Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
slackeribew

front jacks go in opposite directions

Hi all, I have situation after loading my 2006 keystone montana 3475rl 36' I was raising my front jacks, as you know you can only see one side as I raised my jacks the left side was up and as I walked around the the other side it was exteneded. I pushed the botton to retract the left side went down and the right up. Has anyone seen or heard of this and what might have caused this to happen? Is their a sequence they have to be put back in? The motor seems to be working and I have disconected the shafts to raise independently. Any help would be much appreciated. Mike
slackeribew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Jager

Some how that seems impossible. Has it always done this? If not (and i think not) then someone is messing with you. Do you have any practical joke "friends"? I'd start there.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Sounds to me like your return line is kinked, collapsed, or pinched. When the jacks/cyclinders are retracted the fluid has to return to the reservoir. If something is preventing the fluid from returning you will just push the fluid back and forth between the two cylinders. Basically as the fluid is being removed or pumped out of one, its being pushed into the other instead of back to the reservoir. I guess it's possible that there is a synchronization issue, but I've never heard of that on RV jacks. I'd check all of the lines/valves and if you don't find anything that looks out of the ordinary, call Lippert.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
slackeribew

no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Some how that seems impossible. Has it always done this? If not (and i think not) then someone is messing with you. Do you have any practical joke "friends"? I'd start there.
no it hasn't done this always, I believe maybe they were over extended and got out of sequence some how. gears might have reversed some way or another. I have it on site, but might have to move some day, I would like to figure out what to do.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
RdRmr

Have you had them serviced recently?
I had this happen to me once on my previous 5er, was my fault. I had to replaced the bevel gears in the head of each leg (worn out) upon reassembly I installed one of the bevel gears facing the wrong way on the drive rod. One leg went up and the other down when I activated the jacks. Stood back, scratched my head saying "What the heck". Finally realized what it was, flipped the gear so it faced the other way and all was well. Also replaced and greased the Acme threaded rods that go down to the foot plates. Hope this helps. Happy Campin..

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
slackeribew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRmr View Post
Have you had them serviced recently?
I had this happen to me once on my previous 5er, was my fault. I had to replaced the bevel gears in the head of each leg (worn out) upon reassembly I installed one of the bevel gears facing the wrong way on the drive rod. One leg went up and the other down when I activated the jacks. Stood back, scratched my head saying "What the heck". Finally realized what it was, flipped the gear so it faced the other way and all was well. Also replaced and greased the Acme threaded rods that go down to the foot plates. Hope this helps. Happy Campin..
Was it do to over extending, Did you fix your self? what was the procedure if you can help. The gear box seems to be fine. The jacks are on blocks and don't have anyway to raise trailer at the moment, but I'm glad someone else has had this issue, everybody tells me i'm nuts.I loaded the trailer and as i was retracing the left was going up and i assumed the right was going up also.as you can't see the right one go down with looking underneath the trailer, by the time I noticed it was fully extended,so i just yanked the trailer forward of the block. And proceded to figure what was going on, dumbfounded.Your help would much be appreciated. Thanks Mike
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
RdRmr

slackeribew,
Yes, I repaired them myself. I ordered the repair kit and once I received it hooked up to the truck, raised the jacks and pulled them off at the house.
Need some info; are your front jacks driven by one motor or two? If there are two is it possible the wiring to one of them has gotten reversed somehow? They are electric aren't they?
I'm on the road right now and won't be back online for a few days.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
VET/USMC
Old 07-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
slackeribew

jacks

Quote:
slackeribew,
Yes, I repaired them myself. I ordered the repair kit and once I received it hooked up to the truck, raised the jacks and pulled them off at the house.
Need some info; are your front jacks driven by one motor or two? If there are two is it possible the wiring to one of them has gotten reversed somehow? They are electric aren't they?
I'm on the road right now and won't be back online for a few days.
They are electric with one motor.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
RdRmr

If they are controlled by one motor I don't see how one goes up as the other goes down without something being changed. There are two units out on the market, one by Lippert and the other by Atwood. I have an exploded view parts list somewhere that I've been unable to locate right now. Also have two pages of operating instructions that I can't get attached to this message, sorry.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
VET/USMC
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
slackeribew

Question

Quote:
If they are controlled by one motor I don't see how one goes up as the other goes down without something being changed. There are two units out on the market, one by Lippert and the other by Atwood. I have an exploded view parts list somewhere that I've been unable to locate right now. Also have two pages of operating instructions that I can't get attached to this message, sorry.
they worked fine until i loaded the rv on the truck and started lowering that's all i know one uup and one down. Iguess i'll take it to a dealer thanx anyway, mike