Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
MooseMan

SodFather,

I agree on all counts. Though we do think the cause of the hitch bending was too sharp of a right hand turn - however in general - for the western winds and high highway speeds, the Expedition is the bigger problem.

Will be going out a few more times this year and for next season - Diesel Excursion
Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do decide to go with an Excursion, check the payload carefully. Some Excursions have a payload smaller than a half ton truck. The Excursion is a 3/4 ton chassis, but sprung light for "station wagon ride" and when you add the weight of the "luxury options" and then add the diesel engine, the payload drops significantly. It's possible to overload the rear axle on some models with a larger travel trailer. There are lots of options, just don't go blindly into an Excursion thinking it's the same as a 3/4 ton pickup,,, the payloads are dramatically less on some of the Excursion models

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
randy69

sway problems

This story sounds like my old problem I had with my 21' feetwood prowler and chevy suburban. I had weight distrubution, 2 sway bars, And Changed the factory tires, from 35 psi type to new tires 80 psi type. Problem solved.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
MooseMan

Excuse my absolute ignorance here but how does that much inflation alter your towing? I'm around stock inflation numbers but I do have a better quality tire on there and I think I could pump it up some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
This story sounds like my old problem I had with my 21' feetwood prowler and chevy suburban. I had weight distrubution, 2 sway bars, And Changed the factory tires, from 35 psi type to new tires 80 psi type. Problem solved.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
MooseMan

Great advice, thank you. And I sure as heck hope I don't need it with a 5000# trailer - Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you do decide to go with an Excursion, check the payload carefully. Some Excursions have a payload smaller than a half ton truck. The Excursion is a 3/4 ton chassis, but sprung light for "station wagon ride" and when you add the weight of the "luxury options" and then add the diesel engine, the payload drops significantly. It's possible to overload the rear axle on some models with a larger travel trailer. There are lots of options, just don't go blindly into an Excursion thinking it's the same as a 3/4 ton pickup,,, the payloads are dramatically less on some of the Excursion models
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan View Post
Excuse my absolute ignorance here but how does that much inflation alter your towing? I'm around stock inflation numbers but I do have a better quality tire on there and I think I could pump it up some.
I think what he is saying (in a round about way) is that he switched from "car tires" (4 ply) to "truck tires" (10 Ply) and it helped his problem with sway... If you decide to investigate that route, make sure your wheels are rated for the increased PSI you'll need to use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #27
The Sod Father

Re: Excursion - food for thought, Leemedic had an Excursion when his trailer swayed and landed on its side. A bigger hammer isn't always the answer.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #28
MooseMan

It's not the driving reason, but I hope stability is a benefit. We would stay with an Expedition if it had enough power - but the simple fact is that in CO we are dealing with big hills, higher highway speeds, high winds and less air to power the engine. Plus there's 2 kids and 2 60# dogs - so there are not a lot of vehicles that tick the boxes on this one, though if I could fit them all in an F-150 EcoBoost that's where I'd be focusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
Re: Excursion - food for thought, Leemedic had an Excursion when his trailer swayed and landed on its side. A bigger hammer isn't always the answer.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
MooseMan

Oh just as an FYI my sway tendencies got significantly better after starting over with the hitching process (weighing, measuring, etc) and I've got over 1000 miles on the new setup. So until last weekend things were much better
Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #30
The Sod Father

An Excursion would be a great tow vehicle for you but the point I was driving at was not so much the tow vehicle as much as your hitch. Take a look at either the Hensley or Pro Pride. You want to eliminate the sway, not dampen it.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
randy69

MooseMan

On tires issues replaced factory car tires with 80 psi truck tires. Because I was getting sidewall blister (bubbles) after 6000. Miles. Apprently there was not enough support in the center of the tire, which help make the rv sway in high wind gushes.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote