Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
MisaLetet

Dead Android dude on InCommand screen

Good morning.... not really

Has anybody reset their InCommand unit, to then turn it on to this guy on the screen? A dead android dude, red triangle above his open chest of gears and "No Command" message.

I'm looking for the quick answer from the people of this great and knowledgeable forum before making phone calls and getting brain damage from my head against the wall

Help!

Thank you,
Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_071915.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24218  
MisaLetet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
ChuckS

Perhaps BT Sync

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
MisaLetet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Perhaps BT Sync
When the DC powers on, this screen is all I get. I did try to connect with my phone with no luck.

I haven't dealt with this issue before.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
LHaven

Sorry for your loss. Alas, poor R2, we knew him, Horatio.

The good news is that the people at ASA run a very efficient and helpful phone support team:

(800) 688-3135 opt. 3
http://www.asaelectronics.com/technical-support
Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
MisaLetet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Sorry for your loss. Alas, poor R2, we knew him, Horatio.

The good news is that the people at ASA run a very efficient and helpful phone support team:

(800) 688-3135 opt. 3
http://www.asaelectronics.com/technical-support
I have called ASA. I spoke with Jennifer who was very friendly and helpful so far. We are looking at batteries first. We recently went into freezing temps on Costco Interstate batteries that are about a year to a year and a half old. They may be struggling under the recent temp change. Apparently the batteries must be at a certain level for the system to work. We didn't know that the system runs on the batteries, not just the 50 amp service.. My husband has been searching on the web and found that issue, confirming what Jennifer has said. We have the rig tied into 50 amp service and the batteries should be good. My husband is going to check them tonight. HOPEFULLY that is all that is wrong. The other option will no doubt be expensive if we have to replace the DC.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

I never got the dead Android but I did get an "in command not available" message last week when I was packing up and went to put the slides in. After panicking for a minute or so I remembered something I had read on this forum, pressed the power and home buttons simultaneously, the system rebooted and I was on my way.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:50 AM   #7
MisaLetet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
I never got the dead Android but I did get an "in command not available" message last week when I was packing up and went to put the slides in. After panicking for a minute or so I remembered something I had read on this forum, pressed the power and home buttons simultaneously, the system rebooted and I was on my way.
What year is your rig? Mine is s 2016 Fuzion and I have the older version of the iNCommand system..
Old 11-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #8
ChuckS

Have you tried resetting the BCM yet... I’m surprised Jensen didn’t suggest this .. maybe they did

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
MarkEHansen

How can the iN-Command run off of the battery, even while the battery is being fed by the converter/charger? That doesn't sound right. I would bet if your converter/charger has the DC system at 13.6 volts, your iN-Command is getting 13.6 volts.

Check the voltage at your batteries (with the shore power connected) to make sure your converter/charger hasn't given up.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaLetet View Post
What year is your rig? Mine is s 2016 Fuzion and I have the older version of the iNCommand system..
2018 Alpine
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
How can the iN-Command run off of the battery, even while the battery is being fed by the converter/charger? That doesn't sound right. I would bet if your converter/charger has the DC system at 13.6 volts, your iN-Command is getting 13.6 volts.

You would think so, right? And yet I can tell you from hard personal experience that the same is true of Lippert auto levelers. If your battery is not up to snuff, they don't care what your converter is putting out, they just won't work. I suspect the underlying issue is that the converter puts out a really nice charging voltage, but not much in the way of current, and the auto levelers need to suck down great gulps of current to get their bones moving. Now, why an inCommand electronic system would need to suck down great gulps of current is a question I don't even want to think about. Though I imagine it might be justified in doing so if it's moving a slide or something.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

Quote:
You would think so, right? And yet I can tell you from hard personal experience that the same is true of Lippert auto levelers. If your battery is not up to snuff, they don't care what your converter is putting out, they just won't work. I suspect the underlying issue is that the converter puts out a really nice charging voltage, but not much in the way of current, and the auto levelers need to suck down great gulps of current to get their bones moving. Now, why an inCommand electronic system would need to suck down great gulps of current is a question I don't even want to think about. Though I imagine it might be justified in doing so if it's moving a slide or something.
That's different. Yes, the leveling motors, slide motors and awning motors should not be run without a battery being hooked up and in good condition.

In this case, the assertion was that the iN-Command control panel (not a motor) was getting battery voltage even when the shore power was connected.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I think there's a couple of "considerations" that are being confused in this situation.

First, the In-Command system "MUST" operate off battery power, otherwise, you couldn't use the system when dry camping.

Second, Any "electrical system with two sources of power (battery or converter) must have an isolator circuit/switch to separate the two sources OR they both "power and influence" the circuit.

So, the In-Command system is powered by the battery AND the converter. If the trailer is not plugged into shore power, the system receives power from the battery. If the trailer is plugged into shore power, the system receives power from the battery WHICH RECEIVES POWER FROM THE CONVERTER.

To my knowledge, there is only one "power plug" to the In-Command unit and there is no "isolator circuit/switch" in the wiring to that "power plug".

The only "exception to that rule" (that I know of) is the inclusion of a "battery cutoff switch" installed on part of the 12 VDC wiring (by Keystone). That BCO switch does not disconnect the In-Command system in trailers that I've looked at.

Now, if the trailer is disconnected from shore power, the battery voltage, measured at the In-Command plug will reflect the battery charge level. If the trailer is connected to shore power, the voltage at the In-Command plug will reflect the "higher, charging voltage produced by the converter/charger in the trailer power center (which is the "measured voltage anywhere in the 12 VDC system).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think there's a couple of "considerations" that are being confused in this situation.

First, the In-Command system "MUST" operate off battery power, otherwise, you couldn't use the system when dry camping.

Second, Any "electrical system with two sources of power (battery or converter) must have an isolator circuit/switch to separate the two sources OR they both "power and influence" the circuit.

So, the In-Command system is powered by the battery AND the converter. If the trailer is not plugged into shore power, the system receives power from the battery. If the trailer is plugged into shore power, the system receives power from the battery WHICH RECEIVES POWER FROM THE CONVERTER.

To my knowledge, there is only one "power plug" to the In-Command unit and there is no "isolator circuit/switch" in the wiring to that "power plug".

The only "exception to that rule" (that I know of) is the inclusion of a "battery cutoff switch" installed on part of the 12 VDC wiring (by Keystone). That BCO switch does not disconnect the In-Command system in trailers that I've looked at.

Now, if the trailer is disconnected from shore power, the battery voltage, measured at the In-Command plug will reflect the battery charge level. If the trailer is connected to shore power, the voltage at the In-Command plug will reflect the "higher, charging voltage produced by the converter/charger in the trailer power center (which is the "measured voltage anywhere in the 12 VDC system).
Exactly this ^^^^^

The few times I’ve had problems with In-command, it is been battery related (bad battery, poor connections)
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The more stuff I learn that the battery disconnect doesn't disconnect, the more I wonder why they bother to install those useless, attractive nuisances. Didn't have one in my last rig, and always took the battery into the garage for storage season and left it on a tender; and it doesn't look like that ritual will be changing.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The more stuff I learn that the battery disconnect doesn't disconnect, the more I wonder why they bother to install those useless, attractive nuisances. Didn't have one in my last rig, and always took the battery into the garage for storage season and left it on a tender; and it doesn't look like that ritual will be changing.
My guess: STRICTLY A GUESS, is that they include it so it's already installed and wired to the trailer systems. It's a matter of assessing the way it's connected, changing a couple (2, 4 or more) wires on switch terminals and auto-reset breakers and you can have a BCO that really is a BCO not a "except for BCO"... I'd suspect Keystone installs it with the expectation that many will rewire it to cut everything off. But, to maintain RVIA compliance, the factory can't install it to bypass the required safety systems monitors. What the owner does after it leaves the dealership is not something Keystone seeks to control.....

Unlike the seat belt interlocks we had on cars in the 70's when you couldn't bypass the seatbelt and start the car, Keystone and the BCO are "bypassable if you take the time to bypass it".

ADDED: And Ford is still using that "mantra" on current model vehicles. There's no "ON" indicator for the "auto start/stop" feature on the Edge. Every time you start the car, it defaults to "ON". You must manually turn it off. If you don't, then every time you stop for a specified idle time, the engine shuts down and restarts when you lift your foot from the brake. It isn't "defeatable" and the owner can't "reset it to always be off, unless the owner turns it on.... Sort of like the Keystone BCO, it meets some "regulation" even though it seems to defeat its own purpose.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
Ed wrobel

Lightning

We had a bout with lightning and our button to enable the slides jacks and awnings went away never to be seen again. Everybody at Jensen and Keystone were helpful but we had to Get a new screen and BCM.Truck didn’t fare so well either.The dealership still has him and they are on the trucks 9th module.
Ed wrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #18
Miloski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaLetet View Post
Good morning.... not really

Has anybody reset their InCommand unit, to then turn it on to this guy on the screen? A dead android dude, red triangle above his open chest of gears and "No Command" message.

I'm looking for the quick answer from the people of this great and knowledgeable forum before making phone calls and getting brain damage from my head against the wall

Help!

Thank you,
Lisa
You can reboot through setting or turn battery switch off and no shore power connected and it will reboot.

David
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
MisaLetet

Did that. The BCM is fine. Its the DC.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #20
MisaLetet

Holy smokes! We didn't run into lightning but ASA Electronics has replaced our DC. We now have access to everything that thing controls.once again. This is our second DC.