Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
alexandcari

New to group with buyers remorse...

Hello Folks,
Great to meet you folks Alex, my husband, and I hail from Southern Illinois. We just brought home a 2021 Outback Ultra Lite 302UBH. We opted for this model due to the limitations of what our truck could safely pull (9500 GVWR) and it also ticked off several of our "boxes". We drove 600 miles to get it. Hard to find stock apparently still related to the pandemic. In our excitement, we didn't check the roof ourselves before taking delivery. Due to my husbands recent back surgeries, he didn't climb up there and I was assured it had been thoroughly checked out... We have a 2 story house, so it was easy to see once we got it home that the roof has many issues in the covering and gluing. When we called them about this they said that 95% are like this. Which doesn't make it acceptable to us. We could kick ourselves for leaving the dealership with it like this. They also gave us a bad power cord... We are left with taking it to Gander Mountain (not who we bought from) to ask for it to be covered by warranty, they are the only authorized dealers in the vicinity. Any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
Cari (and Alex)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2587.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	35167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	35168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	35169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	35170  
alexandcari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Cari! Wish it was under better circumstances.

I've not had a new trailer come to me with your particular issue but others on the forum have. The bad news is I think Keystone will call that "cosmetic", and the good news is - it is. Not pretty, but will still keep the RV dry.

What it is in reality is poor workmanship by the person that put that membrane on....inexcusable to me but unfortunately it happens more than it should. Hopefully someone who has dealt with it can share with you what processes they went through.

You said Gander was not the selling dealer; who was? Was it another Gander/Camping World dealer somewhere else? I ask because unlike auto dealers all RV dealers are not forced to work on RVs other dealers sold whether they sell the same brands or not. Most do not like taking in warranty work, which they get paid less for, on a trailer they didn't sell or make the "up front" money on. If you bought it from another Gander/CW dealership somewhere else it should be OK but probably slow. If from some independent dealer then all bets are off. Wishing you the best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

First off welcome to the forum

That’s is totally unacceptable in my eyes, and I would be sending pics to the selling dealer with some stern wording. In my 10 years of working on RVs I have NEVER seen that from the factory, You should and deserve a new roof. Keep the faith, the selling dealer full of you know what for telling you what they did.

I hope someone makes it right, and you can get the enjoyment you deserve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
alexandcari

Sourdough, Hello and thank your for your reply.
No, we didn't buy from Gander. They are just the only licensed facility within a 200 mile radius. The dealer is 600 miles from us, one way. It also looks like there is a screw tip trying to pop thru in one place. I'd like to believe it would be ok the way it is, but it is . It is SO loose everywhere up there, it's difficult to believe it will wear well. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I will be sure to report back here. Do you think I should post in any other threads here? This is my very first time using this forum. Someone in a FB group recommended it. Thanks for your time and support, I appreciate it. Cari
Old 08-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
travelin texans

Name:   BS Meter.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  14.2 KB
Here's my opinion of your dealers comment!
Send pics to dealer GM, Marcus Lemoine at CW & to Keystone customer service, be sure to give the name of the employee at the dealership that tried to feed you that line on BS in all of your emails.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s your choice, I can say that this forum is NOT affiliated with and there are no Keystone employees that monitor this forum.

Only my personal opinion, but I think your selling dealer did you wrong. I’m not going to defend their actions, but YOU could have inspected the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
alexandcari

Hi, Thanks again for your input, I value it.

LOL, Less any self-deprecating details, they would have had a VERY hard time getting me up and down the ladder and my husband is disabled.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
LHaven

I'm beginning to think there is a definite market for "RV inspection service," similar to the "home inspection service" homebuyers often employ. RVs are getting well beyond the competence of the average buyer to inspect.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandcari View Post
Hello and thank your for your reply.
No, we didn't buy from Gander. They are just the only licensed facility within a 200 mile radius. The dealer is 600 miles from us, one way. It also looks like there is a screw tip trying to pop thru in one place. I'd like to believe it would be ok the way it is, but it is . It is SO loose everywhere up there, it's difficult to believe it will wear well. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I will be sure to report back here. Do you think I should post in any other threads here? This is my very first time using this forum. Someone in a FB group recommended it. Thanks for your time and support, I appreciate it. Cari

Cari as was mentioned we are not affiliated with Keystone and the do not monitor this forum as far as anyone knows.

If there is a screw trying to protrude then the situation needs attention. If you did not buy from Gander/CW I don't know what luck you will have getting warranty work performed on something they didn't sell. CW has a policy of doing warranty work on anything they sell across the country, I'm not aware that holds for units sold by other dealers.

The problem with buying from a dealer a long distance away (I assume to save some money) is that you face this situation if/when warranty work is required. When buying like that a THOROUGH inspection of the RV HAS to happen before taking possession or this is one of the things that can happen.

First step would be to contact the selling dealer - owner or GM. Advise of your situation, send the pics and then hold them accountable for full roof repair; THEY need to run that gauntlet with Keystone and do what is required to get it authorized. THEY are the ones that failed you. Do that tomorrow; be forceful but professional. Let us know how that goes.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
alexandcari

Great advice from all

Yes will do for sure first thing tomorrow. I do know there is no affiliation with Keystone here, I did write to them directly. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 08-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #11
Canonman

Welcome to the forum! wish it were under better circumstances.
Our roof came "loose" like yours across the front of the Cougar within our first year of ownership. Air rushing over the top of the trailer actually "sucks" the membrane away from the underlying wooden roof. Improper installation or defective adhesive were the reasons they gave us. The dealer worked with Keystone and was able to repair the roof by pulling back the membrane and regluing. We've had no further problems.
A keystone dealer can do the repairs and work with the manufacturer to have those repairs covered by the warranty. The key is getting them to do it. Gander/Camping World is a huge buyer of Keystone products. They carry a lot of weight. If the original selling dealer isn't willing to take your case to Keystone, I'd suggest meeting with the local dealer GM and Service Manager. See if they can help. The trailer is brand new and only taken home. Your pictures make a good case. They should be able to help.
If not here's a couple of phone #'s 574-537-3900, 866-425-4369
to Keystone Customer Support.

