Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
funpro

Question Lube and rubber seal conditioners for slide outs

Is it important to use rubber seal conditioners for my slide out - or is it just a way to sell more product?

Funpro
funpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Firecapt

Yes it is important to keep your seals and wipers conditioned! Since they are made of rubber, they will harden and deteriorate over time if left untreated.

There are several commercial products available for this purpose and can be purchased at Camping World and other online RV sites.

Many people use Aerospace 303 Protectant and it seems to work as well as if not better than others. It can be used to protect all rubber and plastic items on your RV. I've been using it for years now and really like it. I tried some of the other protectants before switching to Aero 303 and I think it does a better job.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
THedges

It's important. When I go a little longer than I should between treatments I am amazed at how much black comes off on the rag.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
joseph.feucht

I don't know anything about this, but I have been told that a silicon lubricant will work fine. If anyone knows that this is not good for the rubber wipers or rubber seals, please post back asap.
joseph.feucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Jim W

I have always used this product. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ditioner/21224 I have used this product on my last two 5ers with excellent results.
You do not need to buy it from camping world. Most auto-parts stores like NAPA have this or something similar to it. Also a Farm & Fleet store or your local trailer dealer.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
tampacamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I have always used this product. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ditioner/21224 I have used this product on my last two 5ers with excellent results.
You do not need to buy it from camping world. Most auto-parts stores like NAPA have this or something similar to it. Also a Farm & Fleet store or your local trailer dealer.
Jim W.
FYI WalMart here in FL has it also
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Jay D

How often should I wipe/clean them. New to all this. How about lube on the slide and elec stabilizer's
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

There isn't any time frame or guidelines with respect to "how often". If they become stiff and/or excessively dirty, then it's time to apply some conditioner. Use your good common sense to monitor how they look and feel.
You might consider using a dry, spray lubricant on your slide and stabilizer mechanisms. Grease or heavy oil causes road dirt, grime and grit and tiny stones to stick to it and this may cause more damage than it prevents.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
KanTC

Jay D,

There are products 'labeled' for the slide-out mechanisms -- like this one: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ubricant/26735

We've used this brand and haven't had any problems with grime or dirt build up. I'm sure there are similar products available at other stores, and maybe some of the other members can offer another suggestion.

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
You might consider using a dry, spray lubricant on your slide and stabilizer mechanisms. Grease or heavy oil causes road dirt, grime and grit and tiny stones to stick to it and this may cause more damage than it prevents.
When I drove OTR (Over The Road), I used to use Dawn Dish Detergent. Makes things slippery yet when ya go thru rain or puddles it washes off. Eliminates the gooey greasey messes and "releases" the dirt and grime.

just sayin'...

hank
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote