Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Old Bear

First Camping Trip -Quincy, IL

Yay, first camping trip! This was to Driftwood RV at Quincy, IL. We were very happy with the campground, everything went well. Except for the TV failing. I was expecting it, no biggie, helped out the local economy and talked my way into a discount at Best Buy for a new, bigger screen. Oh, the other "except" was blowing the pressure hose off the turbo 150 miles from home on the way back, DAMN! This was made worse by not seeing what the problem was and making temporary repairs. Instead, we limped home doing an average speed of around 35mph. Adding to the misery, my daughter is driving the truck (first time pulling anything this size), while my son-in-law and I follow on our bikes, and then we run into a nasty thunderstorm in the dark! A trip to remember! And not repeat ... at least not like that! Already have new hoses to install, and these should never blow off!

Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
denverpilot

Congrats on the first outing, I think...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
TandE

Some people have had problems with the boots on these trucks. I have removed mine and reinstalled them a couple of times and had no problems. When you reinstall them you have to make sure the ridge on the tube is past the clamp location on the boot and proper torque.

Although some have said they have done that and it still happens it is most likely caused by the ccv system (crankcase ventilation) and the oil that is in the put into the charge air cooler and heat. They say if you remove them and clean them really good and then spray hair spray on the connection spots it helps seal them. If those two things don't work new boots are in order. Which I see you've got already so just clean the areas real good and you should be set.

Good luck!

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Old Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Some people have had problems with the boots on these trucks. I have removed mine and reinstalled them a couple of times and had no problems. When you reinstall them you have to make sure the ridge on the tube is past the clamp location on the boot and proper torque.

Although some have said they have done that and it still happens it is most likely caused by the ccv system (crankcase ventilation) and the oil that is in the put into the charge air cooler and heat. They say if you remove them and clean them really good and then spray hair spray on the connection spots it helps seal them. If those two things don't work new boots are in order. Which I see you've got already so just clean the areas real good and you should be set.

Good luck!
Travis
Not taking any chances! I ordered these from Dieselsite. I heard of guys using these hoses with boost levels over double what I can generate with the stock turbo, and the oil will have no affect on them. Hopefully, problem solved!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Rick1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Not taking any chances! I ordered these from Dieselsite. I heard of guys using these hoses with boost levels over double what I can generate with the stock turbo, and the oil will have no affect on them. Hopefully, problem solved!

Everyone on the Ford forum swears by the ones you get from Riffraff. http://www.riffraffdiesel.com. Waiting to order a hot side kit myself.

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat crew cab 6.0 Powerstroke
2013 cougar 21rbswe
Rick1300 is offline   Reply With Quote