Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
hoffbrew

Water Pump

My water pump leaks once in a great while so I think I am going to replace it. My question is, do I replace with the same one OR do I up-grade? I have a Shurflo 2088-422-444, 2.8 GPM. ?????????
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

hoffbrew
If you don't want to fork out $$$ for a new pump, you can purchase a complete head for the Shurflo 2088 series of pumps. Go online to check out prices for a replacement head.
If, however, you are looking to buy a new one, some things you might consider are:
(1) is the present size/model pump doing the job for you in your unit? (2) Is the 2.8 gpm rate sufficient for your needs or do you get a really slow flow at the far end of the run?
(3) Is it quiet enough? (4) does it cycle on and off frequently? (5) Does it service all of your outlets adequately? (6) Do you do much dry camping? Having a higher-end larger pump will draw more amps and consume more juice from your batteries.
(7) Have you considered other manufacturers .??... Jabsco, Flojet, and Whale are other brands to consider.
I believe that the Shurflo 2088 series is one commonly found in RV's ---- it is basic and affordable. Does the job of getting water from A to B but there are better pumps out there. I would have a look at pumps used in the marine sector -- on boats.
I know I haven't answered your question but hopefully have given you some ideas to toss around.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
hoffbrew

Thanks... The 2.8 seems to be ok..i guess. It does cycle on and off in the bathroom when dry camping and YES.... you can hear the pump. A quieter one would be nice. Price doesnt matter, just would like a good one.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you do end up buying a new and perhaps "quieter" pump, you can further dampen the noise/vibration by making some additions and modifications to the pump base and to the solid plastic outlet and inlet pipes that come to the pump from the water tank. The pump you (we) now have could be called "economical".
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
frustratedd

Unhappy frustratedd

Have problem wirh water pump pumping water back out of city water hose hook up on 2007 keystone cougar. what is going on, a check valve issue, or? only way to use for dry campig is to hook short hose to city water hook up, install plug in short hose using hose clamp to secure plug.
frustratedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedd View Post
Have problem wirh water pump pumping water back out of city water hose hook up on 2007 keystone cougar. what is going on, a check valve issue, or? only way to use for dry campig is to hook short hose to city water hook up, install plug in short hose using hose clamp to secure plug.
Behind the screen on the city hose connection there is a check valve. If the pressure is not relieved from this valve while winterizing the remaining water can freeze and damage the valve. This is the voice of experience speaking. You may get lucky and be able to realign the seal on the valve. I wasn't lucky and some day I will get around to replacing the inlet .... until then I use a male hose to male hose fitting and a hose cap. I hope this helps and welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
My water pump leaks once in a great while so I think I am going to replace it. My question is, do I replace with the same one OR do I up-grade? I have a Shurflo 2088-422-444, 2.8 GPM. ?????????
I would also add an accumulator to this equation. The accumulator will store energy, such as water pressure to eliminate the pump from turning on every time you actuate the faucet. The other feature that an accumulator will provide, will be a noise suppressor. This will help in preventing the hydraulic hammer that can occur when the faucet is shut off.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote