Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
LERD

I found a product from watching the RV Daydream videos that might work. They used Mount-N-Lock rear bumper system. It turns out there are several versions you can use, depending on what your planning on. But I noticed that this company has a bracket bracing system just to sturdy your existing bumper. Inexpensive compared to adding a 2 inch receiver to the back of the camper. I'm planning on using this bracket along with a bumper mounted receiver for our bikes. Especially since I believe we will be upgrading the RV just a little when retirement hits in 2 years. Maybe less if the buyout is right!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I found a product from watching the RV Daydream videos that might work. They used Mount-N-Lock rear bumper system. It turns out there are several versions you can use, depending on what your planning on. But I noticed that this company has a bracket bracing system just to sturdy your existing bumper. Inexpensive compared to adding a 2 inch receiver to the back of the camper. I'm planning on using this bracket along with a bumper mounted receiver for our bikes. Especially since I believe we will be upgrading the RV just a little when retirement hits in 2 years. Maybe less if the buyout is right!
If the "4 inch square tubing" used to form your bumper is thick enough to support the bike rack mounted between the two "reinforced mounting brackets" that are supposed to make the bumper strong enough, it might well work. On the other hand, if the "4 inch square tubing" used to form your bumper is too thin, then the actual bumper will twist and fail, even though the brackets "are holding firm" 30" away from the bike rack.....

Any "chain is only as strong as its weakest link" and any part of the rear bumper that's reinforced, only changes the weakest link to another component... They ALL have to work together to support your bike rack. So, depending on the 4" square tubing, the brackets might help or they might only "provide a false sense of security" as your bikes go skidding across the interstate at 70MPH.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #23
LERD

I did think about that. I have a home made wrench made from plywood when I installed new stair posts at the house. I might cut out another one at 4 inches and torque the bumper a few times and look for excessive twist
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #24
Folkie

Keep in mind if mounting on the rear of your camper that there are not many bike racks rated for the rough ride back there. Our friend lost his bikes on I10 in Florida last March. He now has a Swagman rated for RVs.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:14 AM   #25
gwilkrrs

thanks-
I have a swagman rated for the bikes and bounce- which is why the bumper twist/bounce took me by so much of a surprise....
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #26
CWtheMan

Keystone warranty: What is not covered page; #11 Keystone owner's manual.

Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the RV including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo;
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #27
tomd

I have a Sprinter, after review of all the ideas I decided on swagman Ebike rated Rack. I reinforced bumper with brackets as well. Removed batteries to keep loads down when driving.
Just finished 4000 miles with no issues, lifting bike for hitch mount would be difficult, so didn’t like that option for me.
Also, recommend covering bikes, and locking all when not on them.

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack