Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #61
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
John is 100% correct on that. Keeping a "load" on the converter output can give false voltage readings, especially if there is an issue with the battery. That is the same theory that is used when load rating a battery. Ppt a known amount of load on it and document how far the supply voltage drops.

I am not understanding this. I am not as smart as most of you lol. I did register 13v out on the converter while plugged into shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baguak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #62
shov

With batteries disconnected? I think it still should read a bit higher

shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #63
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shov View Post

Sorry, I did NOT disconnect my batteries while reading. Not sure if it matters but without shore power the power light on the converter doesn’t even turn on.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #64
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguak View Post
I am not understanding this. I am not as smart as most of you lol. I did register 13v out on the converter while plugged into shore.

Part of what you are seeing, as far as the voltage from the converter without the batteries hooked up, may vary depending on the quality of your converter. If it is a cheap model tester or maybe has had a bit of abuse, it might only read 13 volts instead of say, 13.63....or something similar. I have a Fluke brand multimeter that costs over $300 and is extremely accurate. I'm not criticizing your meter, i don't even know what kind you have, I'm just trying to explain why it may be showing 13 volts and mine might show 13.63 volts. Bottom line is that it appears that your converter is putting out some voltage. You DID disconnect the lead from the battery.....RIGHT?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #65
xrated

Quote:
Sorry, I did NOT disconnect my batteries while reading. Not sure if it matters but without shore power the power light on the converter doesn’t even turn on.

IT MATTERS! Disconnect them and then take a voltage reading on the converter output wires.....and stay on shore power to make sure your converter is energized. Just make sure that the leads from the converter are NOT touching each other or anything else. They should just be hanging in the free air......and let us know the voltage that you get....exact voltage.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shov View Post

You're correct. With the batteries disconnected the converter should read 13.6VDC. 13 volts is too low and would indicate a bad converter. That's why it is IMPERATIVE to disconnect all batteries from the converter system before troubleshooting......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You MUST disconnect all batteries from the system or you will get erroneous voltage readings..... and for the part I changed to red, the green light is the "power on" light and will only illuminate when your shore power is plugged in and the converter is "powered on". so that green light is supposed to be off when you unplug your shore power cord.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #68
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You MUST disconnect all batteries from the system or you will get erroneous voltage readings..... and for the part I changed to red, the green light is the "power on" light and will only illuminate when your shore power is plugged in and the converter is "powered on". so that green light is supposed to be off when you unplug your shore power cord.

Ok will disconnect and try again

Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #69
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Part of what you are seeing, as far as the voltage from the converter without the batteries hooked up, may vary depending on the quality of your converter. If it is a cheap model tester or maybe has had a bit of abuse, it might only read 13 volts instead of say, 13.63....or something similar. I have a Fluke brand multimeter that costs over $300 and is extremely accurate. I'm not criticizing your meter, i don't even know what kind you have, I'm just trying to explain why it may be showing 13 volts and mine might show 13.63 volts. Bottom line is that it appears that your converter is putting out some voltage. You DID disconnect the lead from the battery.....RIGHT?

No worries, I also am using a fluke. I didn’t disconnect the battery and will do so when I get home.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #70
Baguak

Quote:
No worries, I also am using a fluke. I didn’t disconnect the battery and will do so when I get home.

BTW that is a readout from my battery with shore plugged in.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #71
Baguak

Well after many days I have learned so much! Everything everyone here has gone through to help me out is so much appreciated.
I believe the issue lies in either the converter or in the control panel. I am going to have a mobile tech (someone much smarter than I) come diagnose it. I will update this thread one last time when I have the resolution. Again, all of your help has been so much appreciated!

Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #72
B-O-B'03

If you find the converter needs replacement, I bought my new one from best converter.

It was just the internal board, fit perfectly into my existing load center and is a 4 stage unit. (Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power 4655 MBA (Main board assembly)).

-Brian
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #73
Baguak

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
If you find the converter needs replacement, I bought my new one from best converter.

It was just the internal board, fit perfectly into my existing load center and is a 4 stage unit. (Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power 4655 MBA (Main board assembly)).

-Brian

Thanks! I’m at the point where I don’t care and just want it working. I feel like I gave it the old Boy Scout try!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #74
Baguak

I want to take a minute again for everyone’s help. This may come in handy for future issues folks might have.

Everything measured correctly as far as voltage goes. Everything...

So one person told me that even though a thermal breaker registers continuity it may still be bad and I could bypass it just to make sure. When I went to hook an alligator clip to it the post fell out....

Once bypassed, everything worked correctly. Ordering a new one now.

Tags
power