Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
12 er

Propane ????!

I have a question about the propane tanks and the general wisdom when turning on the tanks. Do you turn on both tanks or turn on one tank. I have been only turning on one tank at a time and when it's out I turn on the other tank. Our new trailer has a auto switch over so wouldn't you need to have both tanks on ?
12 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
BulletOwner1

You'll get opinions both ways.

I use the switchover valve. You need to understand that you still have to check it or it's useless and you will end up at 2 in the morning with a chilly RV and and if that happens you're going to have to wait till morning to get more propane .

Some folks don't use it and only leave one tank on at a time. So when the RV runs out at 2 in the morning they can just get up, go out, and turn on the other tank .

But if you do use it, and check it, no muss no fuss and no 2 in the morning issues .
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have an auto-changeover regulator, turn on both tanks. The arrow on the selector valve will point to the tank in use. As long as the indicator is green, it will be drawing from that tank. Once the indicator shows red, it means that the regulator has "auto-changed" to the other tank and the tank the arrow is pointing to is empty. Change the selector valve to point to the full tank, the indicator will turn green. Then disconnect the empty tank, go refill it and reinstall. Turn on the 'newly filled" tank and once the other is empty, the cycle will start again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
Scttw

^^^ What John said ....

But in addition..... You always turn on the tank you are drawing from FIRST and then turn on the 2nd (Full tank). When you shut it off, shut off the FULL tank first and finish by shutting off the tank in use. This will ensure you are always drawing from the tank in use.

I find it silly not to use this system if you have it available - it's so simple and you'll never run out in the middle of the night.

Scott
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
ljp

Even though we have the auto-changeover we prefer to use one tank at a time, leaves no doubt for us when one is empty and needs to be refilled. I prefer not to wake up late at night, cold, only to discover both tanks are empty because we forgot to periodically check the propane level of the tank in use.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

First time I had to go out in snowing weather to switch tanks cured me of "one tank at a time". I check cylinder levels prior to trip and fill as needed. I also carry a full spare.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
bobbecky

We fulltime, and have never had a problem with the auto system. When it's cold, I might check the indicator daily, sometimes every two days, but usually when draining the gray tank. Never have had to get up in the middle of the night to turn a tank on.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote