Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
jaru93

Alpine 3700RE or Montana 3750FL??

Hello everyone, I currently have a Bounder MH but my wife and I are looking at getting either a new Alpine 3700 RE or a Montana 3750FL. Can you give me any info that would be important in making our choice?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Johnson
Gig Harbor, Wa
jaru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
LovinLife

3750fl

Don't know much about the Alpine but we just ordered a Montana 3750FL . We are currently in a Montana with a bunkhouse and we wanted more living area rather than sleeping quarters. We did order two of the couches that have queen air mattresses rather than the L shaped couch. That will allow us to sleep 4 in the living room area. The air mattresses open horizontal rather than vertical on the couches allowing for plenty of walk space when the two beds are opened up. With the two regular couches we still have room for a recliner to the left of the stairway that can be flipped upside down on a couch while traveling. We think that this is a great model with plenty of room to move about the coach.
LovinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
geo

Happy but differnt Alpine

Jim -

Welcome to the forum. We have a different model Alpine. Except for an initial "you're kidding" surprise problem, we are quite happy and are looking forward to many years of travel. Here in the forum you will find lots of good information and friendly folks. Look through the threads or use the "Search" option and you will be surprised by how many of your questions might be already answered. You will find one member, Flyguy, who has a great Website with great reference material. All of us would suggest that you download the Pre-Delivery Inspection checklist he has and take it with you no matter what you purchase.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
hsmunoz

I looked at montana , bighorn and Alpine before I bought an alpine.

it was down to the Mont 3750 and the Alpine 3500
-layout, your choice, pice the one you like , otherwise

I picked the Alpine because
-bigger shower
-better cabinetry , quality and finish
- better exterior finish (standard to standard)
- less expensive (did not need to pay for somethings the Montana has like the slide remote)
-12 inch I-Beams (they use 10”)… we have more structural integrity and carrying capacity because of this
7,000lb axles (they use 6,000lb) we have more structural integrity, more carrying capacity, better towability
High gloss sidewall, entry door, and baggage door (they use cheap Filon on entry and baggage doors that will fade)
9” diameter front jack pads (they use bracket pads like everyone else that will sink in soft ground, so you have to put wood underneath them)
Alpine has MUCH higher insulation values… we are 40 floor, 28 roof, and 11 sidewalls, with heated and insulated tanks. (They are 28 F, 14 R, and 9 SW)
Alpine has a standard heat pump, they do not
Alpine has dual zone temp control, they do not
Alpine has all real hardwood cherry throughout the unit, they have wrapped stiles.
Alpine has standard stainless steel appliances, they do not.
Alpine has a high end Samsung TV and home theatre, they use off brands.
Alpine has King bed standard in ALL floorplans, they do not
Alpine has a walk-in, cedar lined closet in ALL floorplans, and they do not.
Alpine has stackable washer dryer prep in ALL floorplans, they do not.
Alpine has NASCAR grade 4mm coated graphics on front cap with 5 yr warranty against peeling, they do not.
Alpine has motion detected lighting above outside entry door, they do not
Alpine has 170 cu ft of pass-through storage, they have about 140.
Alpine has both LP tanks on drivers side for easy access and fill (they have one on each side)

- and the deciding factor is my wife insisted on two recliners which I could not wedge into the 3750!
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Paddler

Regardless of which model you choose, you will need to price-in the cost of a 0ne Ton pickup if you don't already have one. Have fun shopping!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
mikell

We have the 3640rl for many of the same reasons and the bigger bedroom settled it. Fulltiming in it for nearly a year with no complaints. Looking for a truck now maybe a used Freightliner or Kodiak hauler pickups are too puny and cost too much. Dollar for dollar I'm going to take a couple of steps up
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
gr8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmunoz View Post
I looked at montana , bighorn and Alpine before I bought an alpine.

it was down to the Mont 3750 and the Alpine 3500
-layout, your choice, pice the one you like , otherwise

I picked the Alpine because
-bigger shower
-better cabinetry , quality and finish
- better exterior finish (standard to standard)
- less expensive (did not need to pay for somethings the Montana has like the slide remote)
-12 inch I-Beams (they use 10”)… we have more structural integrity and carrying capacity because of this
7,000lb axles (they use 6,000lb) we have more structural integrity, more carrying capacity, better towability
High gloss sidewall, entry door, and baggage door (they use cheap Filon on entry and baggage doors that will fade)
9” diameter front jack pads (they use bracket pads like everyone else that will sink in soft ground, so you have to put wood underneath them)
Alpine has MUCH higher insulation values… we are 40 floor, 28 roof, and 11 sidewalls, with heated and insulated tanks. (They are 28 F, 14 R, and 9 SW)
Alpine has a standard heat pump, they do not
Alpine has dual zone temp control, they do not
Alpine has all real hardwood cherry throughout the unit, they have wrapped stiles.
Alpine has standard stainless steel appliances, they do not.
Alpine has a high end Samsung TV and home theatre, they use off brands.
Alpine has King bed standard in ALL floorplans, they do not
Alpine has a walk-in, cedar lined closet in ALL floorplans, and they do not.
Alpine has stackable washer dryer prep in ALL floorplans, they do not.
Alpine has NASCAR grade 4mm coated graphics on front cap with 5 yr warranty against peeling, they do not.
Alpine has motion detected lighting above outside entry door, they do not
Alpine has 170 cu ft of pass-through storage, they have about 140.
Alpine has both LP tanks on drivers side for easy access and fill (they have one on each side)

