Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
RTR 4LIFE

5th wheel auto leveling

I am a 1st timer RVer. Purchased a 2019 Keystone Montana 5th wheel model #3855BR to live in full time in one location. At times I have to re-level the RV. When I push auto level (with the slides out) it moves up/down/left/right and then goes into a fault. At this point you have to change it to manual and retract the stabilizers and then press auto level.
Has anyone else experienced this?
RTR 4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
GeekSquadOfUn

My guess is you need to add a few blocks of wood under the jacks, probably running out of stroke.

Try putting 5 to 6 inches of wood or levelers under each jack, start with the back ones.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Is it level up or ground control?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
bobbecky

With our hydraulic level up system, when I’ve been doing maintenance or some thing else, what I do is retract the left and right jacks so none of them are touching the ground, then raise the front of the rig so it’s higher than the rear, then hit the auto level button, and it levels just fine, and this is with the slides still out, and this works. Rarely do I have to relevel for any other reason, but have when parked in a soft area where the rig settles a little, but I still do the same thing, bringing up the rear jacks first.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR 4LIFE View Post
I am a 1st timer RVer. Purchased a 2019 Keystone Montana 5th wheel model #3855BR to live in full time in one location. At times I have to re-level the RV. When I push auto level (with the slides out) it moves up/down/left/right and then goes into a fault. At this point you have to change it to manual and retract the stabilizers and then press auto level.
Has anyone else experienced this?
What i find interesting ,is that you level the rv with the slides out. When i got my rv delivered to me the truck driver gave my wife and i a walk through. One thing i noted was , not to level the rv with the slides out. Now , i'm couris what i should be doing.
Thanks
Randallf
2017 Keystone Sprinter 34.5 . 3 slides
pulled with a 2017 Silverado 4 x 4 crew cab. 2500 High Country
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:37 AM   #6
ChuckS

Your Montana should be the six point hyd system.. If the legs still have more piston length left when the system errors our then either your 12VDC is dropping below 12 volts during auto level or your batteries are low or you have a loose or corroded battery cable.

During auto level the system is extremely picky about voltage. If it drops down to 11.5 it WILL error out. Measure your DC voltage at battery while the RV is leveling.

If voltage is holding at 12 or above during motion then reseat the small connector on back side of the control pad as well as ALL connections on the front sensor/controller

Also.. the correct way and safest way to level is with the slides IN. Having slides out during leveling action is just asking for issues with the slides

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:27 AM   #7
ChuckS

You can also verify that the voltage send signal to CW and CCW terminal posts on the dual polarity solenoid aren’t dripping below 12 volts during motion by using a multi meter and measure at the two post Ive circled in yellow.

Green/green and yellow/white.. Put red end of multi meter lead on either of the circled areas and black lead to ground. Have helper operate levelers.

One side of solenoid is for CW rotation and other side is for CCW rotation of hyd pump motor

If the voltage measured at these two points doesn’t stay above 12 volts during pump operation you need to find the loose or corroded wire connection causing the voltage drop...if the batteries are charged properly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36D65E5F-1D8C-485C-8D1D-B73CC0BC118F.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	25040  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
Maineiacs

Not certain it applies to your situation but in addition to having the slides in, my system (electric vs hydraulic) requires that the front be higher than the rear when the autolevel sequence is started. If not, you get error.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Not certain it applies to your situation but in addition to having the slides in, my system (electric vs hydraulic) requires that the front be higher than the rear when the autolevel sequence is started. If not, you get error.
In the Ground Control 3.0 if you start auto level sequence “nose low”, the only thing you change is auto hitch height is disabled. I have started auto level nose low on countless trailers with total success.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
In the Ground Control 3.0 if you start auto level sequence “nose low”, the only thing you change is auto hitch height is disabled. I have started auto level nose low on countless trailers with total success.
Our Level up system seemed to always level with the bottom step too high so we started, once unhooked, lowering the nose, which lost the rehitch setting, before hitting auto, this leveled with the bottom step at a much better height.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #11
KRumm

Slightly off subject but as a newbie I would like to understand why one would be leveling their rig with the slides out?... Seems like this would just put unnecessary stress on things?... I could see making minor tweaks with the slide out but what would be of benefit an initial auto level with your slides out
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Initial Auto Level should be done with the slides in. That said, I have done both ways.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Slightly off subject but as a newbie I would like to understand why one would be leveling their rig with the slides out?... Seems like this would just put unnecessary stress on things?... I could see making minor tweaks with the slide out but what would be of benefit an initial auto level with your slides out
Hang around the service department of some dealerships, hopefully not yours Chuckster, & watch them move RVs all around the lot with slides out, landing gear down, lifted about a foot off the ground using their forklift. Seen it several times at different locations.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Trust me it happens where I work. Us service guys will retract slides and landing gear. Sales staff on the other hand.....

Old 02-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #15
Roscommon48

Like said earlier, put some wood under the legs and re level--once. That should do it. You shouldn't have to be re leveling unless you are in quick sand:-)
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
larryflew

We never use wood blocks except in very soft areas and one park with about 1 inch aggregate rock. Always do initial with slides in but in the 1 inch park need to re-level every week or so and do it slides out and method mentioned of lifting rear legs a bit, raise front and then auto level. 6 point hydraulic Lippert system.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #17
silverZ

I had a similar problem with my Cougar. It would attempt to level but fault out every time. The problem was the two front jacks were wired backwards. The left was plugged in where the right should have been.... at least that what the dealer told us. Once that was corrected they have worked flawlessly.
silverZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #18
cenders

I think everyone is misunderstanding his question... as this isn't about slides out, nose up, voltage, etc, etc.

He's full time in one spot. He set up "day one" with his slides in, etc. I'm assuming that because he is full time, he's probably on shore power.

Now once he is there for some length of time, his trailer gets out of level. I would assume caused by ground settling. He walks over, presses the auto level button and his trailer moves a bit and then errors.

I'd contact the manufacturer of your system, and pose the question to them. They'll probably tell you that once the system has been "leveled", it won't be able to repeat the process without first getting essentially reset. I'm guessing these controllers haven't been programmed to cover that scenario.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
WeRV

You say you are full time at the same location. Try using a set of screw type floor joist jacks and dunnage under the trailer frame. This should give you a more stable long term foundation. Be sure to check with a keystone service department for proper shoring points on the frame.
WeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #20
rafael&cary

Auto level

Level first then pull out slide .
rafael&cary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, leveling