Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
chunker

Waste cable lube

On the Raptor when I got it the grey waste tank valve wasn't working, defective valve and cable routing. The dealer fixed that but the black tank cable is susceptible to corrosion. First the black tank pull knob and cable is directly below the fresh and black water flush connections so water drip/splashes on the valve. The solid initial portion of the pull cable has corrosion and I've tried a couple lubes with little success, spray white lithium grease, silicone, teflon. For one thing I don't se an ability to get proper lubricant into the flex part of the shaft to lube it.

What is recommended lubrication product and method to get a smoothly operating cable? Grey is good, black sticks.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
ChuckS

with the handle pulled out on the one thats hard to move spray PB Blaster and work the cable in and out several times and spray more pb... This will free up the cable and m ake it smoother.. PB Blaster has a good anti corrosion preventative in it to prevent future issues

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
with the handle pulled out on the one thats hard to move spray PB Blaster and work the cable in and out several times and spray more pb... This will free up the cable and m ake it smoother.. PB Blaster has a good anti corrosion preventative in it to prevent future issues
Thanks next dump it gets lubed. I'll be flushing on that dump so it'll get moved a lot.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Thanks next dump it gets lubed. I'll be flushing on that dump so it'll get moved a lot.
David,
If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you install a "last chance" 3" T-handle valve on your waste outlet lines just before the cap. This will reduce the wear & tear on your cable operated tank valves during the flushing process. It will also protect you from a real mess the next time you forget to close the tank valve, install the cap, then use the system. (Guess how I know) Lastly, it will allow you balance the two gray water tanks if DW does a lot of dishes.

You can either purchase the Valtera valves with the twist lock connectors and install/remove these valves at each use, or I chose to cut the waste line and glue in the connectors to install a standard (replaceable) valve. I set the valve so the handle comes out in the horizontal position (doesn't hang down).

Just a suggestion.
Brad

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39511-H...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
FindUsCamping

We had our black tank valve replaced. When we were in the process of replacing it we noticed that there was so many bends in it not allowing to operate easily. Once we rerouted the cable it opens with 2 fingers. Much happier now.
FindUsCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
David,
If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you install a "last chance" 3" T-handle valve on your waste outlet lines just before the cap. This will reduce the wear & tear on your cable operated tank valves during the flushing process. It will also protect you from a real mess the next time you forget to close the tank valve, install the cap, then use the system. (Guess how I know) Lastly, it will allow you balance the two gray water tanks if DW does a lot of dishes.

You can either purchase the Valtera valves with the twist lock connectors and install/remove these valves at each use, or I chose to cut the waste line and glue in the connectors to install a standard (replaceable) valve. I set the valve so the handle comes out in the horizontal position (doesn't hang down).

Just a suggestion.
Brad

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39511-H...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brad I've been considering that addition. I'm on an extended shakedown, covid frustrated cruise. This is just me, the trailer and bike on an upper midwest and near west trip. I'm making a list of changes, additions and alterations to do when I make it back home. Unfortunately raining today in south central Kentucky but looks better the rest of the week. Cooler weather in Minnesota and yes I'll stay clear of all the crazies. Do they have an iPhone app out yet that lists all the riots???

David
Old 08-31-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Does the cable run in sheathing? Like your clutch cable on your HD? If so, stop at a motorcycle shop and get a cable oiling tool. It clamps around a cable with sheathing and has rubber jaws to seal things and a small hole where you put the straw from a can of cable lube.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Does the cable run in sheathing? Like your clutch cable on your HD? If so, stop at a motorcycle shop and get a cable oiling tool. It clamps around a cable with sheathing and has rubber jaws to seal things and a small hole where you put the straw from a can of cable lube.
I may need to get one if those. Where can I find one?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
ChuckS

You can also take a piece of plastic that’s flexible and cut into a circle about 6 inches in diameter. Put a 1/8 inch hole or thereabouts in center ... make one cut from edge to hole in center...

Remove handle and unscrew nut that holds cable mount and place plastic with hole centered over the pull cable and wrap end at cable with rubber band etc to make a tighter connection around cable guide

This will from a bit of a funnel and help direct lubricant down into the sheath that cable slides inside of..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 08-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Motion Pro 08-0182 Cable Luber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TYX9W..._-lCtFbS8K79T2
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:23 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Here are many lube tools and most work exactly the same. Suggesst buying from a US seller as Chinese shipping right now is very very slow:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+tool&_sacat=0

I used a can of this cable lubricant for years (literally). Not sure it was better or worse than others but it worked fine.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Cable-...cAAOSw94NclgTb
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:25 AM   #12
ChuckS

Motion Pro is an excellent product. Been using on my two motorcycles for over 15 years

Tags
cable