Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

First weekend out! 2021 290BHS

As Bill Pullman said in 'Independance day': "not bad. not bad at all."

WE set it up in the driveway lest weekend to load our MH stuff into it, get a feel for where to put stuff.

Cons: Motorhomes have crap ton more under space, with metal boxes so if something is wet damp or icky, it wont rot your floor

Bought some sterlite tubs from walmart, just cheapies, to put wet damp icky stuff in, like the freshwater hoses and filters and y valves etc

The standard from factory queen bed mattress is 2 2.5" thick low density foam sheets, in a cover. Its a lot like insulation, without the itch.

Walmart had a 'AllsWell" 10" thick hybrid meory foam and inner spring matress for $320. RV matresses in 60x80 are booking $700 plus. Even Northern Nights rollups (from HSN or QVC) are over 6. we took the risk, took the 120# box in the coach and undid it there as they resuck fast.

We love it. firm enuf, choggling of one person does not affect the other. Putting the matress topper and the fitted sheet in the 290 bedroom aint the easiest thing in the world.

Point MH: the rear queen wrassle palace is much easier to move around in. WE do NOT ever want a bedroom slide.

Everything worked, HW on gas (gets warmer faster and recovers faster than the 110v coils - I dont think those are intended for production.

Furnace worked great, hit low 40's, set it to 65 and cracked a roof vent

First breakfast on the stove. Wife misses the 4 burner suburban in the MH but I guess they just dont make them anymore?

Pro: The GE res was PERFECT. Got frosty in the freezer fast. They suck a lot of juice but on 'shorepower' could not ask for better and zero noise.

Con: still look askance at the HW tank and furnace vents being on the awning side. First off, you can smell the exhaust (hence CO entry) if the door it on screen, and not so much the furnace, but I would think in the summer, makes under the awing hot. catch-22: run it on electric in the summer then you run out of amps if you are in Cape May NJ with the AC full throttle and someone needs the microwave...

The 1200# bars made the difference at 'drop-3', had perhaps 2 inches of squat in the bus. As god intended. At normal speeds the old skool Bus moved it with ease. I might move my 4L80E project up a bit...

Later today: start testing parasite 12v loads and making an energy budget. Likely wont boonbock this fall...would like to get down to Kelletville but they close in the next few weeks and they get busy as various shootin seasons come in (if you like ringneck its located right next to a prime location). Got some wiring diagrams off the interwebs so eyeing up some mods to the Furian radio/dvd and the KeyTV to make them boondock friendly.

Lookin to do Clear Creek SF and Kalyumet before putaway. Lastly for now...these power awnings are cute and all that, but invest in awning tie downs...
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
jasin1

Nice to hear the good attitude and good experience so far.
Is kinda strange having the exhaust under the awning but guess the floor plan dictated it..use a fan maybe?..may never be a problem but who knows
Old 09-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Ed wrote, "We love it. firm enuf, choggling of one person does not affect the other."

Come on Ed, this is a family site and no "choggling" allowed! Heck, I am not sure I ever heard that word prior but it sounds... well, questionable bhwhahahahaha Glad you had a great outing. RV mattresses are from the lowest bidder which means quality isn't priority #1. We replaced our RV queen (it was original 2002) with a 14" pillow top full queen identical to the king sized version in our home.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
wegone

I use my propane to fire up my WH quickly once I park, if I need it, then switch over to electric since its included in site cost. Never run out of hot water...and it quite, unlike when the propane fires off.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote