Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
TNT Miller

Dealer prep cost

Does keystone pay the dealer to do a PDI if so about how much
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
billstuart

I was told by our dealership's Sales Manager that Keystone considers the PDI part of the dealer's cost of doing business and does not reimburse their dealers for the PDI. That could account for some of the issues we face with new units. If you're working for free, how much time are you going to spend verifying the build quality of something that SHOULD be right coming out of the factory?

The automotive industry, as a whole, seems to take quality - measured in defects per unit built - and customer satisfaction much more seriously than the RV industry. One way that shows is that auto dealers are reimbursed for the PDI. The manufacturers monitor dealer performance and if a dealer submits a high number of warranty claims for items that should have been caught and repaired during the PDI, the dealer can be sanctioned. We can only hope that RV manufacturers will take notice and change their ways.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
mikell

If a dealer gives you any grief about a PDI either you doing it or them or preferably both. RUN

Lots of hungry dealers out there. Mine I spent the night in the unit in their lot for free.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

The dealer is compensated for the PDI in the markup over their cost that they charge you .... it's called PROFIT. Their staff is being paid whether they are with you or sitting in the office drinking coffee. When you buy a new car you are charged "Dealer Prep" ... now that's a rip off. If a rv dealer says he is not getting paid for doing a PDI than he sold the trailer for too little money ...... Like that might ever happen. Make them earn their money just like you have to. Before you sign on the dotted line.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
therink

I was told by a tech at my dealer that the dealer is provided a set prep allowance for every unit delivered to their dealership. The allowance is provided to go through unit, clean it, repair all minor fit and finish issues and provide a pdi for the buyer. The larger units have a larger allowance. This makes sense and also makes sense that dealers would like to pocket this allowance for the least amount of work. This is why I believe some people have so many issues right off the lot.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Devildogmom

Lightbulb Pure Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The dealer is compensated for the PDI in the markup over their cost that they charge you .... it's called PROFIT. Their staff is being paid whether they are with you or sitting in the office drinking coffee. When you buy a new car you are charged "Dealer Prep" ... now that's a rip off. If a rv dealer says he is not getting paid for doing a PDI than he sold the trailer for too little money ...... Like that might ever happen. Make them earn their money just like you have to. Before you sign on the dotted line.
That means that you should get a better PDI from General RV since they charge $1000 for a PDI!