- and the deciding factor is my wife insisted on two recliners which I could not wedge into the 3750!
Just wondering .... are you a Alpine dealer?
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
hsmunoz

buyers remorse.....?

just kidding, no dealer here,

just did my homework and got some info from the factory. Montana has a similar list, like, slide remotes, bike rack, rounded cieling etc, it really boils down to what you like. But the structural upgrades on the Alpine were big for me.

the good news is that the view is free and for everyone, that;s what's important.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
CarKath

Paddler, you are correct, but not 100%. I can legally pull an Alpine with a comparable weight. With my 2011 Chev 3/4 ton. I am tight on weight but legal. I am way legal on each axle. Tight on truck gross. But way under overall gross.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Paddler

Hi CarKath,
Your 2011 2500 has 700 lbs more truck gross weight capacity than my previous 07 2500. I'm figuring my unit at normal load was 600 to 1000 lbs over the truck payload capacity. (2650 lbs) Pack light!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #11
mikell

Thats why I'm looking for a used Kodiakhttp://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=2971337&

Something used and nice but less cash. I missed one for 26k
Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Jet Fixer

Thumbs down little fact checking

The gentleman listing those facts better recheck. The insulation, axles, king bed, cabinetry, jacks, exterior finish, baggage doors, etc. He is wrong on every remark. Of course hes a dealer. Little obvious when he says "we". The best choice would be research and not come conclusions based on one person's rant. Especially in these forums. Very opinionated and highly innacurate as you can see.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

I do own a 3750. my dw and i love it,.tows well and has had no major issues. and contray to popular oppinion i did remove the right hand couch and put 2 recliners in it. tight yes but very comfortable.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
DocData757

My take on all this is that the biggest difference you are going to see between the Montana 3750FL and the Alpine 3700RE is the arrangement. The front living room is a relatively new idea. I remember when I first saw it in the Montana at a show, I thought 'how cool!'. Later after spending some time looking at it, I realized I didn't like it for the same reason I didn't like a TT and that was the 'shoebox' feeling of the ceiling being so 'low'. One of the reasons I love my 5vr is the spacious feel for the living room and kitchen area not only from the slides but from the elevated ceiling. IMO, it is a shame to waste it in the bedroom. Also don't think I'd like having to go up and down the stairs as often as would be needed between the kitchen and LR.

With regards to the Alpine, I didn't like the closed in feel that dividing the rear living room from the kitchen gives. I know a lot of people do like it but it was not for me. It took me from one large spacious feeling room to 2 smaller cramped (IMO) rooms.

I have had my 3500RE for almost 2 years now and am still in love with the floor plan. I do have to say that, from my point of view, the 3600RS also looks great.

That's my take on this. Your mileage may vary...

BTW, no matter which you go with, make sure you find the PDI list someplace here on this form and use it!

Good luck!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
mikell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Fixer View Post
The gentleman listing those facts better recheck. The insulation, axles, king bed, cabinetry, jacks, exterior finish, baggage doors, etc. He is wrong on every remark. Of course hes a dealer. Little obvious when he says "we". The best choice would be research and not come conclusions based on one person's rant. Especially in these forums. Very opinionated and highly innacurate as you can see.
No he's right at least with my Alpine. I would never own another unit without a heat pump it saves SOOO much propane. Real wood cabinets CHECK! 12" frame CHECK! I could keep going. Jacks CHECK Baggage doors CHECK!!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Jet Fixer

He is incorrect in his comparisons, what the Alpine vs the Montana 's are equipped with. eg. Insulation values, jack pads, cabinetry "stiles wrapped when they are solid wood. The I beams, he may be correct with the Alpine equipment but not the Montana
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
mikell

Alpine pakage

http://www.keystone-alpine.com/index.php?page=standards
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
hsmunoz

Hi all,
everything I posted about the differences applied accurately to 2011 models, which is when I was comparing them. The "WE" parts of my post came directly from Keystone, so they should know right?

I checked them all at the time and they were 100% accurate. Like I said Montana had their own list. Slide remotes, Radius ceiling, etc. so buy what you like.

The structural stuff sold me, in addition to fit and finish.
18 months later still a very happy camper!
cheers
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
Jet Fixer

Cool little fact checking

Well one more post here can't hurt. By comparison....

Let's start with the 12in I beams. The Alpine front living. Vs the Montana FL would be the most accurate comparison. So much for the added strength of the 12" I beam the Montana has a ten in beam yet has a higher carrying capacity, 3218lbs compared to the Alpine's 2925.

Insulation values favor the Alpine but not as dramatic as stated previously, let's have a look...The Montana has 38r in the roof, 21 in the floor, and 9 in the sidewalls, however I couldn't find where Alpine would guarantee their coach to zero degrees like Montana
does.

3750fl Axles....7000.lb Dexter

Cabinetry...3750 solid hardwood every piece.

Washer dryer prep...yes

3750 TV. Samsung. 550

Baggage doors, IDENTICAL
Finish, IDENTICAL
Decals? Who cares YOU CAN'T GET AN ALPINE WITH FULL BODY PAINT!!!
Out door entertainment? Oh yea can't get that on an Alpine either

The two things I wish the Montana had is the keyless entry which I will pay to have done and the recessed ceiling lights which the Alpine has.

End of my rant
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
mikell

Keyless entry with the fob is great recessed lights I don't really know but I'm happy with them. The heat pump is a wonderful propane saver. Right now it's in the 50's at night and 80's during the day set it at 69 and it stays 69. I do wish it was quieter in the living area but you get used to it. Headed into our 3rd winter and still happy