Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
hasiukdk

New owner

Hey All,

New to RVing, just rented a few times over the years. Final dove into the deep end.

Brought new 2019 Cougar 29BHSWE home today. (And I sprung for the extended warranty....we'll see if that was wise or not....)

I have been lurking in the forums the last several weeks just soaking things up. Great community with lots to be learned!
I have a lot to tinker with: portable solar, interior storage solutions, managing 2 preteens, figuring out camping during a pandemic, etc.

TT: 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHSWE
TV: 2019 Ram 1500 LTD (Hemi, Air Suspension)

Here's hoping i can help a few out as well as learn.

DKH
hasiukdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great folks with knowledge willing to share.

Hate to be a downer but you may have overloaded your truck. That's a 34', 8800 lb. trailer. Having done something like that (not fun) you will need to do something for things to be enjoyable (or at least decent).

Look at the numbers inside the driver door; payload, gvw, gawr and post back. I'm afeared you may run a little short if it's a LTD.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
hasiukdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great folks with knowledge willing to share.

Hate to be a downer but you may have overloaded your truck. That's a 34', 8800 lb. trailer. Having done something like that (not fun) you will need to do something for things to be enjoyable (or at least decent).

Look at the numbers inside the driver door; payload, gvw, gawr and post back. I'm afeared you may run a little short if it's a LTD.
Thanks for heads up. The truck is rated for 11500 lbs. Trailer is 6900 lbs dry. Hopefully will be safe.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
hasiukdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasiukdk View Post
Thanks for heads up. The truck is rated for 11500 lbs. Trailer is 6900 lbs dry. Hopefully will be safe.
https://www.ramtruck.ca/documents/ra...g-chart-en.pdf
I have eTorque and 3.92
Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Look at the numbers inside the driver door. "Towing capacity" is meaningless. "Dry weights" are dreamland numbers never to be seen again once it is out the door of the plant...then they add propane, batteries...etc. etc. etc. infinitum. Look at your truck door numbers, use gvw numbers, 13% for tongue weight of the gvw and you will be.....surprised.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
Canonman

Welcome! Think of this as a campfire circle of friends who will have suggestions and opinions that will hopefully help with any issues you might have.
Danny makes a good observation about your truck. Verify your real numbers from the door sticker. At least you have the Hemi hopefully with 3:73 gearing. You don't mention a weight distribution hitch. That would be an absolute must have for a trailer the size of yours. The old union man in me would advise not "Hoping to be safe". That's something you really want to be sure about. Also, if it's not too late I'd cancel the extended warranty. I have one and every time I've tried to use it they have some exclusion or disclaimer and the claim is denied. Better off to just put the money in the bank as a rainy day fund for any repairs as they happen.
Good luck!! And Happy Camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7991.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	27246  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!

What Danny is talking about is your payload capacity, or the amount you can carry in your truck. The trailer hitch weight (probably around 1000 pounds) is included in your payload. This is completely different from how much you can tow (pull).

Like Danny mentioned, the payload capacity for your truck is in the drivers door on a yellow and white sticker. All of the cargo and occupants can’t exceed that number, including hitch weight.

Again, you may be surprised.

No one is trying to rain on your parade. This advice is out of genuine concern for you and your family to have a safe experience. We want you to have all of the relevant information so you can make informed choices.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

OP just want to clarify that there is a huge difference between "pulling" (tow capacity...making it roll) and carrying capacity (gvw...what the truck can actually support). It's easy to make stuff "roll" with wheels, much more difficult to carry (support) the same weight that comes with that "rolling" weight.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
hasiukdk

GAWR: F: 3900, R: 4100
GVWR: 7100
GCWR: 17000
Max. Trailer weight rating: 11250 lb

I figured on the trailer (when loaded) being closer to 8500 lb to be on the safe side (and i have read many times about rvs coming off the assembly line a bit chubbier than the weights indicate).
I consulted my dealership, and the numbers looked ok to me. Many others (from what i see on blogs etc.) tow this Cougar (and larger ones) with half-tons.
I will call dealership again in morning to confirm.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Numbers tell the tale and the dealership has no clue....I promise. Having bought countless trucks for all kinds of stuff their job is to sell you something; technical details outside of engine specs etc. they are useless. It is not smart to depend on a "dealership" to guide you in anything pertaining to a trucks towing ability - the folks you talk to never pulled an RV and only read vague, unspecific specs meant to mislead buyers.

GVW 7100. Know that your truck will weigh north of 53xx which my Big Horn weighed as I recall, probably more like 57-5800. That leaves you a payload of "maybe" 14-1500 lbs. (gvw). If we use your figure of 8500 gvw on the trailer "to give you room", and consider a 13% tongue weight (realistic if not conservative), you just lost 1105 of that 14-1500 lbs. Now, you have 3-400 lbs. for you, the family, tools, BBQ, wood, jacks, ice chests, puppy etc. etc. etc.
BTDT. Made one cross country trip and bought a new HD as soon as I returned home. Safety, to me, is paramount.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
hasiukdk

Got it. Thanks.
In Canada summers are short, and the prairies are flat. I will see how things go this season (and visit the weigh station) before i park it for the winter.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck! Just remember that weights don't depend or care about "flat". They only bear down on the towing vehicle affecting driving/towing until they break something.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
Big1

Welcome to the forum.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Looks to me like we have yet another "but it's a 1/2 ton towable and the dealer said according to the truck brochure".....

These comments/suggestions are coming from folks that have experienced EXACTLY what you are going thru. I'm in that group as well. Having a 36' camper originally pulling with a F150 King Ranch, best hitch available at the time, and with added rear air bags. I thought I was golden, until passing a semi on a mountain pass while another semi passed from the opposing direction and the wind hit from the windward Slope. A "perfect storm" yes but one where considerable effort and not bragging but driving skill prevented a catastrophic outcome. So yes, count me in as BTDTGT.

Here's a few facts absent from this discussion that's CRUCIAL to know for YOUR SAFETY. You have not posted a single true weight. What the truck weights on the door indicate what it weighed when it rolled off the assembly line. That weight does not include you, your family, pets, tools, , hitch receiver and wd bars, junk in the center console or glove box, etc.

The trailer empty weight is what it weighed when it came off the factory floor. It does not include the battery(s), propane tanks, anything else that you place inside.

The only way to KNOW what you have is to visit the scale. Your truck and trailer doesn't have a belt to indicate if it's gained or lost weight, you have to put it on a scale.

Here's some more things for you to think about. Your truck towing capacity VS payload. Go to a home improvement or garden center and try this experiment. Take a 4 wheeled flat and load it with bags of sand or cement or other dense heavy bags. How many can you pile on and pull? I'm guessing several hundred pounds. That's towing.
Now, set a wheelbarrow beside the flat cart and transfer the contents. I'm guessing you won't get the handles of the wheelbarrow up without a massive struggle and wobbling when you try to move it. That's payload.

Here's some more info to think about. When truck's are built the truck's frame, springs, brakes, and components are rated for x amount of weight. When that system is attached to a stripped down 2 wd body then the weight remaining for payload is a maximum number for that system because it's the truck lines minimum weight, sort of like you standing on a bathroom scale in your skivvies.

Now, let's take that truck above and add some "nice stuff". How about 4 wd? Add a transfer case, another drive shaft, 2 more axles, etc. Power windows? Leather full powered seats with all the motors and switches and heating elements,Lots of speakers and amps with satellite receiver and GPS". And the list goes on so here's what happens, that original number for weight carrying hasn't changed so you must subtract the weight of all that stuff added from what you can carry. Sort of like you standing on that bathroom scale but now your wearing combat boots, a helmet, a weapon, a parachute and full field pack to jump out of a transport plane, that's a good 80+ pounds of gear.

Long post but I hope this helps. Do yourself a favor, weigh what you have and be honest with yourself and think about the credibility of the information you have thus far. No one here has any motive other than helping folks stay safe and enjoying the camping experience. No one here is or stands to profit in any way on your decisions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:49 AM   #15
Gary R.

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Enjoy that new Cougar and stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #16
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #17
hasiukdk

Upgraded TV

Well, after hours of soul searching, thinking, researching, and calculating, i upgraded the TV. I guess the weight police got to me.
I was originally looking for a 2-3 year old 3/4 ton or similar gasser. Ended up with 2018 F350 6.7L. I couldn't hardly find a 250/2500 in Alberta, especially gas burning. Of those I did find, pricing was close enough that i ended up opting for the big diesel. Down the road resale should be easier.
Now i have to find something else to tow the other 8 months of the year to not look completely idiotic.
At least now we can travel west with confidence and not just stick to the flat lands.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well, after hours of soul searching, thinking, researching, and calculating, i upgraded the TV. I guess the weight police got to me.
I was originally looking for a 2-3 year old 3/4 ton or similar gasser. Ended up with 2018 F350 6.7L. I couldn't hardly find a 250/2500 in Alberta, especially gas burning. Of those I did find, pricing was close enough that i ended up opting for the big diesel. Down the road resale should be easier.
Now i have to find something else to tow the other 8 months of the year to not look completely idiotic.
At least now we can travel west with confidence and not just stick to the flat lands.

Daniel, you made a wise choice IMO. Instead of going with something for a stop gap truck you got something that gives you lots of room.

I've been in the same boat, seemingly constantly for the last 6-7 years and 4 trucks later. There IS a lot of soul searching, crystal ball reading, thinking calculating and hoping. For me I always want to be safe but to this day I have refused to buy a diesel or a dually. That really limits my choices on both trucks and RVs. As you found, finding a 1 ton gas truck equipped to tow a fairly heavy rig (have to have a 4.10) is extremely difficult to find; and I spent a year and came 1/2 way across the country to find one. Still wondering about a diesel and may yet but old preferences are hard to get rid of. You made a great choice, congratulations and I commend you on your choice.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
Gary R.

Hey Daniel, congrats on you choice.

You now have a very capable tow beast that can handle you fiver with ease.

Don't worry about driving around not towing, many of us do just that. Although nowadays it seems parking lots are made for compact cars, not pickups. I have to be very careful to park where I won't get my doors bashed, and where I can get out easily. Which drives my DW crazy, as we usually ending up walking further!

Cheers!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Logan X

Quote:
Daniel, you made a fantastic choice! I applaud you! You will be pleased with that truck and the towing experience will be phenomenal. I have a 6.7l F250 which is my daily driver in Los Angeles. I have never felt silly or out of place when I’m driving it. Like Gary said, you get used to parking in the back of parking lots and things like that.

As a matter a fact, I had to get used to dudes looking at me “with lust in their eyes” because they wanted my truck. (True story)

I was in the same boat, I sold my F150 after a year to get the HD truck because I knew I needed it for towing.

Congratulations, you won’t regret it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote