Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Cabin Fever Has Set In

I read all of the posts that come through the forum and mentally keep track of what is being discussed or asked over and over again. I thought I'd summarize where we are with several of these questions and give a generalized statement of the findings. I already know that some of you will be cheering and that some of you will be leering. And that's okay! The bottom line is that what you decide is your decision. What money you spend or save, is your money. The consequences or the successes are yours as well. That is the way that all of this works! So here goes:
1. TIRES: This is a top of the line first mod in most peoples minds. On this forum, Carlisle is a top choice. They are a quality tire, readily available and Walmart is selling them at a very nice $67 dollars a tire for most sizes. Goodyear Endurance is popular and appears to be a good tire. They are on the market less than a year so the jury is still out on their longevity. They are expensive, but American made. Sailuns and Maxxis make the good list also. This covers these manufacturers complete inventory of various sizes.

Making the most troubled list are Trailer Kings, Power Kings and any other tire from Shandong province in China. All sizes, all flavors. Stay away if at all possible.

2. GENERATORS: Lot's of members buy red and blue. I do not believe that this necessarily is due to their political leanings! Honda and Yamaha are the brands that all others are compared to. They are expensive, however. The low price leader in this category is Champion. Be sure to get the inverter models for cleaner power output. Also, get a size that will meet your needs. A 2000w model will not run the microwave, the Keurig, the blow dryer and both air conditioners at the same time. Use the right tool for the job.

Avoid anything that is a construction model, regardless of the manufacturer. They are noisy and the power is not clean (i.e., your electronics will suffer). They are cheap, so the temptation is there. Your neighbors will thank you for not purchasing one of these.

3. TOW VEHICLES: Not every trailer needs a 350/3500 or a 250/2500. But many do! Not every trailer can nor should be pulled by a 150/1500. Use the right tool for the job. Look at the stickers on the door post of the truck you own or are thinking about buying, and see what they tell you is safe. DO NOT use the numbers in the advertising brochures to make a choice. Door stickers only! DO NOT trust the salesman on this! More than likely he knows less about it than you do. Remember, making some of the numbers or one of the numbers does not mean that you are good to go. You have to meet all the numbers.

Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, Nissan? Makes no difference as long as they have the ratings. They all make good trucks. Get what suits your tastes and your pocket book. After all, it is your money, not anyone else's on the forum.

If you ask for advice on the forum about a set-up that you have or are thinking about putting together, be prepared for honest opinions. Some will agree with you, some will tell you that if you so much as look at it you will kill everyone on the planet, some will not care one way or the other. But if someone's opinion differs from yours, don't get pi$$ed off. Take it as advice that you need to make a decision on. If someone gives an opinion, take it under consideration in your decision making. If someone tells you that they have the set up or did have the set up you are asking about, take it seriously! They are talking from experience, not opinion. This is very valuable!

If you already own the set up you are asking about and looking for validation of your actions, you are probably in the wrong place. There is a huge difference between the questions "can I tow this?" and "should I tow this?" Down deep in your heart, you already know the answer to the question, but you are looking for someone to have a beer with you and tell you its okay. Many will tell you that they were where you are and decided to move to a bigger truck. Its good advice to not be ignored. You may not be able to do it today for any number of reasons, but that does not mean that you shouldn't set your goals in that direction. Doing so is not admitting defeat or claiming that you are a dumb $h!t. It means that you are fully human and have the capacity to do better for yourself and your family. The final decisions are yours. If others disagree, so be it. Put your big girl/boy panties on and move on. I'm pretty sure, actually almost positive, that if you met the dissenters face to face, they'd be the first ones to buy a beer. Almost guaranteed.

That ought to be enough to chew on for a while. Spring is just around the corner. Not much longer until we are all out playing again in the sunshine. I for one, can't wait.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
......... snip
1. TIRES: This is a top of the line first mod in most peoples minds. On this forum, Carlisle is a top choice. They are a quality tire, readily available and Walmart is selling them at a very nice $67 dollars a tire for most sizes. Goodyear Endurance is popular and appears to be a good tire. They are on the market less than a year so the jury is still out on their longevity. They are expensive, but American made. Sailuns and Maxxis make the good list also. This covers these manufacturers complete inventory of various sizes.

Making the most troubled list are Trailer Kings, Power Kings and any other tire from Shandong province in China. All sizes, all flavors. Stay away if at all possible.
Chip, you forgot one group, those of us that prefer LT tires. There are some of us that feel an LT tire in the correct size and load range provide a superior quality tire than ST's
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
66joej

Good info and well written Chip.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Chip, you forgot one group, those of us that prefer LT tires. There are some of us that feel an LT tire in the correct size and load range provide a superior quality tire than ST's
Not on purpose, an oversight due to length of post. Mia culpa. But thank goodness, it is now included in the discussion. Same overall conclusions still apply though. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Chip. Looks like a pretty good synopsis to me. Also looks like you DO have some serious time on your hands.

Speaking of time to get out and go camping; my wife was supposed to go with her neighbor friend to look for sea shells day before yesterday. My wife couldn't go. Our friend came back with some awesome pics of a group of dolphins that were harassing a flock of seagulls on the beach at the edge of the waves. They would come barreling in, turn sideways and skid in the surf splashing the birds. Her description of their antics was just so cool as were the pics and made us sure sad my wife couldn't go. Anyway, I know being cooped up wears on you, but those dolphins are out there playing somewhere and someone has to go find them.......right? It's a lot of work but we'll carry on until you can get out and go have fun.......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Hodgy

Chip thank you for that well written summary of the goings on around the forum. That is a roadmap for all of us to use when asking questions or reading posts.

Glad you had time in the cabin to sit at the keyboard and give me some good reading with my morning coffee.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Owl

As a new owner and member this pretty much sums up the majority of what I’ve seen.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Tbos

Great summary of our forum.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
cardinal96ss

Thanks Chip.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
ADQ K9

Good info, thanks Chip
KC and Cabin Fever? Never associated the two.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote