Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
backcountrymedic

Passport 219BHWE TV Mount Location

Hey folks!

Just brought home our brand new 219BHWE. Super excited! The ceiling on the driver's side, in the bedroom area, has a 110 outlet as well as the KeyTV satellite/cable outlet. Our dealer said that there was a backer in the wall for mounting a 2nd television, however there was no sticker on the wall indicating such. I took my dealer's word, and am trying to mount a TV bracket, however I can't find the backer for the life of me. Stud finder didn't locate anything. Magnets don't locate anything. The wall feels solid-ish when knocking on it, but there's no real obvious "this is solid here, hollow there" sound/feel. I drilled a pilot hole in the area that felt the most solid, but alas found it to be hollow. Knocked and pressed and tested some more, and drilled a second pilot hole a few inches to the left of the first one. No good there either. Now I have two pilot holes in the wall of our brand new trailer, and no TV mounted as of yet. Hoping someone here has a suggestion or some advice. Pics linked for location reference.

Cheers,
Jared

backcountrymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
curtiscapk

I'd bet that's a stud to the left of your holes. I see a wallpaper seam. does the studfinder show anything at all on the wall? It worked for me mounting my TV.

I missed the first time and went just to the left of these holes it holds fine now. I did buy a quick attach mount so I pull it off when travelling.

Pic is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keith tv mount.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	36049  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on getting the trailer home, I know you are excited. I can't help on the TV mount as we don't use one in our bedroom, BUT use a lot smaller bit or a small finishing nail to test locations. I can see those holes in all 3 pics, even across the room.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
Texas Steve

Smile

I used a swivel mount like this one and mounted it to the cabinet. Used screws that went through the cabinet with washers and lock nuts on the inside. Folds flat against the wall for travel. I use it with a 26" television and is very sturdy. Look at mountit.com for more selection. Good luck!
Attached Images

Texas Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
curtiscapk

yep that's my mount into the stud.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 09-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
twanger

Weird they put those outlets there, since Keystone’s web site says the TV goes way over above the dinette, on the bunk’s wall.

Regardless, seems like mounting to the cabinet would be the most sturdy anyway.
twanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
backcountrymedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger View Post
Weird they put those outlets there, since Keystone’s web site says the TV goes way over above the dinette, on the bunk’s wall.

Regardless, seems like mounting to the cabinet would be the most sturdy anyway.
There is a TV mounted over on the wall by the dinette, we were just wanting to install a 2nd one so as to not disturb the kids in the bunks while we were watching in bed at night.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
backcountrymedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats on getting the trailer home, I know you are excited. I can't help on the TV mount as we don't use one in our bedroom, BUT use a lot smaller bit or a small finishing nail to test locations. I can see those holes in all 3 pics, even across the room.
Found some light gray patch for the holes!
Old 09-29-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
curtiscapk

Sweet! Did you find a stud?
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 09-29-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
backcountrymedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
Sweet! Did you find a stud?
I tried using a basic stud finder and couldn’t locate one. Then I contacted Keystone customer service and asked about it, and the woman I spoke to said I needed to try a specific type of stud finder called a “density finder” that could also detect metal. She even went as far as searching for one locally for me and found one at my local Home Depot. I picked it up, and gave it a go, and got a very consistent reading on one in the wall. Drilled another pilot hole and found… nothing. No stud.

I’m super confused at this point. I’m a very handy DIY guy. I fix or work on pretty much anything, and have done a TON of building and construction work throughout my life. I really don’t want to keep putting holes in my wall.

I called my dealership and explained the situation. Told them that the general manager assured me there was a backer there and that he suggest do the install myself, but that I was struggling. They transferred me to the service dept who said they were booked until December and pretty much blew me off.

My next call was to Camping World, and they’re going to install it for me on Saturday.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:45 AM   #11
curtiscapk

Crazy!!!!!!!!!:bangh ead:
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 09-29-2021, 06:58 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountrymedic View Post
I tried using a basic stud finder and couldn’t locate one. Then I contacted Keystone customer service and asked about it, and the woman I spoke to said I needed to try a specific type of stud finder called a “density finder” that could also detect metal. She even went as far as searching for one locally for me and found one at my local Home Depot. I picked it up, and gave it a go, and got a very consistent reading on one in the wall. Drilled another pilot hole and found… nothing. No stud.

I’m super confused at this point. I’m a very handy DIY guy. I fix or work on pretty much anything, and have done a TON of building and construction work throughout my life. I really don’t want to keep putting holes in my wall.

I called my dealership and explained the situation. Told them that the general manager assured me there was a backer there and that he suggest do the install myself, but that I was struggling. They transferred me to the service dept who said they were booked until December and pretty much blew me off.

My next call was to Camping World, and they’re going to install it for me on Saturday.
A couple RVs ago I had the same issue, no plate in the wall.
I finally routed the edges & stained to match a 1x8, maybe 1x6, piece of red oak to span between 2 confirmed studs to securely mount the tv bracket to. After several years of use it was still firmly secured when I traded the rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountrymedic View Post

CW is capable of performing excellent work. They, like every other RV repair service, is also capable of hanging a TV mount on the wall, without finding any backer to support the device.... While I wouldn't disparage their ability to do the job correctly, depending on which repairman is assigned to do the job, that repairman might well do an outstanding job. He/she might, on the other hand, drill 4 holes, install toggle bolts or Oscar rivets and call it a day...

You might not find any problems with the installation until several trips later, after that particularly rough road and when arriving at the campground, unlock your trailer door to find the TV, mount and all 4 of those fasteners laying on the floor in a broken mess.....

Trust but verify before agreeing to the work and verify after the work is finished.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #14
backcountrymedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Trust but verify before agreeing to the work and verify after the work is finished.
Excellent advice my friend, thank you!
Old 10-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #15
jimmyg

Tv in bedroom

My keystone 5th wheel had same issue. I contacted keystone and they said no sticker on wall means no anchor point in wall. I told them why then is there a cable connection. Their answer was to either mount to overhead cabinet or dresser top. I simply got a free standing mount for tv on Amazon and lay tv on bed and pull in slide when traveling. No issues been doing it for a year.
jimmyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, passport, tv mount