Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Fireman640

Water heater

I have a 2010 Sprinter fls318 the water heater when first starting i turn on the propain then flip the switch inside i hear the unit clicking trying to light like 3 times but it does not light assuming gas not getting there so i flip switch off then on and then it lights is this normal?
2nd question is there 2 adjustments on the temps of heater if i only use the elctric heating on it it does not get very warm like the lp thanks
Fireman640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I believe what is happening is that the gas system is being "locked out". If the burner doesn't light on the first try, the system automatically tries twice more. If the lockout takes place before the main burner lights, you will need to turn the switch to OFF, wait a few seconds, then turn it to ON. This will restart the ignition cycle.
You shouldn't have to do this each time, however. There may be some air trapped in the line which may be causing this to occur.
As far as I know, the water temperature cannot be controlled on either source -- it is preset at the factory.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
hankaye

Fireman640, Howdy;

The first question may likely be answered by saying, the system neede to purge the air from the lines.
That may be why it lights on the second go-'round. Try lighting the stove (all the burners), and leave them
lit for a short time. Then light the HW heater.

As far as the elect. side of the tank. I have zero thoughts. I don't use that side myself.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
fla-gypsy

I agree that the most likely cause of the non lighting is air trapped in the lines that must be purged. My WH is non adjustable for temp and always gets hotter on LP but is sufficient on electric also. When we shower I turn on both sources for faster recovery and then switch one off.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Have to agree with all the replies. light the stove purges the air from the lines and the hot water always lights for us. and there is no adjustment on mine. i too flip both when showering i like it hot!!!!.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Depending on the location of the WH in relation to the other propane appliances, even lighting the stove won't completely purge the air out of the lines. My Sunline had the WH all the way in the rear of the trailer but the galley (both stove and fridge) were midships. Getting the stove lit up sure helped, but it still took several of the "click-click" cycles to get the last 8-10 feet of the gas line purged of the remaining air.

This should only be an issue after swapping out one or both of the propane bottles. If one bottle runs out and you flip the switch, there should not be much air in the lines. It will still be propane, just no pressure. When you swap the bottles, you allow air into the system.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Fireman640

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Depending on the location of the WH in relation to the other propane appliances, even lighting the stove won't completely purge the air out of the lines. My Sunline had the WH all the way in the rear of the trailer but the galley (both stove and fridge) were midships. Getting the stove lit up sure helped, but it still took several of the "click-click" cycles to get the last 8-10 feet of the gas line purged of the remaining air.

This should only be an issue after swapping out one or both of the propane bottles. If one bottle runs out and you flip the switch, there should not be much air in the lines. It will still be propane, just no pressure. When you swap the bottles, you allow air into the system.
yes mine is in the back too i turn the propain off when we are done for the week and only have had this problem when i first turn the propain on once it lights it stays /lit and relights on its own so i wonder if the gas is going out of the line when i turn the tank off ? i dont smell it if leaking must be very small if it is thanks for the help
Fireman640 is offline   Reply With Quote