Best of luck getting this solved
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8482.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	35172  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yes will do for sure first thing tomorrow. I do know there is no affiliation with Keystone here, I did write to them directly. Thank you so much for your help!

You contact them tomorrow; you should not have this situation. Post back. I may be able to provide some assistance within Keystone but they do like working with a dealer.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #13
alexandcari

"A keystone dealer can do the repairs and work with the manufacturer to have those repairs covered by the warranty. The key is getting them to do it. Gander/Camping World is a huge buyer of Keystone products. They carry a lot of weight. If the original selling dealer isn't willing to take your case to Keystone, I'd suggest meeting with the local dealer GM and Service Manager. See if they can help. The trailer is brand new and only taken home. Your pictures make a good case. They should be able to help.
If not here's a couple of phone #'s 574-537-3900, 866-425-4369
to Keystone Customer Support.
Best of luck getting this solved[/QUOTE]

Hopefully we can get somewhere tomorrow. It sure will be interesting to see what it will take. I have heard the gamut...so I will be sure to take these numbers down, thank you so much for that. Gander is really the only option around where we live, hopefully they will invest the effort. I appreciate your input greatly, bless your heart. Thank you.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
alexandcari

SOURDOUGH:

I am staying hopeful. It's a little daunting after all I have read and heard about folks trying get thru worse.

Thank you so much for the support. It means the world.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
alexandcari

I agree 100%!
Old 08-09-2021, 02:29 AM   #16
revrusty

Sorry to hear about your situation. I just want to acknowledge how great the other posters, who have tons more knowledge than I do, are at providing so much good info. They always do. I will say that I had a warranty covered problem with the sail switch in the furnace. Had purchased it at a CW in Richmond, Va as they had the model I wanted. Nearest CW to me is in Roanoke, Va . When I contacted them about the issue, they didn't even ask where I purchased it. Just said bring it in. Had a trip coming up in a couple weeks and they jumped right on it and had it ready in a week. Probably an anomaly but if that is in range you might check with them. Good luck in you quest for justice!!

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:04 AM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm beginning to think there is a definite market for "RV inspection service," similar to the "home inspection service" homebuyers often employ. RVs are getting well beyond the competence of the average buyer to inspect.
My wife’s cousin had a rv inspector for his pdi on a first time rv,grand design momentum.
They had some issues that the dealer didn’t want to address..there was a impasse of several weeks to a month before an agreement…he still spits on the ground cursing whenever the dealers name is mentioned.

In the boating world the banks require a accredited marine surveyer to inspect any used boat for a boat loan. If you pay cash you don’t have to of course but insurance will require one

Bank surveys are more extensive then insurance surveys generally.
The buyer pays for all surveys usually…$500-$1000 for a 35’ boat
Have to pay a Marina to do a “short haul” to inspect the bottom or drop in the water for sea trial.Marina cost is under $200 usually
I’ve walked away from a few boats and I still had to pay survey and Marina costs
Some banks require a engine survey/ oil analysis as well as Diesel engines can cost $25000 a piece at a minimum,up to a million dollars a piece for a large sportfish Diesel engine ( think MTU diesel)

The surveys are very extensive with a full written report and pictures of every nut and bolt in question
Similar to a home inspection
Insurance company’s can then require a survey every few years

My neighbor flew all over the east coast and paid multiple surveys and hotel costs /Marina costs before he found his boat
Old 08-09-2021, 03:09 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
I agree 100%!
Welcome to the forum…when replying hit the “quote” button under the post your directly replying to….this will help keep your answers in context and to the right member…can get confusing if you don’t do that
Old 08-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #19
notanlines

Is there a reason you are reluctant to name the dealer? Most of us would feel quite differently!
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #20
johnnybadger

Cari & Alex,

I'm sorry you are going through this challenge. But as you have already witnessed, this forum is chock-full of some really experienced people with, most importantly, a willingness to help. Listen to them and follow their coaching and I think you have a great chance for this to have a happy ending.

I have one suggestion to add. In your conversations, I would recommend that you play a card that you have hinted you have: your husband's disability and your inability to be the one who "climbed the ladder."

Yes, you recognize that it might have been better to have hired someone to do all that for you, or to ask the dealer's representative to take photographs during the PDI as you observed them doing so, but that's water under the bridge. But we need to get someone with power to embrace your situation and commit to take action to resolve the situation in a manner that is satisfactory to you.

I would suggest that you script this narrative, and use it whenever you speak to anyone about this - the GM of the selling dealer, the owner of the selling dealer, the manufacturer, the CEO of the manufacturer and, yes, even the CEO of CW (maybe you can show him the predicament you are in and tug on his heart). And I know this is a wild idea, but here in the MKE area, many of our local TV stations have a "Help the Helpless" news program. Maybe you could plead your case to one of them.

I know, some may think this is all hokey. But you would be surprised the length most businesses will go to avoid public disclosure of one of their less stellar customer interactions. And in the grand scheme of things, I don't think this will be a catastrophic cost to fix the problem. I think there is a good chance one (or all) of the parties will see that. You may also need to be prepared to contribute to the cost of resolution.

In closing, I also recommend that you report back to this thread as your journey progresses. You have the power of a thousand counselors at your finger tips.

Good luck!
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote