batteries this evening. Very quick, very easy and SO much better than what I've dealt with. The one I bought is for class 24-31 12v batteries.

Backdrop is I have a 2014 Cougar High Country. It has the enclosed cowl which we liked for the appearance. Didn't really think about battery mtce. Since I keep it plugged in nearly all the time I have to check them. That required pulling the cowl, pulling the LP tanks, pulling the battery box covers and then digging back in the recess to check the cells, then taking the little water bucket and filling the cells. WAY big pain in the tail and something that just made me put off doing it.

I read about the quik fill system on this forum or another one. Looked VERY interesting to me because it would save me so much trouble so bought it. Well, after my install and initial little fill up I'm thinking...."where has my head been all this time???"

Just throwing this out there because we have lots of members dealing with battery mtce. (or not) and this might be the "cat's meow) for some. Here is the link. I will attach 2 because you have to have the pump assembly to use in conjunction with the quik fill assembly - a little pricey but I was happy when I got it installed..... the fill kit....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the pump kit....

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...7Z4J762K5YTQP2
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That looks like the kit I have installed on a few RV’s. Like you said, easy to install and use.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
Freeheel4life

That's a pretty slick setup Danny. Thanks for posting. Totally different stuff but we buy lots of Flow Rite product for wake boat ballast systems and their products are all top notch and stand up to a lot of abuse. I bet that setup wont break down based on what I've seen from them.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #4
SC Dreamer

Less expensive on manufacturer website store then Amazon. Couldn't find out if they will work on batteries that are on different levels, one over the other. Does anyone know? Seems like a great idea!
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
Less expensive on manufacturer website store then Amazon. Couldn't find out if they will work on batteries that are on different levels, one over the other. Does anyone know? Seems like a great idea!
Sure. It is not a gravity fed system, it's a hand pump (bulb) system. Squeeze the pump until the bulb gets pretty hard and your done.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post

Yes they should work at different levels. You feed into one side of the first battery and it connects to the 2nd set of battery caps; on the end of those caps is a connector for the connector hose to go to the 2nd battery. You just route it to the next batteries input whether side by side or one over the other. They give you plenty of tubing to do that. I used maybe a 1/4 of the supplied tubing to make the side to side connection. I have to say, with the way my batteries are installed behind so much "stuff" if is a Godsend to be able to access a fill port without undoing the front end of the trailer. And it works extremely well. One thought I would have for those in colder climates; when you pump water into the batteries you disconnect the pump hose from the connector to the battery hose. When you do the pump hose drains but the battery connector has a valve that closes to prevent backflow from the batteries. That might freeze in winter time, and they put a clause in there that says it could freeze in sub freezing temps, but I just took my finder and let the water come back out of the fitting. You're not going to get electrolyte on you because all the caps have fittings that push up and seal against the cap when they are full.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Old Mustanger

I guess you need 2 kits for 4 batteries?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I think so. The one I posted comes with 4 caps for 2 12v batteries. If you had 4 I would think you needed 2 of those kits. One pump assembly should take care of the water distribution.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Thanks that's what I thought. I believe I'll start with 1 kit for the 2 that are hardest to get to. The 2 that feed the residential refrigerator have a pretty substantial cover with heavy wiring coming off of it to the inverter. Haven't figured out yet how to get it out of the way so I can check them.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery