Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Model A Driver

Towing with a 1/2 ton in the Rockies

I use a 2004 Ford F-150, Supercab, 4X4, 3.55 ratio with a 5.4 Triton. 141k miles. I pull a 2014 Bullet 272BHS weighing dry at 5050. Truck max is 8300.
Using a 20% buffer and allowing 750 to 1000 for us and extras it numerically seems ok. However, when I tow in the North Carolina mountains its 25mph and screaming.
Having this qualified let's fast forward to late 2016 when I retire and head west. Going up a taller mountain will be harder but going down may be worse. Has anyone had any trouble with a similar set up? It is and has always been a great truck but I questioning whether it would be better to trade up.
Any comments? Thanks
Model A Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We did much the same with a Dodge 3/4 ton towing a 20' travel trailer in the Rockies. It was first gear at 4000 RPM up the mountain and "ride the brakes" down the other side. When we could afford it, we bought a diesel (non-turbo) and had much the same experience at altitude. Once we upgraded to a turbo diesel, we never had any towing problems at any altitude.

If you want to stay with a half ton, Ford's EcoBoost (gas) or the RAM Ecodiesel would be exceptional choices for towing at altitude. Or, you could just "stay in the far right lane" and accept being passed by most everything on the highway while climbing the passes. Depending on how much "mountain climbing" you have planned, it may not be financially beneficial to upgrade "just for that one trip"... but if you're going to be "in the mountains" much at all, you may want to look at something (gas or diesel) with a turbo.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
ImTravis

I agree, if you're going to do a lot of mountain driving, upgrade to diesel. When I moved from California to Kentucky, I towed a 1500 lbs pop up behind my trailblazer, w/ 6000 cap. Normal roads, didn't even notice it was behind me. Coastal mountains, same. Hit the big mountains out of Bakersfield, and I could definitely feel it. If it's financially feasible, I'd upgrade to a 3/4 diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Model A Driver

Thanks for your reply. There will be many trips to the west including Rockies. Perhaps a drive to Alaska. The towing capacity for the Ram Eco Diesel was 7950 on the Ram website although I have seen claim of towing 10k. Due to larger frame and bigger brakes the 3/4 route appeals to me. I guess 12 years is a pretty good run for the Ford.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I think you're on the right path. I drive the Rockies all the time. A 1/2 ton pulling a trailer of any size is out of it's element there. I've seen many rigs over their head on Wolf Creek Pass and that's not where you want to be. The heavier 3/4 ton will give you better control and better braking - use the tranny. A diesel will give you the oomph to go up without blowing, or smoking, your engine. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think you're on the right path. I drive the Rockies all the time. A 1/2 ton pulling a trailer of any size is out of it's element there. I've seen many rigs over their head on Wolf Creek Pass and that's not where you want to be. The heavier 3/4 ton will give you better control and better braking - use the tranny. A diesel will give you the oomph to go up without blowing, or smoking, your engine. Good luck.
In '83 or '84 I towed a 28' TT over Wolf Creek Pass with a Dodge Ramcharger powered by a 360.

When I hit the high altitude my truck was bogging down. I stopped at a Dodge dealership ~~ smallest dealer ever seen. The mechanic said he could tune it to run but when back in the flatlands it would need tuned again. He suggested putting diesel fuel in with every gas fill up. It worked! He said under load it would smoke and it did! Imagine what that would do to todays emission systems and injectors.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Driver View Post
Thanks for your reply. There will be many trips to the west including Rockies. Perhaps a drive to Alaska. The towing capacity for the Ram Eco Diesel was 7950 on the Ram website although I have seen claim of towing 10k. Due to larger frame and bigger brakes the 3/4 route appeals to me. I guess 12 years is a pretty good run for the Ford.
Be sure you check the payload capacity of any 1/2 ton Dodge before you buy one. I have looked at several and the payload is generally between 1100 and 1300 lbs unless you get a stripped down basic truck. The Ecodiesel looks really good but it's wed to a underperforming chassis when compared to Ford or GM. My Grand Cherokee has an equal payload to a well equipped quad cab Ram 1500 which baffles my mind. I wish I were joking!

