Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
thanket

Awning LED lights

My LED lights have worked for 2 years and now have stopped. I have a 2016 cougar 333mks. I have looked on the site to find an answer about where a fuse might be located. I have looked on the awning itself and their is only a wire coming out of the trailer to the lights but no fuse. Someone said behind the interior control panel. Took out 8 screws but panel would not come off, put screws back. Lol looked in battery compartment but no wire I saw with a fuse. Open for suggestions and direction.
16 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
66joej

On our TT the awning light is hooked up to the awning motor circuit. You may have a faulty light. Check if there is power to the light wire.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
thanket

Where do I find the awning motor circuit? The awning is working fine.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The "awning motor circuit" is essentially the wiring from the battery to the two switches that extend/retract the awning and turn the lights on/off. Those wires go from the switches through the trailer sidewall, up the mount arm and out to the roller tube. Where the arm folds is a good spot for the wire to have broken or been cut as is the mechanical connection between the awning arm and the roller tube.

My suggestion would be to unplug the awning light strip (at the roller tube) and check for 12VDC at that spot. Have someone "turn the awning light switch" off and on while you're checking for voltage. If you have voltage at the strip light junction, then the LED strip is bad. If you do not have voltage at that point, then either the wiring or the switch is bad.

As for not being able to get the "control panel" off the wall, if you removed the 8 screws and it didn't come off the wall, are you trying to remove the metal switch plate or the entire wood "picture frame" ??? On my control panel, the "picture frame" is mounted to the wall and the metal switch plate is held in place by 6 screws. Remove the screws, the metal plate comes off, but the "wood picture frame" remains on the wall. It's stapled in place and possibly glued there as well. So, take a look at what you have once the screws are removed, it "has to come off the wall" one way or another. Maybe you were pulling on the wrong part after screw removal ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
thanket

I will be going to the camper later today and will try your ideas. I did notice the other night that 2LEDs were on which leads me to believe that the strip has gone bad. I will try to post a pic.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:39 AM   #6
thanket

Pic of lights

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	481
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	22455
Hopefully I have attached a pic of the 2 lights that are on. Lol
Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Your photo "solves the issue".... Two LED's on the strip work. That "proves" the switch, wire and "trailer" are working. The culprit: Replace the strip. If you can find a "high quality WATERPROOF LED strip (that is enclosed in a silicone tube) you'll probably get much better results. Amazon has a number of choices in the $25 range that are FAR SUPERIOR to the OEM strip that costs upwards of $150.....

Here's what I put on my roller tube 5 years ago and it's still working perfectly. If you buy it, follow the instructions on how to cut the strip to the correct size. Cut the silicone tube about 1" longer (on the end WITHOUT electrical connections) and buy a tube of clear silicone sealant and reseal the cut end so absolutely no water can get into the tube. I did mine before I ever put it on the awning roller tube.

Here's the strip I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanket View Post
Attachment 22455
Hopefully I have attached a pic of the 2 lights that are on. Lol
I had this, not as bad though. on mine I had sections that quit working. it was covered under warranty and Keystone had an "upgraded" LED strip that they replaced it with. apparently the original ones they used had a lot of problems.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 AM   #9
thanket

lED lights pic

I have attached a pic of the light strip after I removed it. You can see where the plastic melted. I am glad it did not cause a fire. Anyone know where I find a replacement. It is weirdly shaped and fits in a small channel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	22543  
Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
Ammcgill

Awning lights not working

I have a sprinter 333fks 2018. Took the camper out last week and noticed the awning lights not working. The Keystone logo light by the stairs comes on when the switch is flipped but not the strip on the awning. Help, is there another fuse? We looked behind switch box but did not see anything. Since the logo light comes on we figured the problem was not there. Any ideas and suggestions would be welcomed.
Ammcgill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light, lights