Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
DaveK

Upgrading Wheels and Tires

Can anyone tell me if the Goodyear G114 - 215/75R17.5H with new 17.5' Hi-Spec aluminum rims will fit on my 2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE?

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160807
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
KenBob

I had 235/80r16 tires with 8 lug wheels and installed the G114 17.5" tires. The G114s are the same diameter as the OE 235/16 tires. IF you have the 8 lug wheels and 16" tires/wheels you should have no problem. Just need to know if you have 1/2" or 9/16" studs on the drums when you order. The 2nd pic has the OE tire and 2 new 17.5s. The first is 3 new 17.5s.

Be aware that the G114s have a max pressure of 120 psi. I have a 30 gallon, 7hp compressor that auto shuts off at 120 psi. It will not fill tires to 120psi. Most home compressors need to work hard to get to 100 psi. If you decide to run at max pressure, you may have to tow to a truck stop or tire shop to get the tires to max pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17.5 wheels.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1809   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.5 wheels1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1810  
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
smiller

There are some small, portable air compressors that go to 150 psi (I have the one below and it works well, although I have not tested it filling to 120 psi.)

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...=1347399752898
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Goodyear G114 - 215/75R17.5H with new 17.5' Hi-Spec aluminum rims will fit on my 2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE?

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160807
You are doing what the tire industry referees to as “plus sizing". Most people not familiar with the procedures will not get it right. Many that will read this reference will not have seen the procedure before.

Plus sizing starts on page 15. Use all steps applicable to your particular plus sizing situation. Appendixes A2, A3#, and A4 apply.

http://www.tiresafety.com/images/Tir...t%20Manual.pdf

CW

p.s. Yes, those tires will work. Many suppliers will offer the correct tire/rim combinations already installed for RV zero offset applications. It’s the best way to go monetarily
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Avofarmer66

Nitro in tires

The last trailer I had from Forestriver had Nitrogen and the Dodge Ram 2012 has Nitro and the DW's Fusion has Nitro.

I hear race cars, air planes, tanker trucks with super single tires use nitrogen as nitro is more stable and cooler. True???

Is it OK for my Montana tires?
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
SkiSmuggs

Other than sometimes having to pay for it, there is no downside to nitrogen in tires. Costco has been doing it for years and I have gone for a couple of years on those tires without pressure loss. Nitrogen is also less susceptible to heat build up which is why it is used by NASCAR.
Some folks say we just don't need it just as some say we don't need synthetic oil and I say each to his own.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

HI please call it ntrogen not nitro, some one will think you mean nitromathane not on this thread however. nitrogen is great and you are correct in the applications you mentioned. i have it in my camper but not in my truck. as i change the pressures often when i run light load or full. running my truck on max pressures with no load really has a bad effect... on my bladder my cars are on nitrogen and so is my tractor with the snow blower.all good tire shops have it. that was a great link to the plus sizeing.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
smiller

Nitrogen won't hurt (as long as it's free) but it's worth noting that it also won't help anything either so it's not worth paying extra for as many snake oil purveyors like to claim (nor is it 'less sensitive to heat build up', whatever that means.) There are two benefits to nitrogen in tires: First, in tires on the Space Shuttle or high-performance aircraft that have to survive accelerating from 0 to 150 mph in a fraction of a second the nitrogen displaces oxygen that can be dangerous should the tire ignite. Unless your RV also accelerates from 0 to 150 mph in an instant then you might not want to sweat this one. Second, nitrogen is used because compressed nitrogen is cheap and dryer than compressed air, and it's moisture in tire air that can cause small changes in pressure (the nitrogen itself doesn't matter much, in fact regular air is already 78% nitrogen.) These small pressure changes might matter to an Indy or NASCAR driver running at the limits but are meaningless for an RV or regular passenger car.

In short, the fact that Space Shuttle or Indy cars might use nitrogen in their tires has no bearing whatsoever on why you should use it in your RV. The people selling it to you just hope you don't know that.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
SkiSmuggs

From Tire Rack:
What are the effects of using pure nitrogen to inflate tires?

Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in ambient temperature (about one psi for every 10° Fahrenheit). Nitrogen filled tires will require pressure be added during the fall/winter months as ambient temperatures and tire pressures drop. Nitrogen is good but can't change the laws of physics.
Nitrogen reduces the loss of tire pressure due to permeation through rubber over time by about 1/3. This helps maintain the vehicle's required tire pressures a little longer, but doesn’t eliminate the need for monthly tire pressure checks. This is good for people who don’t maintain their vehicles well.
Nitrogen is non-corrosive and will reduce oxidation and rust due to the absence of oxygen and moisture. This will help minimize wheel corrosion to promote better bead sealing. Tires that are used routinely will be replaced long before any life benefit would be received by using Nitrogen. This is most beneficial for drivers who drive their vehicles infrequently (car collectors, track drivers, snow tire users, motor home owners, etc).
Nitrogen is a dry gas and will not support moisture that could contribute to corrosion of the tire’s steel components (bead, sidewall reinforcement and belts) due to the absence of moisture over extended periods of time. However it’s important to remember that atmospheric pressure is constantly pushing oxygen and moisture into the rubber from the outside of the tire. This is especially good for low mileage drivers who don't wear out their tires quickly or those that run average annual mileages but use long wearing radial (60K and 80K warranted) tires.
Nitrogen assures more consistent pressure increases due to increases in operating temperatures in a racing environment because of the absence of moisture. This is especially good for participants in track days, high-performance drivers education schools and road racing.
Drivers should use standard air if pressure adjustments are required when a local source of nitrogen can’t be found during a trip. While this reduces the benefit of higher nitrogen content, it is far better than running the tires underinflated in search of a source. Often the original nitrogen provider will refill the tires for free or a nominal cost when the driver returns to his hometown.