We pull a TT around 4,600lbs with our Hemi Grand Cherokee in the Denver area. The Hemi is an awesome motor and I bet it would work well in a 3/4 ton Dodge. Going with a turbo diesel would be awesome, but that's a lot of money for me. If you don't mind taking your time, a gasser should be more than enough for the TT you're pulling.

If you're going to upgrade in a couple years, then get more truck, though
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
gtsum2

Agree on ram half tons. I had a 2013 Laramie and my payload sticker was 1061....embarrassing really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

I've driven the Rockies on both sides of the border as well as in BC's mountains and I would not want to be towing your TT with an 11-year-old 1/2T with a 3.55 rear end and a 5.4L V-8. I can't speak for the mountains in North Carolina so I can't compare grades -- lengths and steepness of grades in particular.

I would suggest that your guesstimate of 750 lbs of all your camping stuff ( clothing, food, dishes, etc. etc.) is underestimated and the weight would be more like 1000+ lbs.

If, as you say, you'll be doing a fair amount of travelling out west and driving for part of that in the mountains, I'd be very tempted to seriously consider a TV upgrade.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:33 AM   #10
Model A Driver

We do travel light but maybe not that light. Good point. Looks like I start searching for a 3/4 ton turbo diesel. There is no guess work in that decision. Thanks to all that have contributed and anyone else that may later.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:59 AM   #11
bsmith0404

I've towed across the Rockies many times, many different types of trailers and several different TVs. IMO, the diesel is nice when going up, but the gas will do the job as long as you don't mind taking it slow and getting passed. The biggest difference is on the downhill run. The exhaust brake on the new diesels is worth every penny extra that you pay for the motor and transmission. You can't put a price on setting a speed and having the exhaust brake kick in and maintain it without having to touch the brakes. There are so many different areas from Roton Pass in NM, Donner Pass in northern CA, to Eisenhower Pass in CO that have some pretty long and steep downgrade runs, the exhaust brake will be your best friend and you will never question your decision to buy a new diesel.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
old timer

The newer trucks are so much easier to tow with because of advances in the electronics. Power and fuel economy have also improved. With that being said. I have retired and got a diesel because we are going to do a cross country trip. I live in Norcal and mountains are everywhere. It made sense to step up to the 3/4 ton for us. The power is incredible. truck pulls my 5th wheel and doesn't miss a beat
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #13
ncbound123

Start looking at the "newer" used 3/4 ton trucks with the turbo diesel. If you play your cards right you can get a nice truck with most of the bells and whistles for a good price. When we picked up our 2009 Ram 2500 2.5 years ago it only had 74,000 miles on it and was just broken in good. Just keep searching and the truck is out there, you may have to travel a bit to get it but what you will save in money and towing aggravition is well worth the time spent. Just my .02 cents worth.
The finer things in life.
ncbound123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #14
squeak93

I went through the same debate 5 months ago. Had a very nicely optioned (loaded) 13 fx4 Ford with the 5.0 coyote and 3.55 gears. It pulled a 5-7k lb trailer in MO with ease however as you go up in elevation you loose efficiency (tow capacity) for each 1k above sea level. Going over Eisenhower Tunnel or Vail pass would equate me to a 3-4k lb travel trailer.

We choose to upgrade to a 15 Ram 2500 CTD (cummins). I am 150% happy with the trade. I ended up with a Tradesman line with the convenience package and a few nicer radio options (gave up Navigation/sunroof, leather etc) but am happy with the power etc now. We were able to purchase a much bigger/heavier trailer that fits our needs better than any of the ultra-lite small trailers that the half ton could pull.

And for the record I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 diesel trucks right now. Just buy the one with the looks and suspension (IFS or solid axle) you want.

Good Luck
Old 12-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #15
gtsum2

Agree there is no comparison coming down the mountain. Diesel exhaust brake is worth every penny of the extra 8k cost of the diesel. All of the big three diesel trucks r great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
dcg9381

I owned that truck and regularly towed 6k with it (boat) frequently. Great truck, but it's going to slow in the hills. You can get it up the hill if you've got the fuel and you're willing to go slow enough.

Braking is the concern. Before you set out on that adventure with that truck, I'd do 3 things:
1) Make sure you have a very good brake controller.
2) Make sure the trailer bearings and brakes are in good shape and fully functional.
3) Check the truck brakes - you cannot ride the brakes down the mountains - you'll boil out the fluid. Understand how to brake on those steep grades and use lower gears. I'd also highly recommend a synthetic brake fluid - this is what we use in track cars and it will reduce the probability of brake fluid boil out, which is a total brake failure...

The 5.4L triton, like the V10 Triton, is made to pull RPM... So let it.

If I was going to buy a new truck and needed to stay 1/2 ton and tow in the mountains, my choices would be:
1) Ford Ecoboost F-150
2) Dodge Eco-diesel

Your 5.4L will be down to 65-70% power in the passes due to density altitude. Turbos compensate for that. Naturally aspirated motors cannot.

I noticed Nissan is coming out with a 1/2 ton diesel truck in 2016, 5.0L - bigger than the dodge ecodiesel motor... I think the 1/2 ton market needs more diesel options.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
If I was going to buy a new truck and needed to stay 1/2 ton and tow in the mountains, my choices would be:
1) Ford Ecoboost F-150
2) Dodge Eco-diesel

Your 5.4L will be down to 65-70% power in the passes due to density altitude. Turbos compensate for that. Naturally aspirated motors cannot.

100% on the For5d F150. I had a 2015 E-boost 6 and pulled a 7000# TT from the coast of NC to Asheville. Only down hill did it ever see 6th gear pulling. usually ran in 5th gear but dropped to 4th on hills while maintaining 60 - 65 mph. Sort of rural, not hwy, not city 22 - 23 mpg was common. Attach the TT and it dropped to 9.3. Once the decision was made to buy a new 5er an F250 diesel was purchased. Now getting around 11 mph towing 12000+#. Always use the 'tow/haul' when anything is attached.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
old timer

Elevation is not much of a factor with the newer trucks. The computers are so much better than just a few years ago. Pulling a boat with the F150 ecoboost is ok but even some boats can be a bit much for the brakes on that small of truck. When towing gas millage sucks with a gas truck. I get 14.8 towing my 14,000 lb 5th wheel. I havent really towed in the mountains yet but I bet I dont get to 10 MPG. You may think down the road when buying a truck because if you are like me I keep them forever. so if you upgrade to a bigger boat ot 5th wheel you may need more truck.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Elevation is not much of a factor with the newer trucks. The computers are so much better than just a few years ago. Pulling a boat with the F150 ecoboost is ok but even some boats can be a bit much for the brakes on that small of truck. When towing gas millage sucks with a gas truck. I get 14.8 towing my 14,000 lb 5th wheel. I havent really towed in the mountains yet but I bet I dont get to 10 MPG. You may think down the road when buying a truck because if you are like me I keep them forever. so if you upgrade to a bigger boat ot 5th wheel you may need more truck.
I'm hoping my 2016 F250 towing about the same gets even near 14. Now getting almost 11. It only has 800 miles on it ~~ about 130 towing. So far all towing has been along the coast with no mountains, not even hills.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'm hoping my 2016 F250 towing about the same gets even near 14. Now getting almost 11. It only has 800 miles on it ~~ about 130 towing. So far all towing has been along the coast with no mountains, not even hills.
My fuel mileage is very much the same as yours. With about 1000 miles on the truck, we towed our Cougar XLite fifth wheel from Michigan west through several states, over the Rockies in Wyoming and then back over them in Colorado on the return leg. The XLite weighs about 9000 loaded for travel and we usually travel between 62-68 MPH. The average SOLO mileage is about 18 MPG and the average TOWING mileage for the nearly 8000 miles was 11.2 MPG.

I really don't expect to get much better since the truck is now over 10,000 miles and I think it's probably "broken in" and the mileage has "peaked"...

We have the 3.31 axle ratio and hardly ever drop out of 6th gear towing.

As a comparison, our 2013 F250 had the gas 6.2L with 3.73 axle ratios. We averaged around 15MPG SOLO and about 8.2 MPG TOWING with around 11000 miles towing and 14000 miles SOLO.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000 damon mh -totaled, 2004 f-150 supercab, 2014 bullet 272bhs