Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

RV Roof Painting?

I was kind of stunned when I saw this video. Guy didn't use Dicor to reseal penetrations but used tape over all the old sealant and then painted the whole thing. 1st coat looked terrible to my untrained eye but he seemed pleased and promised another coat in the spring. Interesting what you can find on youtube.

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
Badbart56

Looks similar to the way silicone lifetime roofs are applied but they removed all the old sealer from mine and filled it with silicone. No tape was used. Then after that dried they primed it and put two coats on.

The product they applied to mine has a 50 year warranty. It should outlast my RV I'm thinking.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Mmeyer

I roof for a living we use a simmer product called geco it’s made buy Firestone roofing products , They make a heavy fibered coating called geco patch to use for any detail areas then you coat over the hole thing twice using geco 2021 (white) or geco 2022 (gray)
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
rhagfo

I am a bit surprised the roof was't washed before the new sealant went down. I can't believe that the new coating would stick to a chalky surface.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
Mmeyer

Yes the roof should be washed first.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmeyer View Post
Yes the roof should be washed first.
Well the internet “Expert” just swept and blew off the exiting roof! If you listen and look up to about the 3 minute mark. He is working on a dirty roof surface, likely why it looks a little rough later!
I can’t imagine that coating would last a year! A great result requires great preparation!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
skids

Hey, is badge says “Honest Lee.” How can you not trust him!
Old 03-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Hey, is badge says “Honest Lee.” How can you not trust him!
"Honestly" ? You're going to believe that. Come on man!
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Looks similar to the way silicone lifetime roofs are applied but they removed all the old sealer from mine and filled it with silicone. No tape was used. Then after that dried they primed it and put two coats on.

The product they applied to mine has a 50 year warranty. It should outlast my RV I'm thinking.

Can you tell me more about your lifetime roof?

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:38 AM   #10
Laredo Tugger

My trailer roof has had a couple summers of exposure. I have noticed a few cracked areas that I can address with Dicor as a maintenance/temporary fix. I was looking at doing the "EnternaBond" tape (video posted on another thread) around all the openings and edges this summer but may wait since I just spent almost $60K on a cover for the RV. Well, actually it is a owned parcel in a RV specific development that has the cover (covers the full trailer), a deck (that needs to be modified for the living room slide) and a storage shed. Also full hook ups (50 amp, water sewer) are on site and it is less than 15 minutes from beautiful gulf coast beaches.
A pricey cover or a good long term investment with immediate returns? (about 2 hours from home)
To the OPs point, the paint/sealer is an option as well as the mentioned EternaBond tape process mentioned.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:19 AM   #11
Ted14

Roof painting

Hello everyone
I am in a dilemma when it comes to choosing the right paint for my roof. Could you kindly share the type of paint you have used? While I came across a specific roof-paint during my Google search, I remain unconvinced. Since I have no prior experience painting roofs, I genuinely appreciate any guidance or assistance you can offer.
Ted14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:59 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I think a second coat on the roof would go a long way!
Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted14 View Post
Hello everyone
I am in a dilemma when it comes to choosing the right paint for my roof. Could you kindly share the type of paint you have used? While I came across a specific roof-paint during my Google search, I remain unconvinced. Since I have no prior experience painting roofs, I genuinely appreciate any guidance or assistance you can offer.
RV's have been manufactured/built with multiple types of roof material. Back decades ago, they had zinc coated tin roofs, then upgraded RV's went to aluminum sheet roofs. Along came the EPDM "rubber roof" which was replaced by the TPO "plastic roof" on many towable RV's around 2011 or so.

You didn't include any information about your RV (brand, model, year or roof type) so it's impossible to recommend a specific product for "your RV's roof"... Depending on the type roof you have, some products, designed for a different roof material can actually damage or even destroy what's on your RV.

So, more information on what RV, what model, what year and what type roof you have is vital to answer any questions about "product"...

That said, the process for EPDM and TPO roofing material is pretty much the same when it comes to cleaning and resealing the roof. There are literally thousands of U-Tube videos on how to clean/seal an RV roof and there's probably a hundred or more threads on this and every other RV forum about the same topic.

But first, information about YOUR RV is vital to getting any appropriate information on how to maintain it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:57 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quite honestly if the roof is less than 20 years old & the seams & all the protrusions have been reasonably maintained with the appropriate caulkings over the years & not leaking I don't know why you would need to "paint" the entire roof.
The white coating does wear off the material leaving it freckled, but doesn't affect the function of the roof material, it's mostly just cosmetic.
Not to mention if you "paint" with something that's non-compatiable with the existing material you could do more harm than good.
If you want to spend the $$ there are options that are once & done, never a roof worry again by you or any owner after you, RV Armor or Flex Armor.
One of them come to you for the 2-3 day process, the other you take your rv to one of their authorized installers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, roof