Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #41
Camp CA

Congratulations on your new fifth wheel trailer!!

Nice trailer with 11,695 lb dry dry weight and 39'4" overall. You will love the space and features.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Congratulations on your new fifth wheel trailer!!

Nice trailer with 11,695 lb dry dry weight and 39'4" overall. You will love the space and features.
This information may, or may not, pertain to you, but FYI to any other possible newbies that may be reading this!
That dry weight means absolutely nothing once that rv left the factory. Batteries & propane were added by the dealer along with any dealer installed options rendering that dry weight meaningless to the buyer.
As for tow vehicle compatibility that dry weight is useless, use the GVWR of the chosen rv to calculate.
The tow rating for any truck is also useless when doing these calculations, use the payload posted on each individual truck. That max tow number was arrived by the manufacturers towing low profile utility trailers with the loads directly over the axles considerably lowering the tongue/pin weights on the tow vehicle, NOT towing rvs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #43
tomd

Welcome,
I see some comments about trailer vs 5th wheel. They are different and not equal - better is defined by the 'user'. We moved from trailer to 5th wheel due to size, and more efficient towing, but that is just an opinion, I like the hitch/tongue weight on the rear truck wheels, not hanging off back of truck. I also use a one-ton truck which is a must.

You need a step ladder to ck the hitch, and connections. Small one is great.
Auto levelers need help if you're on a hill - due to the length and partly limitations of any mechanism has to be known. I still carry blocks to put under wheels in case of not friendly camp site, it is rare issue.
Backing up, turning just takes practice.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #44
Camp CA

The dry weight is ONLY useful in a "starting point" before adding batteries, solar, washer / dryer, satellite, generator, etc., propane, water, if you carry any, and cargo. I typically carry 1600 lbs, including solar, washer / dryer and satellite so am able to keep the loaded weight to at ~15,000 lbs, well below the trailer 16,600 lb gross.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #45
Blueswede

We bought a new 368MBI in January of 2021. After 6 months of towing it with a SRW Ford F-350 I made the move to upgrade to a DRW F450. Now I have no concerns about payload or tow capacity. With this size 5th wheel, a dually is highly recommended. A 3/4 ton truck is way undersized for this trailer. Pin weight alone is around 2800 lbs. Check inside the drivers door for the sticker that denotes the payload capacity. Then add that 2800 to everything that you carry in your truck, including the hitch, people, any luggage, pets, etc…..if that number is higher than the payload rating you have 2 choices. Either upgrade your truck or continue driving knowing that you are towing in an unsafe manner. Only you can decide if it’s worth the risk…
Old 04-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #46
SandyBurg

We're going to have to get one of these. Son can jump up on the tire. We can't. Carrying a step ladder is a pain. So this will be on order soon.

Thanks!!

Ken, Sandy and Dan with Bailey our puppy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali Dully 4WD
2021 Avalanche 365MB
SandyBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBurg View Post
We're going to have to get one of these. Son can jump up on the tire. We can't. Carrying a step ladder is a pain. So this will be on order soon.

Thanks!!
If you are referring to the stop in post #17 I bought one as well after I saw that. Be sure and check Tractor Supply (where I got mine). There are some different brands from various vendors but Tractor Supply had the HitchMate brand (a good one) for less than some of the other places. I just had it sent to my local store and picked it up. Works great on front or rear tires. I, and my legs, are short enough that I keep it on the lowest rung setting but still plenty to be useful. Longer legs would get you even more reach.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #48
pawpaw

Rubbermaid step ladder. 300 lbs rated. Used this to get over the side of my dually to release hitch lever and also to get up on tailgate since I'm way past 18!!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...Z6OiL._AC_.jpg
Old 04-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #49
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Interesting, before I replied to your post I logged out, then opened the orum as a guest and could see it. What device and browser are you using?
I can't see the OP's "about me" info either using my desktop; I use Brave browser and a VPN. I tried it with MS Edge and still nada.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:18 AM   #50
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I can't see the OP's "about me" info either using my desktop; I use Brave browser and a VPN. I tried it with MS Edge and still nada.
OP is up to 5 post, so profile is visible now.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel