Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
HppyCmpr

Battery Exploded

What would cause a new battery to explode while stored? Can it explode because of heat?
HppyCmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

New as in you just bought it brand new? Supposed to be new in a new camper? New to you?

With a proper charger or tender and proper mtce. (filled with water, clean posts etc.) more info is needed. As indicated above overcharging, lack of mtce. or water could lead to a problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
HppyCmpr

The TT is plugged in 365 days a year.. Is it possible it was overcharged? The TT is only a year old. What maintenance is there for the battery? Sorry, these are probably dumb questions, but I am still new at this.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
notanlines

Here is a little info for you: https://www.centurybatteries.co.nz/content/documents/battery-talk/issue-3-battery-talk-exploding-batteries.pdf
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HppyCmpr View Post
The TT is plugged in 365 days a year.. Is it possible it was overcharged? The TT is only a year old. What maintenance is there for the battery? Sorry, these are probably dumb questions, but I am still new at this.
Check water level in the battery monthly ar a min if constant'y charging. Water evaporates, plates get exposed, water boils, boiling battery acid creates hydrogen gas, plates warp and touch, then spark equals boom.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
Customer1

Got a picture? I've never seen an exploded battery.

If a battery isn't maintained it will eventually go dry.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

here ya go. It might be a "unicorn" but if so, then "unicorns are real"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exploded-battery-1-678x381.jpg
Views:	1864
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	28790  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Got a picture? I've never seen an exploded battery.

If a battery isn't maintained it will eventually go dry.

I never saw one either...sort of. In a parking lot many years ago and heard a loud "bang". Folks in a vehicle a row or so over acting panicky. Went over and they opened their hood; and there it was, an exploded battery. First and only one I've ever seen. Didn't hang out, just took on off.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The fact that "you or I have never seen..." Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Conversely, just because you or I have seen ... " doesn't mean it's real. There are many illusionists that are very good at tricking the eye and many, many "doctored" photos and videos online designed to deceive.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
hornet28

For those who've never seen or heard of a battery exploding, it happens. The only one I've had personal experience with happen when I had a farm. The tractor battery needed charging so it was on the charger. I took the charger off and reached over to start the tractor, as soon as I hit the key the battery exploded, it had boiled dry and the fumes/gases it released ignited and blew it to pieces. The one JRTJH pictured is pretty intact, mine was in pieces aroiund the shop. You also wouldn't want to be only a foot or so away in an enclosed building as it's one heck of a noise
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
Roscommon48

several possiblities but I curious of why it is always charging? just unplug your neg. on batteries and they remain great for months.

personally I would not keep charging my batteries unless I was going to use the trailer in a week or two.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
HppyCmpr

I keep my TT plugged in all year. We had an electric pole installed on the property just for that reason. Just didnt realize I had to keep checking on the battery while it was plugged in, but I do now.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #13
HppyCmpr

Picture of battery, if you look closely at the top you can see that the whole top is open.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mail.pdf (638.2 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Picture of battery, if you look closely at the top you can see that the whole top is open.
Notice the label on that battery, it says Marine/RV 550 CCA, works great to start your boat motor & run the trolling motor a while, but NOT what you want in a rv.
Replace it with a true deep cycle battery with no "CC or CCA" listed, look for the most "aH" rating available, a group 24, 27 or 31 12 volt is you best choice.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #15
Frank G

When charging a lead acid battery of any type or size or condition, one of the first gases produced is H2, H2 is highly explosive in concentration and any spark, internal or external can set it off. Every RV comes with a battery vent system, and it is rarely installed properly by the selling dealer.

The onboard charging system in the RV can be on 24/7 without doing harm to a properly maintained battery.

A overcharged, low fluid level battery will not explode without some external intrusion.

When changing out cells in industrial power batteries we were trained and trained others to open all caps and move some air across them to vent the H2, then pass the torch over the cells before doing soldering work.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:07 AM   #16
HppyCmpr

That is the battery that came with the camper...I have only had it a year. Figured the dealer would know what battery goes in it. Will keep that in mind when i replace it. Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 04:17 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That is the battery that came with the camper...I have only had it a year. Figured the dealer would know what battery goes in it. Will keep that in mind when i replace it. Thanks

Most people figure that. Just remember they put "something" in the trailer to make it work and get it off the lot. I made that mistake buying a new trailer and told them I wanted them to add a 2nd battery before taking it....they did. I saw the 2nd battery box and didn't go to the trouble of removing everything to get to it to check so figured it was good. In about a year I had battery issues; the "2nd" battery looked like something they had found in a back corner somewhere (Camco) and it had cannibalized the good battery resulting in my replacing both of them. In their defense (dealerships) I doubt they actually have a clue between true deep cycle and a car battery.....they're all 12 volts right?
Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #18
ChuckS

Curious if you removed the battery terminals and measured output voltage of the converter... It should be 13.4 to 13.8 nominal but if it went into boost mode that would be 14.4 and would... if it stuck at that output result in an overheated battery that would start to outgas..

Also a shorted cell would cause overheat condition and rupture the case...

curious when the last time was that the caps were removed to check electrolyte levels in the cells

A properly maintained battery connected to a properly working converter can be kept plugged in yea round..

over 40 years of Rvs and ive always kept mine plugged in year round when not using... and I check the battery fluid levels once a month

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:29 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Curious if you removed the battery terminals and measured output voltage of the converter... It should be 13.4 to 13.8 nominal but if it went into boost mode that would be 14.4 and would... if it stuck at that output result in an overheated battery that would start to outgas..

Also a shorted cell would cause overheat condition and rupture the case...

curious when the last time was that the caps were removed to check electrolyte levels in the cells

A properly maintained battery connected to a properly working converter can be kept plugged in yea round..

over 40 years of Rvs and ive always kept mine plugged in year round when not using... and I check the battery fluid levels once a month

I think post #3 indicated OP did not know maintenance should be performed.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The dealer strikes a deal with a supplier (Interstate is a popular brand) to purchase them by the pallet load. That's the battery you get. Keystone does not speck the battery other than the voltage.

Tags
battery