Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #41
wegone

We booked a week in West Yellowstone, taking three days to get there, two overnights, and meeting up with the kids and friends.

Our trip last year was such a success, and everyone now wants to go....

Then we have 5 trips booked after that, all within a day from home.

I feel lucky to live where I do.

Heck, I can just stay home here on the island and be happy, clams, salmon, crab, my boat, kayaks, electric bikes....

Gee.... why do I bother to go elsewhere?

FOR SALE, F-250- FX4 and 2019 26 foot double slide bumper pull trailer
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #42
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinKenney View Post
We are planning a trip from Texas to South Dakota then to Wisconsin to visit family. Went and filled up my truck tonight, oh snap $5.19 for diesel. This is going to be an expensive trip. Come hell or high water we are going. Have not seen my family since 2019.
We considered adding an extra week or so to our trip this summer to head back home to Wisconsin as well. It wasn’t part of the original plan which is already NM to SD to Yellowstone, and finally Cheyenne Frontier Days, but I doubt we’ll add the WI part with current prices. So can say we changed plans, just didn’t expand plans. What part of WI are you going to?
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:02 PM   #43
jfk69

We haven’t changed our plans at all, but as I book for the later season trips to state parks, we’ll probably travel a bit less and stay a bit longer. We already have no trips in June as we have a trip to Spain for my youngest son’s wedding in our travel plans so we took that month off our docket for this season. As of now, April-August, we’re down a few days from last year, but we have a longer trip for early October that will make it up a bit. Only two trips out of state, nothing crazy long, so we’ll bite the bullet and camp. Probably means one less time eating out each trip to offset fuel, but no biggie. I love cooking on the Blackstone and campfire.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:58 AM   #44
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
We haven’t changed our plans at all, but as I book for the later season trips to state parks, we’ll probably travel a bit less and stay a bit longer. We already have no trips in June as we have a trip to Spain for my youngest son’s wedding in our travel plans so we took that month off our docket for this season. As of now, April-August, we’re down a few days from last year, but we have a longer trip for early October that will make it up a bit. Only two trips out of state, nothing crazy long, so we’ll bite the bullet and camp. Probably means one less time eating out each trip to offset fuel, but no biggie. I love cooking on the Blackstone and campfire.

Now THIS is the kind of post I like. Good attitude and a plan to keep on keeping on!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:05 AM   #45
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Now THIS is the kind of post I like. Good attitude and a plan to keep on keeping on!
Jim your a glass half full kinda guy..the world needs more of that

I have always tried to be that person but fall short sometimes.

It sometimes just takes one person to lift a group of people out of negative thinking.

When things are bleak it’s good to have someone in the lifeboat that says “we can do this”

You don’t want to be the first person thrown out ..lol

Thanks for the positive thinking
Old 03-12-2022, 04:23 AM   #46
ChuckS

Nope.. not changing our currently booked trips.. We knew several years ago before I retired from my second career we needed to do some long range planning..

Setup a separate RV account used only for RV park bookings, RV repairs, fuel expense, etc

What used to cost us about $60 a night in West Yellowstone now costs $105 a night.

We can control what we spend on our food and we plan our meals befire the trips and buy what we need at Winco, Costco, etc for better prices.

We only eat out a few nights on each of our trips and the rest of the meals are at the RV.. We pack lunches and save big bucks by not using fast food places, etc

Since we are retired and on fixed income we knew we had to plan for the what ifs.. and did.. We drive an older Truck and tow an older RV.. both paid for.

I am also blessed that at age 68 I can still fix just about anything on the truck or RV. An unexpected repair on the road can be a killer.. especially with labor costs and parts availability..

These days if you want to RV and be able to enjoy the lifestyle you have to be prepared, plan, and be flexible...

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

We cancelled out "trip south to warmer areas" this year... NOT because of fuel prices but because of the problems with finding someone to replace the axles on our trailer last fall. Because of axle availability and difficulty getting them before the roads were salted and ice covered, I decided to order the parts and change them myself. All the parts are now here, have been for the past month or so, but it's simply too DAMN COLD (12F right now) to lay under a trailer with cold fingers, shivering while trying to put a wet bolt through a hole on a trailer frame that your fingers freeze to the metal when you touch it and gloves are too bulky to hold the bolt and thread the nut....

SO, we're staying home (for now) and saving money by not buying fuel at $4 a gallon... The plan is to spend EVERY RED CENT of those savings by buying $5 a gallon fuel as soon as it warms up and the new axles are on the trailer.....

Stop RVing? HELL NO !!!!! We paid more than this for diesel in 2016 towing to Yellowstone, so this is a "hiccup that will pass" For now, I'm impatiently waiting for warmer weather so I can drag the trailer out of the pole barn and start working on getting it ready for towing.....

Besides, if you've ever bought gas or diesel at an "on the water marina" then you've already been exposed to "OUTRAGEOUS FUEL PRICES" and suffered through the wallet shock... This should be nothing new to worry about compared to that.... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #48
wegone

I lived through the odd-even days of the fuel shortage, that was no bueno.

I can't see waiting in line with my trailer.

Hope we NEVER see that insanity again.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #49
jasin1

I’ve noticed people where I live will wait in line for a long long time just to save 10 cents on a gallon of gas.
It never made much sense to me because either idling or shutting off and constantly restarting the car probably burns up that extra savings just waiting in the line.
And if that didn’t make a difference I’d say my time is worth more then sitting in a self imposed traffic jam
Old 03-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #50
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve noticed people where I live will wait in line for a long long time just to save 10 cents on a gallon of gas.
It never made much sense to me because either idling or shutting off and constantly restarting the car probably burns up that extra savings just waiting in the line.
And if that didn’t make a difference I’d say my time is worth more then sitting in a self imposed traffic jam
I had a neighbor that drove 25 miles one way in a vehicle that got 25 mpg to save .03 per gallon & was totally surprised when I did the math for him pointing the error to his madness.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I had a neighbor that drove 25 miles one way in a vehicle that got 25 mpg to save .03 per gallon & was totally surprised when I did the math for him pointing the error to his madness.

My dad went to extremes like that from the time I was a kid. He would drive 15 miles out of his way to buy gas at a Cosden station for .19 when it was .21 on the way. Later on he would drive ALL around a town to find a station that sold fuel for a penny less. He didn't want to hear no different, he was "saving money". He was that way until he died.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:38 AM   #52
notanlines

Danny, I love this 'looking back' at people we've known and things they did. My dad, as long as I can remember, would drive around a parking lot countless times until he found a space up front. While walking around his local 9-hole course never bothered him in the least.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:58 AM   #53
jasin1

I lived with my Grandparents for a good part of my childhood. My grandfathers “thing” was brakes.
He drove mostly older cars…hardly ever had 4 of the same tires..paid cash for everything.

He would take the corner at the end of our road on 2 wheels so he wouldn’t wear out the brakes.

He would start drifting a 1/4 mile from a redlight so he would drift up as it was turning green again ( like truck drivers sometimes do)

He also NEVER went anywhere unless he combined multiple trips and had a purpose.

Miss him a lot and I wasn’t always the best grandson. He was a retired govt machinist, but also shucked oysters at all of the local bull roasts.
He taught me how to shuck as well and we worked together from when I was 14 til I gave it up in the 90s (mostly weekend events )
Old 03-13-2022, 05:27 AM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

I guess we all "quirks" when judged by others. I remember when I meet my DW in the mid 1970's. Took her and her father to a steakhouse for lunch one day. It was cafeteria style and he ordered his steak, got corn-on-the-cobb, potatoe, 3 desserts (yes three) and at the register he ordered a Tab to drink. I asked him if he liked the taste of Tab as I thought it tasted like battery acid. His reply? "No, I don't like the taste but I'm on a diet." I guess he thought that diet soda offset the other 4,000 calories he was consuming.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:07 AM   #55
NH_Bulldog

My first wife and I took her parents out to dinner early in our relationship. My future father in law ordered a 16 oz boneless ribeye steak, medium rare. When our order came he immediately cut is steak into two pieces; 1/3 and 2/3. He pushed the 2/3 piece to the side and ate the rest of his dinner and asked for a doggie bag…….for his already spoiled and overweight Dachshund to eat the bigger piece of the most beautiful and succulent ribeye I had ever seen up to that point. Never again!

Anyway, the only plans I have changed as a result of fuel prices and inflation is putting off the purchase of our new truck. Mostly due to lack of availability of existing stock, plus options/features not available on custom order models, but also insane dealer markups.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:16 AM   #56
Sokcap48

We are going. Had trip semi planned for 3 years and I am not getting any younger, at my age I believe I better do it now while I am still able never know how your health will be tomorrow let alone next year. We planned a 4K mile trip, going from southern Utah to Memphis and wander back home stopping along the way, and I have budgeted diesel at $8 per gallon that will be 3200. Crazy but we are going and going to enjoy in spite of the fuel prices.
Safe travels to all who venture out.
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #57
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
.........Anyone else change their plans for this year?
No.........been camping whenever/wherever we want through Covid and the marginal increase in fuel has not changed our camping plans.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #58
Rwake901

Go fund me

We spent the winter in Florida in our 5th wheel. Now my sister in law is joking that she’s going to start a Go Fund Me page so we can get back to Illinois. LOL Maybe we’ll just stay in Florida. 😀
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:32 AM   #59
Courser Farm

No we are not canx our month long trip to Yellowstone in May. Fuel dropped 15c Friday in VA/eastern shore so it is always gonna be in flux. We will cut back someplace else.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #60
jerseyphil

This old retired person on fixed income WAS planning to go to Michigan this July to see the Isabella County Fair where Doctor Yan Pol is the fair doctor. I love his show, The Incredible Dr. Pol.
The price of Diesel is just insane.
So, we will just stay put this year.

Thanks Joe
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote