Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Trent McCain

2008 Copper Canyon 297FWBHS Modifications

We are a young family in our 30's and purchased this like-new coach from the original owners. It's not the best floor plan or highest quality, but fits our needs for now and best of all there's no lein on it. In the bedroom , there are closets on either side of the bed, we mainly take weekend trips packing summer clothes, so we didn't need alot of space to hang garments. I see where others have made shelves to add space. I'm not a carpenter, so a quick trip to Wal-Mart netted some plastic organizers with drawers. they fit the space well, and can be removed if we need to change the arrangement. In the kitchen we added a weather station with the remote sensor attatched to the pinbox via a magnetic key holder. As others have commented, there are no towel racks in the bathroom, or space in this one for that matter. (I really miss the walk through bath on our '91 Excel) I had some wood towel bars I'd bought for the house and never installed. When my contractor was working on the house, I had him stain alittle wood and mount them in the 5th wheel. I was concerned with a 6yr old daughter who's too short to lift the towell off the bar, if she pulled the towel off, it wouldn't be too long and the bar would be pulled out of the wall if we used plastic anchors. He installed one set high with coat hooks, and another set lower. For a TP holder we set on on the floor, and then installed a cheap particle board shelve under the cabinet for more storage. I had my graphics shop modify our company logo and match it to the stripe colors on the trailer. Out back, we installed a hitch and mud flaps. I used regular plastic flaps and then notched them to fit around the bumper brackets. They are attached with U bolts. I also installed the 7-way receptical the same way. I also didn't want to lose the square plugs in the bumper, so I found a fender washer that would fit inside the plug and then took a large cotter-pin and inserted it through the hole. I spread the ends, and that left a nice loop to attach a short piece of chain to, which is attached to the bumper ends. Now if the caps vibrate out, or I forget to insert them, they won't be lost. Overall, we enjoy the camper, sure there are things we'd change, but for now this one works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	402725_10150633715814303_1366795954_n.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	3051   Click image for larger version

Name:	418193_10150633722539303_823848142_n.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	3052   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1196.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	3054   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1200.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	3055   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1197.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	3056  

Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Trent -
Welcome to the forum and you've done a great job with the modifications! These mods go a long way to make your Copper Canyon feel more personal - a nice touch.

I noticed the hitch that you have installed and wondering if it is just attached to the bumper or somehow attached to the frame?
In view of some of the issues some members have had regarding bumper separation caused by fatigue, stress or failed welds, I would not attach a ball hitch to the bumper alone. The bumper is made of thin metal and not designed for carrying heavy weights or for hauling boats, ATVs, etc. At best, it is suitable and safe for a spare tire only.

From the photo, it is hard to tell whether or not your bumper and hitch has been modified so that it is welded and reinforced to the frame or whether the ball hitch is simply secured to the bumper by U-bolts.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Trent McCain

Thanks for the comments. Yes the hitch wraps around and bolts to the bumper (not hung under with U bolts though), and I do realize it's limitations. I chose this particular one as it would be easy to reinforce if necessary. We carefully inspected frame, welds, bumper prior to installation, and periodically after. Our boat is fairly light, and the axle has been slid ahead on the trailer, so tounge weight is minimal. When my parents ordered the boat new in '81 they towed it with a Chevy mini truck, so that's why the axle was moved, I've never changed it and it's towed beautifully for the last 30 years. I also have the reciever with a minimal amount of drop and the trailer sits level, to lessen the twisting effect on the bumper due to excess leverage. I wouldn't dream of hauling anything heavier, as it is, and for piece of mind might reinforce this one alittle anyways. It would be very easy with this hitch to bridge the frame with iron, and bolt/weld everything together. In all fairness, from what I understand there isn't a Keystone trailer certified to pull behind anyways, so we are all at risk regardless according to the factory. Excel for one I know has allowed a factory hitch on their units, but I'm unaware of others.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote