Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2022, 06:37 AM   #1
drew999999

Outside Stereo

For years, I've dreaded having to go inside to turn on the radio for the outside speakers. The channel selector on our soundbar isn't the easiest to figure out and once it was playing where we wanted, it was back to the 'Can you hear it?' and 'Is it too loud?' game trying to get the volume at a good level. While poking around behind a blank panel at the outdoor entertainment area, I found the 12v lead for our sound bar and outside speaker wires sitting right there. Decided it was time to order a cheap marine stereo and fix the problem. I also added the USB charger because you just can't have enough places to charge your phone.

I also added in waterproof push button switches and inline fuses to cut power to the USB outlet and the other switch manages power to the switched lead on the stereo. Super easy project and can't understand why it's not a standard on our rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3791.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	39770  
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:59 AM   #2
peanut

I can't understand why they put outside speakers on RV's in the first place. Just what I want - - to listen to my neighbor's music, not. Bluetooth ear buds are cheap.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:46 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I can't understand why they put outside speakers on RV's in the first place. Just what I want - - to listen to my neighbor's music, not. Bluetooth ear buds are cheap.
Or outside TVs?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #4
drew999999

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Or outside TVs?
Gotta be honest that I was somewhat excited that my current rig had an outside TV, but we haven't used it once in the 3 years that we've had it. We do like playing music, but always low volume. If it can be heard outside of my site, it's too loud.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Or outside TVs?
I don't mind the blasting outside speakers or TV when parked next to another camper in a close by slip but they have to have 75 miles of Christmas lights blinking on and off to make the effect complete.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I don't mind the blasting outside speakers or TV when parked next to another camper in a close by slip but they have to have 75 miles of Christmas lights blinking on and off to make the effect complete.

Had a fellow come in and park next to us this last trip. When it came dark time his place lit up like Las Vegas. It was literally startling. We were both out the next day and I asked him why he did that and if he didn't think it was a bit "bright" (extreme). He said he thought it deterred any miscreants. I told him I figured it would draw them....to tear down all those lights. He was only there 2 nights thankfully.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Had a fellow come in and park next to us this last trip. When it came dark time his place lit up like Las Vegas. It was literally startling. We were both out the next day and I asked him why he did that and if he didn't think it was a bit "bright" (extreme). He said he thought it deterred any miscreants. I told him I figured it would draw them....to tear down all those lights. He was only there 2 nights thankfully.
\
Hmmm.... Danny, when he saw you, perhaps the term "miscreant" crept into the fella's brain? Seriously, I have been at parks where there have been RVs with strings of lights all over PLUS those large side lights that blind you were left on all night. One thoughtful camper had a doggie fence for his yapper up and the dog could get out of his camper at night and seemed to enjoy basking in all those lights and singing a tune for the campground. The lights pierced our crappy metal venetian blinds and the dog was truly annoying.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #8
dutchmensport

Drew9...
That looks like a good modification you did there. As long as it works for you, that's all that matters. Nice job!

Tags
stereo