Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I never went in to renew my registration, always done online. There were times it would be 6+ months, both due in Jan & usually not back in Texas til May-June, before I got either inspected & no one ever said anything.
They change the procedure or registration a couple of years ago.. now you have to be inspected and the paperwork on file with the state/county before you can buy your plates.. But....

This is what to do if out of state...

https://www.txdmv.gov/node/4813

I'm a Texas resident and currently out of state with my vehicle. How do I renew my registration if I am not in Texas?
Category
General
Site Section
Motorist
Question
I'm a Texas resident and currently out of state with my vehicle. How do I renew my registration if I am not in Texas?
Answer
You can renew your registration by “self-certifying” as the vehicle owner, that you are entitled to renew your Texas registration, but you and your vehicle are currently out-of-state and you are unable to complete the required Texas vehicle inspection. This is common with active duty military who are on assignment outside of Texas.

You can renew your registration and waive the Texas vehicle inspection requirement either online or by mail.

Online: by self-certifying you are out-of-state (pre-requisites apply)
By mail: submit the following to your local county tax office in Texas if you are not eligible to renew online:
Renewal notice, vehicle identification number or plate number
Copy of owner's current driver license or government-issued photo identification
Copy of proof of current vehicle insurance
Written statement indicating the vehicle is out-of-state
Fees: Contact your local county tax office for exact amount and payment methods
To ensure you do not receive a ticket or have to pay penalty fees, you will need to have your vehicle inspected within 3 days after returning to Texas. Also, we recommend you keep the inspection report in your vehicle to prove you have completed it if you are stopped by law enforcement.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #22
LHaven

In Arizona, everything is done online. They do mail their little sticker to your home, but they also give you an online receipt you can use to prove re-registration if you are away from home.

When I moved out here to "cowboy country" from the "Route 128 corridor / home of the Internet," I was astounded at how many state and county records, functions, and services were publicly available online out here... stuff that back east they'd look at you sideways for even expecting might be available without you having to drive to the capital city and waste a day pawing your way through dusty, giant bound volumes and card catalogs.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #23
Ccrew

I live in VA. Or legally did until recently. Inspection can expire when you're on the road, you're just mandated to have it done upon return to the state. We ran without for 6 months while we travelled, got back to VA and ran without still until we transferred to SD in anticipation of FT in the camper.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...n46.2-1158.01/

4. Any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is outside the Commonwealth at the time its inspection expires when operated by the most direct route to the owner's or operator's place of residence or the owner's legal place of business in the Commonwealth;

5. A truck, tractor truck, trailer, or semitrailer for which the period fixed for inspection has expired while the vehicle was outside the Commonwealth (i) from a point outside the Commonwealth to the place where such vehicle is kept or garaged within the Commonwealth or (ii) to a destination within the Commonwealth where such vehicle will be (a) unloaded within 24 hours of entering the Commonwealth, (b) inspected within such 24-hour period, and (c) operated, after being unloaded, only to an inspection station or to the place where it is kept or garaged within the Commonwealth;
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
In Arizona, everything is done online. They do mail their little sticker to your home, but they also give you an online receipt you can use to prove re-registration if you are away from home.

When I moved out here to "cowboy country" from the "Route 128 corridor / home of the Internet," I was astounded at how many state and county records, functions, and services were publicly available online out here... stuff that back east they'd look at you sideways for even expecting might be available without you having to drive to the capital city and waste a day pawing your way through dusty, giant bound volumes and card catalogs.
I suspect it's been a number of years since you've been "back east". Other than driver's liscenced renewal and passport application I don't know of anything that requires in person "showing up in person". With the Covid-19 pandemic most states extended the "in person" appearances until the Covid restrictions were lifted.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #25
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I figure inspections and registrations are state mandated items and it would be very hard for an out of state LEO to write a citation for a violation of another state's laws - that's my take, some of our LEO members can probably clarify. I think the best way to avoid inspection or registration scrutiny is to avoid getting into a situation where it is possible.
In Michigan we would not enforce another states mandates... if the vehicle and trailer are properly plated and insured then that is all we would look for. Whether or not it's got a current inspection sticker from your state is not relevant to us... That being said, I cannot speak for the Michigan State Motor Carrier Division who are the weigh masters here. But I honestly have yet to see a tow vehicle w/ travel trailer be pulled over for anything other than speeding or some other traffic violation. However, if the plate is expired you might get stopped for that but in my opinion only the State Troopers or possibly the Sheriff's Department would cite you... JMHO... Locals would warn you to get it renewed and send you on your way if they would even bother to pull you over seeing it was an out of state plate....again, JMHO
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #26
rlh1957

If your state requires inspections annually you might have to come back to home registered state. GA doesn’t have vehicle inspections. Atlanta has only emissions testing on older gassers. No diesel emissions.

If retired full timers you could consider moving registration and registered residence to FL, TX or Dakota.
In FL No state income tax, no personal state tax on your SS or pension or 401K dispersement. Vehicle and RV registration is low.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #27
pakuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Ca doesn’t require inspections, just emissions testing every other year after the vehicle is 5 yrs old. I personally wouldn’t move or register a vehicle here to avoid the inspections, registration and weight fees are out of hand IMO.
I am in California and I just had to re-register my 2019 Ram 2500 Diesel and found out that for a Diesel you need a Smog Cert every 2 years. This is straight from the DMV.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote