Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
Cracker

Securing Television for Travel

I tried several different searches but apparently I didn’t use the magic words. My 2005 29rls has a large cabinet to provide space for an old 27” tube-style TV. The cabinet is about 18” deep and it backs up to the bathroom. Until I figure out how to modify and use the excess space (—-linen cabinet in the bathroom, etc.) I’m currently using it for a 32” flat screen TV simply sitting on its’ own legs. So, in the interim, what’s a good way to tie this TV down for travel? None of the proprietary gadgets I’ve seen appear to work. I can always lay it down on the couch, but that’s just another “prep for travel” item that I would like to avoid.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Many new campers utilize a space like that by placing a piece of wood over it with hinges on one end and a strong catch on the other. This creates a "hidden compartment" for storing things out of sight. Lots of options here http://fasteningsolutions.com/RV.html
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
busterbrown

If the picture below is your floor plan and you want to modify that TV cabinet space in the near future for bathroom storage space, you could buy some pre-finished shelving from your local big box home improvement store and create a flush backing towards the front of that cabinet. This shelving is relatively inexpensive and it can be cut to fill in the entire opening. It looks like you'll have plenty of wood trim to work with to fabricate something.

Then you you permanently install a flat screen mount of your choice in the middle of that that new surface. A simple strap over the middle of the TV would secure it for travel. If you're planning to cut a opening in your bathroom wall to make use of that cabinet space, you may want to do it prior to boarding up the front.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	15753
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
MattHelm21

We traveled for a number of years with different 26-32 inch flat panels on stands in a similar opening. I think the first one was about 40 pounds. The last model we bought weighed probably only 5-10 pounds and even my DW could lift it. We stored all the flat panels on the master bed face down when traveling.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
Cracker

Frustration with the cold weather and snow showers made me retreat to the basement where I started eyeballing my trash treasures. I found a piece of 1/8” by 1” flat stock that was long enough to cross over both horizontal legs of the TV (they spread in the 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock direction) up near the base of the TV. I enscribed the angle of the legs on the flat stock and went to work cutting, heating and bending until I had two tabs bent down to capture the TV legs. I then drilled a 1/4” hole in the center of the flat stock, put a 3 1/2” bolt through it with a nut to lock it in place, and gave it a flat black paint job. All that’s needed now is to drill a 1/4” hole through the floor of the cabinet and secure it all with a wing nut and lock washer. It’s amazing what you can do when you get bored!
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
television