Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Milocka

Near Disaster

Front driver side spring broke in 2 spots (where the 2nd leaf ends), could have been a disaster if the other leaf on the passenger side would have let loose too, thank goodness it held on. Going 65mph on I-70 just outside of Eagle, CO noticed 5th wheel wasn’t tracking laser straight like it normally does. Pulled off to find this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7563.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	23972Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7557.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	23971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7555.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	23970Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7558.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	23969

Can’t believe how lucky my family and I are, can’t imagine what would have happened if that front axle totally separated.

Springs are rated at 3,000# each, 5200# axles, Mod-Ryde equalizers. Trailer weighs 10,500 loaded. All the math adds up to within specs. Stumped, must chalk it up to bad Chinese steel?

Anyone ever see anything like this?
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #2
German Shepherd Guy

Thankfully you all are safe. How did you get home?

Looks like a cold short in the steel. Snapped off where the second lead ends?

Glad you avoided disaster.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Milocka

Mobile Mechanic replaced the spring and we were on our way. Lucky again to find a mobile mechanic in a mountain town of Colorado. Need to buy some lottery tickets [emoji16]
Old 10-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #4
busterbrown

Happy to see your trailer made it without any war wounds. I had a similar spring failure last year but at much lower speeds. Left us stranded at the campground for a few days. Anyways, good to hear you were on your way after the fix. Safe travels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We were on I-70 this past May. The road from Silt all the way to Idaho Springs was in "DEPLORABLE" condition and I made the comment several times that even going the minimum speed (45MPH) was a quick ticket to disaster for the trailer suspension. When we got to Idaho Springs, I pulled off the interstate and carefully inspected the trailer suspension. I didn't find any significant problems, but I'm convinced that section of the interstate system is responsible for the hub/bearing failure I had about a month later.

It's good to know that you found someone that had parts on hand to repair your trailer and get you back on the road. I'd have suspected a week or more "waiting for parts from Denver" in that area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Milocka

The I-70 surface is terrible from about Kansas to Utah [emoji16] CDOT needs to figure out how to build expansion joints. I try to avoid it at all costs but didn’t want to spend an extra 2 hours on the “long” way home. Hind site is 20/20 I suppose.

PS - I went to Glenwood to buy the spring from Tractor supply, I took the part sourcing job into my own hands. Gonna buy a spare before next season, after I upgrade all 4 to five leaf packs instead of the stock 4 leaf.

We made the most of our 6 hour delay, posted up at the Eagle Visitors Center. Should have seen the look on people’s faces thinking we were actually camping there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7561.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	23974