Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
jlonginav

Roof Repair Advice

Hello, Plywood under TPO has come loose / separated from frame along driver side at about the midpoint of the roof. Out of 3 year structural warranty and not covered by extended warranty. Pretty sure my best fix is to just put in new screws thru the TPO & Plywood and into frame then cover with lap sealant and roof tape.

Question are what screws to use ( wood or metal) and do you pre drill?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99911912-94E4-4C0A-99BF-C13F966785D9.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	32729  
Old 03-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
skids

I had the same kind of thing happen with my Bullet. It was above the rear doorway. The wood laminate under the TPO had come loose and was pulling on the TPO above the gutter. You could push down and the TPO would wrinkle above the gutter. I was told by one of the experts here that I could undo the gutter, pull down the TPO, and reattach the gutter/TPO and it would hold down the wood laminate roof.

Being the bone head that I am, I instead opted to do a different fix. I bought some aluminum. I did the best I could to estimate where the metal frame should be to drill into. It felt like I missed on one hole and I don’t know why because the holes were in a row. I countersunk the screws into the aluminum stock. I used sealant tape, trying to push air out as it was applied. I used no sag sealant along/above the gutter to finish it up. It looks fairly clean and has been holding the roof tight - and does not leak as far as I know!
Old 03-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have removed screws from the rail, lift the membrane and use wood decking screws. It’s not real easy but it is doable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I had the same kind of thing happen with my Bullet. It was above the rear doorway. The wood laminate under the TPO had come loose and was pulling on the TPO above the gutter. You could push down and the TPO would wrinkle above the gutter. I was told by one of the experts here that I could undo the gutter, pull down the TPO, and reattach the gutter/TPO and it would hold down the wood laminate roof.

Being the bone head that I am, I instead opted to do a different fix. I bought some aluminum. I did the best I could to estimate where the metal frame should be to drill into. It felt like I missed on one hole and I don’t know why because the holes were in a row. I countersunk the screws into the aluminum stock. I used sealant tape, trying to push air out as it was applied. I used no sag sealant along/above the gutter to finish it up. It looks fairly clean and has been holding the roof tight - and does not leak as far as I know!
. That’s a good one. I thought I was the only person to use aluminum to Repair a roof . In my situation The roof balloon And ripped on both sides from the AC . I used 12 tubes of decor and a 4 x 8 by 1/8 inch sheet of aluminum that I cut to fit with Metal grinding disc. I will guarantee it will not leak there again. I used EPDM Rubber paint that’s extremely tough.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Mmeyer

Remove the gutter and pull rubber back and screw down plywood with wood screws and reinstall , if you are handy you should be able to do it.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
. That’s a good one. I thought I was the only person to use aluminum to Repair a roof . In my situation The roof balloon And ripped on both sides from the AC . I used 12 tubes of decor and a 4 x 8 by 1/8 inch sheet of aluminum that I cut to fit with Metal grinding disc. I will guarantee it will not leak there again. I used EPDM Rubber paint that’s extremely tough.
That is a thick piece of aluminum sheet! Must have cost a fortune, no?

Tags
roof, roof repair