Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
JamieJ

Outback black tank replacements

Hey All,

I have searched far and wide on the web for a replacement black tank to no avail. The outlet pipe flange is broken where it connects at the tank.
Has anyone found a direct replacement for a 60x28x7 center side drain? I could up the length to 65” and maybe shorten the width a couple inches, but ideally would like the same dimensions.
2004 Keystone 28BHS

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
JamieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
curtiscapk

try here..
https://www.recpro.com/rv-black-wate...eatured&page=2
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
JamieJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
Thanks for the link, had searched it already without finding exact replacement.
I guess since I’m going to have to reconfigure the drains etc a bigger tank is the move.
Should be able to squeeze a 60gallon in there….
Old 08-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Here is a source:
https://www.icondirect.com/waste-holding-tanks/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a center/side drain 60x30x6 https://www.icondirect.com/jayco-hol...-h3550-30-gal/

If you do decide to "upsize" your black tank, I'd be very cautious about doubling the tank size. While it may sound like a nice feature to have twice the capacity, it makes it much more difficult to "have a full tank to empty when leaving the campground. So depending on your camping style, a larger black tank may not be as convenient as you might think....

Not so for gray tanks. The more you can hold, the longer you can stay and t he more convenient it becomes.... Black tanks, not so much.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a center/side drain 60x30x6 https://www.icondirect.com/jayco-hol...-h3550-30-gal/

If you do decide to "upsize" your black tank, I'd be very cautious about doubling the tank size. While it may sound like a nice feature to have twice the capacity, it makes it much more difficult to "have a full tank to empty when leaving the campground. So depending on your camping style, a larger black tank may not be as convenient as you might think....

Not so for gray tanks. The more you can hold, the longer you can stay and t he more convenient it becomes.... Black tanks, not so much.....
Why would it be "much more difficult" to empty a larger black tank vs smaller?
Old 08-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Because you don't get the "rush of liquid to move solids" with smaller amounts of liquid in larger tanks. Emptying the "solids" is the "evil part" of keeping a black tank functional.

But the statement that you "quoted out of context" was: " it makes it much more difficult to "have a full tank to empty when leaving the campground."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
ssthrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Because you don't get the "rush of liquid to move solids" with smaller amounts of liquid in larger tanks. Emptying the "solids" is the "evil part" of keeping a black tank functional.

But the statement that you "quoted out of context" was: " it makes it much more difficult to "have a full tank to empty when leaving the campground."
Just because the tank is larger doesn't mean that the ratio of solids to liquids changes. Makes no sense to me.

My only question would be whether or not the frame could support the additional weight contained in the larger tank.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
George I don't know that more difficult is the correct term but I can testify that going from 32 gallons to 49 gallons is different.
The two of us would just about fill the 32 gallon tank in 7 or 8 nights and when hitting the dump station there was a full hose and rapid flow from the tank. With the 49 gallon tank the flow is slower and the hose is not full. Then think about the ratio from say a three night stay versus an 8 night stay.

In my case we rarely stay in a park without full hookups and so I generally just use the flush system and wash the tank, so no problem. But when we stay in parks without sewer we have to remember to take the time to just run a lot of water into the tank before unhooked and heading to the dump station
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #10
JamieJ

Thanks for all the input guys. For the time being, and really just to get me thru to the end of the season (or longer) i made my best effort at repairing.
Since the leak was an annoying weep i figured it was possible. I took some JB weld plastic epoxy which claims to bond to abs, tests confirmed, and i built up around the area.
Once that was cured i took some liquid spray rubber and put 6 coats around the epoxy.
Leak test confirmed its holding..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43C25250-2C9C-4516-AD5E-3AB13F5DC835.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	35267  
Old 08-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
George I don't know that more difficult is the correct term but I can testify that going from 32 gallons to 49 gallons is different.
The two of us would just about fill the 32 gallon tank in 7 or 8 nights and when hitting the dump station there was a full hose and rapid flow from the tank. With the 49 gallon tank the flow is slower and the hose is not full. Then think about the ratio from say a three night stay versus an 8 night stay.

In my case we rarely stay in a park without full hookups and so I generally just use the flush system and wash the tank, so no problem. But when we stay in parks without sewer we have to remember to take the time to just run a lot of water into the tank before unhooked and heading to the dump station

Thanks for the explanation. What John said didn't make sense; not saying it isn't correct. All my RV experience is with black tanks in the 30G range and when I dump, I dump all three (black, gray & galley gray) at the same time and never intended to "take out of context". Just wanted some clarification.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. What John said didn't make sense; not saying it isn't correct. All my RV experience is with black tanks in the 30G range and when I dump, I dump all three (black, gray & galley gray) at the same time and never intended to "take out of context". Just wanted some clarification.
George,

We all know that dumping is "most efficient at emptying solids" if the tank is dumped when it's full.

If you have a 30 gallon tank and it takes 7 days to fill it, then on a 2 day weekend trip, you'll either be 1/3 to 1/2 full (and have inefficient dumping) or you'll need to fill the other 15-20 gallons so you have a "full tank to dump, so the solids will move out better"....

Now, take that same concept, but with a 60 gallon black tank. It'll take 12-14 days to fill, a 2 day weekend trip will give you about 1/7th of a full tank. Go to the dump station like that and it simply won't have enough water in it to move the solids. So, it's not going to be "easy to dump and have the tank sort of clean or sort of empty"...

Now, adding 15-20 gallons is a "tedious job" when using the flush pedal on a Dometic 310 or 320. Imagine having to add another 30 gallons on top of that to fill a 60 gallon black tank.....

That's the reason and the explanation for my statement: "While it may sound like a nice feature to have twice the capacity, it makes it much more difficult to "have a full tank to empty when leaving the campground." From a "utilization perspective" it's easier to work with a 30 or a 40 gallon black tank for the way most people use a trailer. On a 2 or 3 day weekend of dry camping, most people will find adequate black tank capacity. Double that capacity and most people will be trying to dump a half full tank (inadequate solids removal) or finding some place to fill the black tank so it will dump efficiently.... That's somewhere between "impossible" and "damned hard to do" when the only water supply is what's in your fresh water tank and the couple of 5 gallon jugs in the truck.....

Bigger is not always better......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #13
thefulminator

Take a look at Trekwood and do a search on year make and model.

https://www.trekwood.com/

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
thefulminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefulminator View Post
Take a look at Trekwood and do a search on year make and model.

https://www.trekwood.com/
Just be aware that anything ordered from Trekwood will have a shipping cost at or near the the national debt, especially on a large bulky item like a replacement tank.
Their shipping cost are absolutely ourageously high!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, outback, tank