Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
parkgirl

not allowed at PDI?

Hi everyone,
We just bought a new Keystone RV and I have been looking at the PDI checklist on this forum. Our trailer will be delivered to our dealer's lot at the end of this month (hopefully) and I'm a little confused as far as the formal PDI. Our dealer says that the PDI is something that their technical people do and that we are not present for that. He said that when we come to sign the papers and make final payments, we can spend as much time as we like going through the trailer on our own (although I'm not sure if it will be hooked up to power, etc.). Is this what people are usually talking about as far as PDI, or do people usually go to the dealer's technical PDI?
Thanks,
parkgirl
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
JoeofNSB

I would be very insistant on PDI that you attend and have technical staff from the dealership there. Even the used unit that I bought from a dealer was delivered that way and several things that I found needing attention were brought up. Some in the case of my used unit were my responsibility and some I insisted that they fix. In most cases they were very nice about it and took care of it. It the case of a new unit like yours, that is the time to make many notes and make sure you understand everything while you have a technical person there.

Good Luck and happy trails to you!!

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Jseverence

When I picked my new unit last summer the dealer tech and I went thru the PDI prior to signing the final papers. They where more than happy to do so, it proved that they were not hiding anything. My wife and I found a few minor things on the check out, they were noted by the tech and taken care of at our convince. Otherwise it would be your word against there, should you find some issue later.
Reese R16 5th wheel hitch, with with slider.
Jseverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

After receiving your RV from Keystone, the dealership will want to do their own prep and inspection and there is no need for you to be present at that time. However, when the dealership has completed their prep and it is ready for you to pick it up, that is time when you can and should carry out your own thorough PDI.
Personally, I would not sign any papers or write them a cheque for the full amount until I had done my own PDI and everything that needed to be fixed, adjusted, repaired or replaced was done to my satisfaction. After you are completely satisfied, then you can sign the papers and pay the balance owing.
I would make that very clear right from the get-go and that I would be taking as much time as I feel necessary during my own PDI.
Remember, you are talking about a fair amount of money - your money - so I would be looking after it very carefully. It is a large investment of your hard-earned cash so you should not be too anxious to part with it! If the dealership is interested in your continuing business, is honest and trustworthy and providing you with good customer service, it should have no problem with these conditions you have set.
There is, BTW, a very thorough PDI checklist that you can download from this forum. Look for the sticky in the Keystone Questions section. My suggestion would be to become familiar with the PDI and then take it with you when you do your own PDI.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

HI Parkgirl Festus2 is correct! pdi (pre deliverey inspection is done by the dealers shop and they should correct any issues. before you show up. as JG Wentorth ad says "it's your money" don't be quick to sign it away. If they want you to sign first. i would be hesitant. if there are issues you own it.i would hope the dealer would have it powered up and take on a thorough walk through. in airplane sales it is called a pre buy inspection. you want it all to work before you sign over the cash! hold your ground there is nothing wrong with want your asking! but i truly hope it all goes well best of luck and enjoy it
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
HI Parkgirl Festus2 is correct! pdi (pre deliverey inspection is done by the dealers shop and they should correct any issues. before you show up. as JG Wentorth ad says "it's your money" don't be quick to sign it away. If they want you to sign first. i would be hesitant. if there are issues you own it.i would hope the dealer would have it powered up and take on a thorough walk through. in airplane sales it is called a pre buy inspection. you want it all to work before you sign over the cash! hold your ground there is nothing wrong with want your asking! but i truly hope it all goes well best of luck and enjoy it
^^^ I agree 100% ^^^^
Dealer didn't see our money until after we completed our own PDI!
Our was used even got a better price.

The dealers shop should do their own PDI, prior to you coming to pick it up and make sure that all is working 100% from the factory. I would think on a new unit, if the dealers shop does their job correctly, everything should work perfectly.
The dealer should have a shop tech do the final PDI with you to clearly show you where all the controls are.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
parkgirl

Thanks

Thank you everyone. This is exactly what I needed to know. I was just nervous when I spoke to the salesman and said we wanted to be at the PDI and he said no, that the technicians did it alone. I wondered if there was a difference between a dealer PDI and a buyer PDI and you have clarified that and it makes me feel a lot better.

I've copied out the PDI checklist from the forum here and will use that as a guide for our personal inspection.
Thanks again!
parkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
tekman741

used the PDI checklist from this forum on my new to me 2009 springdale 296bh. it was awesome the dealer did it's pre inspection by a "technician" 20 yr old kid with maybe a high school diploma. We found a dent that needed inspection and sealing, tire under inflated, tv dvd surround sound did not work. made the put water in all the tanks to check for leaks used the water pump and turned all faucets and lights on. It's your money take your time and use everything before leaving the lot.
tekman741 is offline   Reply With Quote