Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Ranchhand

Good Sam Membership

How many of you have a Good Sam membership? Do you see it as a advatage or just a waist of money. What do most of you use is it for? Biggest reason I ask was today I called camping world to see if they had a item in stock at the store which they did. It cost $17ish if you were a good sam member or $22ish if you were not. The 5 dollar difference is not a big deal to me. Just wandering if it is justifiable to become a member. Just started in the RV world last spring so the good sam is a new thing to me so any help would be appreciated.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
maineman

Use my membership for CG and the five cents a gal at Pilot/Flying J. Plus u get mail nearly every week.
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
JDDilly

I use ours mainly for fuel savings. also sometimes for camping, but not as much.
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Northofu1

I had one, never used it except once at CW

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Roscommon48

have both towing and good sams.

it isn't a waste as far as i'm concerned
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Customer1

I'm a Good Sam Life Member.

GS has state rallies, and there is probably a local chapter near you. Most chapters have a monthly campout during camping season.

GS gives you a 10% discount on campgrounds that are affiliated.

GS has an online trip planning program.

GS has an arrangement with Pilot/Flying J for a fuel discount.

GS gets you better prices at Camping World.

The primary reason we joined was for the rallies, campouts, and camaraderie with other campers.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I am a Good Sam Elite member (new RV). I have their extended warranty, travel assist and don't know what else. Are they cost effective? Depends on the situation. The benefits listed before for just the Good Sam membership carries some weight, but to me, no more than it costs might as well have it IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

Good Sam Lifetime member (bought into several years ago when they were running a special price for it) feel it is well worth it.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I belong also . Camping world is to far away from me but I use it for campgrounds. I use the site to find places to camp.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #10
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I am a Good Sam Elite member (new RV). I have their extended warranty, travel assist and don't know what else. Are they cost effective? Depends on the situation. The benefits listed before for just the Good Sam membership carries some weight, but to me, no more than it costs might as well have it IMO.
I received an email yesterday alluding that GS is upgrading all members to Elite for the next year. Did anyone else get this email and interpret it that way?

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
locomech

I'm a Good Sam member for several years now. I use it mainly for the fuel discount at Pilot and Flying J stations, as well as for buying supplies at Camping World. It's nice to get the Good Sam campground discount if I end up in a campground that accepts it, but I don't go out of my way looking for it. What I dislike about being a Good Sam member is getting all the junk mail that goes along with the membership, extended warranties, roadside assistance, and various kinds of insurance. I don't mind the sale paper once in a while.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
kksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I received an email yesterday alluding that GS is upgrading all members to Elite for the next year. Did anyone else get this email and interpret it that way?
WOW, you must be special! I didn’t get anything about an upgrade...
Old 03-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
WOW, you must be special! I didn’t get anything about an upgrade...
Well, my FIL always said if I had another brain I'd be a half-wit. Does that count?

I went back and looked at the email ... mea culpa! I guess in addition to another brain I need new glasses.

If I renew now at $79 for three years I get a $30 gift certificate and Elite status. We'll have to see what the family CFO thinks about this. Not sure when our current membership expires.

Back to the OP's original question: the fuel discount, discount at CW, discount on GS CGs, the on-line trip planner (the old version was much better - a new "improved" version is promised, but when?), and a discount on the big book of CG listings. We also supposedly get a discount on GS insurance for the TT by being members; never priced it as non-members so I don't know what the difference in rate is.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:40 AM   #14
maccam1

have good sams membership and roadside assist,since 2007.
wouldnt go without it.roadside assist saved me alot of money over
the years
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:12 AM   #15
Ranchhand

Thanks for the replies. I was at camping world yesterday picking up a few things and the lady at the cash register talked me in to signing up for a year. It was $29 with a $10 mail in rebate. I will try it for a year and see if I feel like I gain anything from it. Once again thank you.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
68GS400

Good Sam membership?

We bought a membership shortly after purchase of TT (from another dealer). Bought it to get reduced prices on line purchases and discounts for campgrounds. These two have proven good, although there are other places to get the prices.
The biggest benefit I found was at the Good Sam website: TRIP PLANNER! I used it on several trips over the 5 years of membership. 30,000 miles of trip planned with it. Set origin and destination and it provides a base route or several. With tools on it you can define where you might stop and then determine a campground from list of public, Good Sam and other private campgrounds within user defined distance from route / destination. Campground description included last year price, campground site types, numbers, and other details of interest to RVers. Over 300 nights have been planned using this tool.
As said, the discounts in price is not worth as much as this Trip Planner tool.
Residents of Marietta, GA
US Navy 69-74
68GS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #17
ObiRich

Good Sam's worth my money

We have it and it's been well worth it for us. We're lucky, there's a Camping World Supercenter about 15 miles away, so we do use it for purchases in the store. However, every few months they send out a coupon in email. They vary, but the best one I've seen is $15 off ANY purchase. That's right...get $15.01 worth of stuff and walk out paying a penny. That's when we stock up on the TP and holding tank chemicals. Plus you get free shipping off the website at a lower purchase point.

We also use the $.05 on gas or $.08 on diesel discount at Pilot/Flying J, especially when travelling. Their prices are generally competitive already, and usually they are easier to get to than the cheaper stations you might find in towns.
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #18
cliff

We have Good Sam both member and towing. Use it for CW and a lot of parks have Good Sam discounts which has more than paid for the membership. We gave up AAA because they always found ways out of helping like changing tires, and title work. Good Sam towing has been great. You need to know your tire size before you call
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

When I first read this post I completely forgot about my GS membership. I have the roadside assistance and the traveler's insurance as well. I guess that goes to show how much we've used it.
Thankfully we haven't needed the roadside or traveler's assistance. The discount at Flying J still leaves the way overpriced. As for CW discounts, there no CW centers within about 80 miles and I can get the same stuff cheaper online. As for CG's We usually use Passport America as they discount at 40-50% off.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
How many of you have a Good Sam membership? Do you see it as a advantage .................
Ditto....maineman plus discounts at certain resorts (10%) plus camping world.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote