Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2022, 02:57 AM   #21
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I have been thinking about buying the easy start for my 13.5K rear ac and picking up one of these generators https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 is this the same generator you are using just not dual fuel? I have a Champion 3400 that will run it without the Easy Start but it is heavy and bulky. The 200951 is only 39lbs and has a much smaller footprint.
Nice price on that inverter generator and the specs look good... Wish they had some of these nice options 9 years ago when we bought our two Honda 2000's...

Also this soft start is a good unit...
https://www.softstartrv.com/best-rv-...s-softstartrv/

ALso watch Mike Sokol's video on this unit showing some of the amperage draws

https://youtu.be/vNmyS2f8lys

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #22
jxnbbl

Quote:
I have been thinking about buying the easy start for my 13.5K rear ac and picking up one of these generators https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 is this the same generator you are using just not dual fuel? I have a Champion 3400 that will run it without the Easy Start but it is heavy and bulky. The 200951 is only 39lbs and has a much smaller footprint.
Yes that is the generator (except mine is dual fuel). I just checked the price I paid and the dual f looks like it has gone up to $705 from $580.02 in 10 months! Anyways, I bought mine directly from softstartrv.com. At the time it was free shipping, there was an extra $25-50 off from the amazon pricing and I think the warrantee was extended an extra year. Personally I would go with softistart or microair as I went to amazon and there are some knock offs now.

I found it easily ran the AC....even in a situation where we did not expect to need it (electrical company doing the main over for the campground in the keys...everyone was planning for 5-6 hours without power and the campground lifted their "no generator" rules).

Good luck
Jay
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:20 AM   #23
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Yes that is the generator (except mine is dual fuel). I just checked the price I paid and the dual f looks like it has gone up to $705 from $580.02 in 10 months! Anyways, I bought mine directly from softstartrv.com. At the time it was free shipping, there was an extra $25-50 off from the amazon pricing and I think the warrantee was extended an extra year. Personally I would go with softistart or microair as I went to amazon and there are some knock offs now.

I found it easily ran the AC....even in a situation where we did not expect to need it (electrical company doing the main over for the campground in the keys...everyone was planning for 5-6 hours without power and the campground lifted their "no generator" rules).

Good luck
Jay
Thanks for the reply. Is it as quiet as Champion claims? I will probably pull the trigger on buying one in the next few days. We are taking a friend that is looking to get into RVing to a show in Ocala next weekend hopefully the SoftStart People will be there and I can get a deal on one. Taking the 5ver in for round 2 (hopefully the last) of warranty work today there is still some back and forth going on about the delamination on the rear panel. Keystone trying to cheap out on fixing it, it only shows up when the sun is hitting it but if you tap on it you can hear that it is hollow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210814_38563.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	38483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210814_38713.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	38484  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:27 AM   #24
jxnbbl

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Is it as quiet as Champion claims? I will probably pull the trigger on buying one in the next few days. We are taking a friend that is looking to get into RVing to a show in Ocala next weekend hopefully the SoftStart People will be there and I can get a deal on one. Taking the 5ver in for round 2 (hopefully the last) of warranty work today there is still some back and forth going on about the delamination on the rear panel. Keystone trying to cheap out on fixing it, it only shows up when the sun is hitting it but if you tap on it you can hear that it is hollow.

I've owned a Honda in the 1000 range but for a different use as well as larger construction generators. In terms of noise it is great..of course when loading up with the AC it is louder than just watching TV but we have never had a complaint when we have used in the company of others and actually compliments.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:20 AM   #25
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Nice price on that inverter generator and the specs look good... Wish they had some of these nice options 9 years ago when we bought our two Honda 2000's...

Also this soft start is a good unit...
https://www.softstartrv.com/best-rv-...s-softstartrv/

ALso watch Mike Sokol's video on this unit showing some of the amperage draws

https://youtu.be/vNmyS2f8lys
I found it for the same price at Acmetools so I ordered it Thursday. I will get it tomorrow or Tuesday. So what happens yesterday I get an email from Amazon with a sale price of $440😠.

Got a question about installing a easy start/ soft start unit. My AC's have Styrofoam insulation pieces pretty much filling every void under the shroud is there room under there for the unit?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 02-27-2022, 04:35 AM   #26
jxnbbl

Quote:
...My AC's have Styrofoam insulation pieces pretty much filling every void under the shroud is there room under there for the unit?
I don't know what model AC you have...you might have posted this, but I don't remember. I thought the same thing when I took off the cowling.

For mine (GE) there was a spot that worked out fine. I attached it directly to the Styrofoam I used weatherproof double sided tape and 3 (couldn't get my fingers to the fourth) screws gooped up with some silicone (I think). I then cut strips of gorilla weatherproof tape and taped over the screws/holes.

Attached is a picture of the location. (between the styrofoam and the electrical enclosure there was just enough space.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf softstart.pdf (183.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-27-2022, 06:25 AM   #27
pbaz

Thank you all

I bought two for my RV they are on the way from Florida now. I bought the Bluetooth version. (Im a nerd and I had to see it work) I bought it from a marine equipment dealer. It was the best price I could find.
Cant wait to install them.
pbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:46 AM   #28
JBM3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaz View Post
I bought two for my RV they are on the way from Florida now. I bought the Bluetooth version. (Im a nerd and I had to see it work) I bought it from a marine equipment dealer. It was the best price I could find.
Cant wait to install them.
And what was your price?

I got mine yesterday,actually it looks worth the amount they charge, it is substantial, not just a chip in a box.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:03 AM   #29
pbaz

$311 ea. out the door. It was the best I could find for the Bluetooth version.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #30
JBM3M

You might let folks know where that was, I bought from dealer with $30 off and still paid $324 after taxes, free shipping.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:22 AM   #31
pbaz

Citimarine Miami FL
Old 02-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #32
carln

I have a SoftStartRV - it was easy to install. I use it so I can run my AC off of my large LiFePo battery and inverter, as well as my generator. I've only used it a few times, but am very happy with it.
carln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #33
JBM3M

How large is your LiFePo and inverter, I may go this way in the future
Old 02-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #34
CaptnJohn

My neighbor at s&b is an electrical engineer. After much research he installed 2 from Husky Mountain with Bluetooth on his 5er. He added 1 on my new Montana. Have only played a little bit but 15k plus res refer runs fine on 20 amp home plug and 1 Champion 2000 watt Benny. Same when the 16.5k heat pump is on.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:44 AM   #35
carln

I have a 555AH Lithionics Battery with a Xantrex 3000W Converter/Inverter. I love it since I boondock most of the time. Probably too much battery, but I'll likely reverse that opinion when I'm camping for a week with no sun to work the solar panel. I carry my generator when I know I'll have to run AC or know it will be hard to re-charge with solar. Still learning the ins/outs . . .
carln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #36
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I don't know what model AC you have...you might have posted this, but I don't remember. I thought the same thing when I took off the cowling.

For mine (GE) there was a spot that worked out fine. I attached it directly to the Styrofoam I used weatherproof double sided tape and 3 (couldn't get my fingers to the fourth) screws gooped up with some silicone (I think). I then cut strips of gorilla weatherproof tape and taped over the screws/holes.

Attached is a picture of the location. (between the styrofoam and the electrical enclosure there was just enough space.
Have the Dometic Quiet Cool Ducted Sytem. 5ver is at dealer for warranty work will have to wait until I get it back to check it out.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 02-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #37
ObiRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
No, RV only has one unit in main area, vent over bed. I demand AC for bedroom, against wife's wishes.
That will be a BIG mistake. Unhappy wife, unhappy life. And trailers aren't big enough to get away...
ObiRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #38
KJLarson

I installed a micro air softstart and run everything in the trailer off three 100ah AGM batteries using three 330 watt solar panels on the roof. I am upgrading to one 300ah LiFePO4 battery to save weight for trips this year. Since I only run the A/C during the day the solar provides all the power I need in addition of charging the batteries. The softstart really works so go for it.
KJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:31 AM   #39
ENJ

SoftStartRV vs MicroAir softstarter

Based on Mike Sokol's recommendation after he tested and published that it works as advertised, I bought the SoftStartRV soft starter and installed the unit on my Cougar 25RES 15K BTU AC. Works great with the Honda 2200W generator. I installed it with cell phone in hand as the tech led me through wire hookup real time while on the top of my 5th wheel. It took 10 minutes.

Any advertiser (Micro-Air) that says that "easy start" (softstarters) are "only available" from them, irritates me. Of course that brand is only available from them. For that reason I wouldn't buy from them.

SoftStartRV install instructions are fool proof and logical.

If you are not familiar with Mike Sokol, you should look him up. You will be glad you did, for all of your RV electrical questions.
ENJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #40
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Do you have Soft Start? Are you pleased with it?
I need to clarify, SoftStartRV

Considering one(two) for our 5th wheel. Two 11,500 btu, have Honda EU3000. Soft Start claims you can run 2 units on 30 amp with these.

I also hear customer support is nil...?

SoftStartRV is worth the money. I barely hear the compressor ramp up.
I have SoftStart installed on 13.5K BTU & 15K BTU on our 5th Wheel.
With SoftStart I have run both AC on the 30A generator.
I try to use one AC at a time to cut down on generator fuel.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote