Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
kfxgreenie

Smell in front of 2012 Cougar 327RES when sun is on front cap.

Ok, have a new to us this year, 2012 327RES that has a bad smell on a hot day, or really any day where the sun can beat on the front cap. The smell seems to be coming out of where the TV shelf hole deal is. It is a smell I cannot describe, not a dead animal smell, but is horrid. Once it cools off and is air'd out the smell is gone until the cap gets hot again then boom. Any idea's? I know one of these days when I'm not busy I need to pull the shelf and drawers out just to make sure nothing is in there. Its just odd its only that one side and really only seems to come out of the TV opening......
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Brantlaker

Having a 318SAB with the same bedroom layout the first thing I would do would be to remove the drawers to verify that nothing is there if it is empty and clean then I would look for water marks on the paneling. If so go on the roof check for any possible way that water could leak into the wall. If it has been leaking for a long time there might be mold and that would cause the odor when the Temp rises.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Javi

Does it by any chance smell like rotten eggs?

Or....

Might there be a washer drain in that closet...
Old 09-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Does it by any chance smell like rotten eggs?

Or....

Might there be a washer drain in that closet...
I just can't describe the smell, kind of a chemical smell of sorts IMO. I'll check for water intrusion. I've been on the roof a few times, washed it and conditioned it all looked good to me but a closer inspection may be needed. I'll also have to check for the washer dryer hookup. The newer units are set up for a wa/dr right there so it is a possibility. I need to pull out the drawers, your suggestions are helpful. Just asked the wife what kind of smell she thought it was she said not rotten animal or sorts, then asked her if it was gassy, and she said the first time she smelt it she did describe it to me as a gassy chemical smell. Might be on the right track if the trap is dry and its releasing grey gas up in there when hot.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
{tpc}

I know its a few years older, but maybe its still outgassing chameical smell from the boards or whatever else they use to construct the trailer?

This is our second season, so still a little newer, but the trailer still has that "new trailer" smell to it. And any clothes we bring and put in the closets and remove after a short trip, also has some of that smell attached as well.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
kfxgreenie

So i took the drawers out and didn't seem to find much, one loose drawer support laying in the bottom. Possibly a little bit of water marks on the bottom of the drawer supports? Or could that just be assembly glue? I would think if it were water it would be more than just at the corners and all the "wall paper" looks OK intact no signs of water. I suppose I should rip out that loose piece of paneling on the side and see if there is anything in that boxed out corner, of the "max turn". I would assume that is just the corner build out. Whatcha all think?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #7
rjsurfer

That sure looks like water seepage at the corners of the frame to me.

Maybe pull up the carpet a bit for a sanity check?

Best of luck

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
Brantlaker

At this point I would drill a 1-2in hole in the back boards to see what is in there if nothing then you can cover and seal the holes once the draws are back in nobody is going to see them. Did the smell get stronger when the draws were removed?

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
kfxgreenie

At this time there is zero smell. It has gotten cool here low 60's for highs this past week, and an odor eliminator, and there is zero smell now. i threw the drawers back in for now. This looks like it may be a job for next summer when the heat returns and i can chase the smell down. I've never really smelled it from in the drawers area though its as if it comes out of the tv hole only. no sign of wa/dr hookup either.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

If your Cougar has exterior "Docking Lights", remove them to gain access to both bottom corners of the area between the front cap and interior wall. You won't be able to see much but you can tell if the insulation is getting wet. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
airforceret

Could it be a venting issue from the black or grey tanks into the attic space that is migrating forward into the front cap and being recirculated through the open hole you speak of?

My black tank will often times have a chemical smell to it when it is working properly in the heat of the day.

Roger
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #12
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If your Cougar has exterior "Docking Lights", remove them to gain access to both bottom corners of the area between the front cap and interior wall. You won't be able to see much but you can tell if the insulation is getting wet. JM2˘, Hank
It does, but there in a flat area kind of in the middle above the mirror. Like the photo below shows....

Old 10-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
kfxgreenie

And ill check the tank vents, make sure there sealed good at the roof and to the vent pipes all things are a possibility. Keep up the suggestions its all possible.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
byrdr1

I have the 2011 and I have never had a smell like your are taking about. I hope you can find the source. We have the same layout. Not sure if you would have washer hookups.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #15
Campy

It's also pretty easy to access the back side of the front cap by removing interior panels in that front closet. I had a 12v charging port in the closet that quit working and I had to get behind it to fix a bad wire crimp.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
It's also pretty easy to access the back side of the front cap by removing interior panels in that front closet. I had a 12v charging port in the closet that quit working and I had to get behind it to fix a bad wire crimp.
Ok, I'll ask my next dumb question then. I contemplated ripping out some of the paneling behind the drawers, but seen aluminum structure behind it. It is obvious that Keystone's air staples and brads don't stick in the aluminum very well, as half of the "trim" is hanging and loose behind the drawers and in the closet. I wasn't quite sure how i'd properly reattach it, so I figured id leave well enough alone as the smell didn't stink right now. So now the rest of the story? If i take the paneling off to inspect how would you reattach? I have an air stapler, and brad nailer, but i don't see them holding any better than what was done at the factory?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Ok, I'll ask my next dumb question then. I contemplated ripping out some of the paneling behind the drawers, but seen aluminum structure behind it. It is obvious that Keystone's air staples and brads don't stick in the aluminum very well, as half of the "trim" is hanging and loose behind the drawers and in the closet. I wasn't quite sure how i'd properly reattach it, so I figured id leave well enough alone as the smell didn't stink right now. So now the rest of the story? If i take the paneling off to inspect how would you reattach? I have an air stapler, and brad nailer, but i don't see them holding any better than what was done at the factory?
The panels I removed in the front closet were screwed in place. If I had loose panels or trim and I ABSOLUTLY KNEW what was behind the panels I would use short small head trim screws. You can get them with colored heads to match. The tiny nails/brads/staples the factory uses don't hold very well or very long.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #18
Blondeegal

We have odd odor too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Ok, have a new to us this year, 2012 327RES that has a bad smell on a hot day, or really any day where the sun can beat on the front cap. The smell seems to be coming out of where the TV shelf hole deal is. It is a smell I cannot describe, not a dead animal smell, but is horrid. Once it cools off and is air'd out the smell is gone until the cap gets hot again then boom. Any idea's? I know one of these days when I'm not busy I need to pull the shelf and drawers out just to make sure nothing is in there. Its just odd its only that one side and really only seems to come out of the TV opening......
So we have the same year/model.............we too have noticed an odd smell, but it comes mostly from the drawers, and does seem to be most noticeable when sun is beating on the nose cap. We kind of thought it smelled chemical-like. Were concerned it could be propane, but we have checked all connections, etc., and have not found anything. Were going to remove drawers as you did to investigate, but have yet to figure out how to get the drawers out, without busting them. Keep us posted on anything you may find, and we will do the same.

2012 Cougar 327RES
2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Blondeegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondeegal View Post
So we have the same year/model.............we too have noticed an odd smell, but it comes mostly from the drawers, and does seem to be most noticeable when sun is beating on the nose cap. We kind of thought it smelled chemical-like. Were concerned it could be propane, but we have checked all connections, etc., and have not found anything. Were going to remove drawers as you did to investigate, but have yet to figure out how to get the drawers out, without busting them. Keep us posted on anything you may find, and we will do the same.
If you pull the drawers out to their full extension, on the inside of each drawer guide, you'll find a plastic insert. In the center of those inserts is a small, thin "lever". Push down on the lever on the right side and push up on the lever on the left side and the drawer guide should release the drawer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #20
Blondeegal

Got drawers out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you pull the drawers out to their full extension, on the inside of each drawer guide, you'll find a plastic insert. In the center of those inserts is a small, thin "lever". Push down on the lever on the right side and push up on the lever on the left side and the drawer guide should release the drawer.
We got the drawers out per your excellent instructions! Thanks!
Now, what we found was the the same as the original posting-panel had come loose in the corner, exposing some insulation. Trying not to disrupt original construction, stuck my hand in as far as I could and from what I can tell only thing in there is the insulation. SO, am wondering if it is the insulation that is causing the odor when the sun is beating on the nose cap.
We have had the unit since it was new, and did not notice it in the beginning. So my theory is that maybe the panel was sealed in the beginning, worked itself apart after a while and the opening is allowing the smell of the insulation to escape into the drawer area.
After we disposed of the brads that had worked their way out, we reattached panel by using about half a dozen #8 small x3/4 self tapping sheet metal screws to secure panel to corner strut. As there is no corner trim, used a small bead of caulking to fill in gap.
Headed to to Tucson, so will let you know if this sealed up the escaping odor!

2012 Cougar 327RES
2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Blondeegal is offline   Reply With Quote