Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
justlkn

Heading to River Plantation in Pigeon Forge next week

Thinking of going to Pigeon Forge next week for a week. Thought I might stay at River Plantation RV Park. Any thoughts or experience of the park that anyone could share? This will be my second cruise. The first one was only an hour away from our home base but this one will be 10-11 hours one way. I am a little leary on pulling into fuel stations with such a large 5vr. Guess I will be stopping at truck stops to keep it safe. We will be staying 5 days and seeing all the sights. Can't wait! Hope to get away from the daily grind! See you guys on the road.

Glenn and Tami

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Outbackmel

RV Fuel Stops

I haul a 36 ft 5er with a quad cab Dodge. Never had any issue getting in and out of fuel stops. Just use your technology to find fuel stops and if not noted RV island on the web, they usually have them indicated on billboards along the highway 5 to 15 miles before the exit. Time your fuel stops for convenience. Often I would drive on to the next major fuel exit for an RV island.

HOWEVER, I have never had any issue with truck lanes either. They simply smell horrible and you track all that oil and grease into your truck. People inside the truck lanes are "generally" polite. Pro truckers look at you as a novelty. After all this driving is WORK for these people

Tips: pack a pair or two of rubber based gloves and hand sanitzer. Keep them handy in the cab so you can use them fueling. Otherwise your steering wheel leather will take in all that oil you will get from the pump handles. Those long handle windshield washing sticks lying in those pails are a hot bed of germs. Might want those gloves and hand sanitizer for them as well.
You might consider going to Walmart and buying 1 or 2 really cheap rubber mats if you have carpet mats. I have aftermarket colorful rubber mats that I use and have my carpet mats stored....just say'n....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Thinking of going to Pigeon Forge next week for a week. Thought I might stay at River Plantation RV Park. Any thoughts or experience of the park that anyone could share? This will be my second cruise. The first one was only an hour away from our home base but this one will be 10-11 hours one way. I am a little leary on pulling into fuel stations with such a large 5vr. Guess I will be stopping at truck stops to keep it safe. We will be staying 5 days and seeing all the sights. Can't wait! Hope to get away from the daily grind! See you guys on the road.

Glenn and Tami
we have camped that way several times. I use the interstate gas stations they seem to be able to fit our rigs in and around the pumps. so you should be OK getting fuel.
River Plantaion is a nice campground. We stayed there 2 summers ago. They have improved the office and the sites are pull thurs and backends. the backends you are not on top of neighbor so thats a good thing. we have not stayed on the pull thurs, but they are close to each other but I believe you will enjoy your stay.
The Christmas lights in Gatlinburg will be up as well as Pigeon Forge.
Enjoy your stay and stay warm
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
justlkn

Thank everyone for the great advice! I am so excited I feel like a kid again, if only in my mind as my body reminds me daily I am not. I am very ready for my short vacation.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
TimothyJ

Regarding fueling, we used the truck stops whenever possible and took advantage of the truck islands instead of the "RV" islands, if offered. The latter put us in the path of the auto traffic, either entering or leaving, and were tight for us. If we were in line to hang up a pro, I'd pass, but that was only once in ABQ Flying J which was 3 deep at the truck islands, so I went further on west and paid a bit more (and damn near ran out). When I got home I had an extra 50 GL put in the bed within 2 weeks.
Have a GREAT trip! - tj
2012 Cougar 325SRX
TimothyJ is offline   Reply With Quote