Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Randy_K

Pick up day < kind of >

After putting down our deposit on a Passport Elite 23RB 7 months ago it was time to go get it.

We had arranged to do the PDI then camp one night in the new trailer. The PDI went smooth and although there are a few small issues we decided to fix them ourselves. The dealer is going to send some parts to our house and we will do the repairs.

Part of the deal was for the dealer to do the wiring on my truck. < 2010 Ford F150 >. They mounted the brake controller then finished up the set up of the WD hitch for me. When they went to plug in the trailer to the truck they seemed surprised that i did not have a 7 pin hook up. I was told that i had to return home without the trailer and have a Ford dealer put a 7 pin hook up on my truck then do the 5 hour round trip again to pick up the trailer. The dealer did throw in the 12V disconnect they had installed for me to help with the inconvenience. < $150.00 >

My question is " is it that hard to have a 7 pin plug put in the truck " ? What did they plug the brake controller to ?

They did set up the trailer on a campsite to use for one night. i think im going to like this better then the tent.

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
x96mnn

7 pin connector is not that hard to install or have installed. The break controller would be connected to your factory breaking system, most likely a wire harness adapter that plugs in under the dash.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
mhs4771

I'm supprised the Dealer didn't have an adapter set-up. Many Auto Parts Stores sell them as most trucks have a connector up behind the bumper that you pull apart and insert this T adapter with the seven pin connector attached and you're good to go. Now for a disclaimer, we've only had GM TVs so Ford may be different, but I know I've seen the adapter Ts hanging on the wall for just about every truck out there. I would call a couple of places like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc and see if you could locate something. Would avoid paying the Ford Dealer big bucks for plugging in an adapter.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
GaryWT

Good luck getting it all done, would have thought that the dealer would have been able to do it as you stood there. If they have a RV store they probably sell them right there. Anyway, glad you were able to camp anyway.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
enyapp

Check out etrailer.com (the advertisement was showing in your original post when I opened the thread). I bought a few things from them and did it myself on my Ford Expedition. They have instructional videos showing you just how to do it on there website. The Hopkins type of seven pin connectosr are available at walmart or auto parts stores. There are different ways to hook it all up. You can wire it directly, use adapters or buy harnesses. I went with the 4-pin to 7-pin adapter and spliced in the power (which was ran in the factory harness to below the driver side rear door) with a 10 foot section of 10-12 gauge wire and the trailer brakes which was ran in the factory harness all the way to the 4-pin and pigtailed (labeled but not connected to anything). Hope this helps!
enyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Randy_K

I checked around and found a local Ford dealer with a harness in stock. $95.00 plus install. Unfortunately i dont have much time to mess around. I have to go get my trailer next Saturday so i can go on vacation < other direction > on Monday. I found it strange that a place that sells trailers and break controller dos not do this type of work.

Randy

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
440justin

Nice looking setup. I have the same camper and same color F150 (extend cab)

Check under your bumper, if you have wiring to that point this is all you should need. http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20101172005

Or if you only have the 4 way connector you can do something like this.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440justin View Post
Nice looking setup. I have the same camper and same color F150 (extend cab)

Check under your bumper, if you have wiring to that point this is all you should need. http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20101172005

Or if you only have the 4 way connector you can do something like this.

Good luck.
That connector is way cheaper then the one Ford has , like a 1/3 of the price. If i had more time i think i would go that route. The wealth of information and help on this forum is amazing.

My wife is going to take the truck to the dealer Friday am. I dont have a day off until Saturday and i need to pick up the trailer then so i can go on my vacation two days later. Hopefully it will work out , my luck has not been too good lately.

Randy

2013 Passport Elite 23RB