Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #21
Williston324

Have a Pilot RV Plus card. It’s not a credit card. You pay off your balance charged each month. Gives you 8 cents off the posted price. They’re high to begin with but for us at 58 feet it’s very convenient. We always go to the truck side, it’s easy access and swipe and pump, no going inside if you don’t need to. We usually do though and it’s easy parking out with the rigs.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:35 AM   #22
travelin texans

I can't remember the last time I saw a Sinclair or Phillips 66 station. Both of those have gone the way of the dinosaur on the Sinclair stations in my area, extinct.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw a Sinclair or Phillips 66 station. Both of those have gone the way of the dinosaur on the Sinclair stations in my area, extinct.
When I do a search the closest station to me is in NJ just across the Deleware River, across from Philly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #24
jsmiller47

Credit Card Discounts on Gas Purchases

I have an American Express Cash Preferred card that pays a 3% discount on gas purchases as a rebate. The card costs $95 a year. At Pilot and Flying J I use my Good Sam discount for 5cents per gallon Gasoline or 8cents per gallon diesel and 5cents per gallon on propane in the US. In Canada, it is only 1cent per gallon gas or diesel.

At $4.00 per gallon for gas in the US a $120 fill-up at Pilot saves nearly $4.00 so you get one gallon free. For diesel, it would be a little higher.

If you want a card with no annual fee the Wells Fargo Active Cash rebates 2% on all purchases.
jsmiller47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #25
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiRich View Post
If you travel in the west a lot, the Maverik Nitro offers 6 cents off, and more and more of Maveriks are RV friendly.
Be aware that the Nitro card is a literal debit card directly from your bank account, not a credit or loyalty card. Those who are wary of proliferating outward-facing siphon feeds from their private accounts can opt for Maverik's Adventure Club card which is a pure loyalty card, but offers only a 2˘ advantage (sweetened by a point system towards FreeStuf inside). It's disappointing, but financial privacy isn't free.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #26
Spock123

I am retired military and I use PenFed credit card that saves 5% off the price of diesel. I have to swipe the card at the pump. Truckstop diesel is usually.30 to 50 cents higher than Walmart. I have a 100gal auxiliary tank in my truck. There is a way to be a member of PenFed without being retired military. I use a Verizon credit card that gives me 4% off at the pump. My cell phone bill is kind of high so I like to cut my phone bill down when I can. I cut $61 bucks off my phone bill next month. The only time my truck goes into a truckstop is to put def in my truck, Walmart is a little cheaper with its 2 1/2 gallon jugs of def but truckstop def is a little easier to put in
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:16 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to keep in mind is the "cents off per gallon" and "percent off purchase"... At 3.499 per gallon, a 10 cents off per gallon makes it 3.399 per gallon. That same gas at 5% cash back has a net cost of 3.324 per gallon.

So watch the discounts, cents per gallon and percentage per dollar are not equal. The more expensive fuel becomes, the more dramatic the difference will be.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #28
LnS

a no strings option (no CC, no discount or loyalty card etc.) is "getupside". It is an online app that provides regular discounts of 0.03 to 0.12 / gal from multiple gas outlets. The downside is most of the outlets may be better suited for non Class A and TT setups. I've used it at TA, BP, Syphinx (sic?), that were sized for my modestly sized rig. You pay the price on the pump and within days your acct is credited with the pre-disclosed discount. The acct builds a cash value that can be sent to you in various ways, and recently to your existing CC.
Not for everyone I suppose but another option to consider
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #29
Opa 1

We have a Costco anywhere credit card that gives 4% cash back for the first $7000 dollars on gas. What I do not know is if diesel also applies. You do have to use fuel stations convince and discount stations are excluded. Does anyone know if Costco Citi anywhere card applies to diesel as well?
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #30
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Get a TSD Logistics card. Saves $.30+ per gallon at Loves, TA.
Just saved a bit over $.52/gal at Petro in Glendale, KY. That included the fees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Petro.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	36851  
Old 10-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #31
snelson600

Gas Buddy & Costco

We tried using the Gas Buddy card, as they have deals with gas companies for 5 cents/gal off if you go to that station. I liked that it is a debit card and I don’t have to worry about making a peek at the end of the month. But they are very restrictive as to $75 per transaction, and $150 net per week. Well, if you drive a diesel truck and you’re on the road, it does not work.

We recently got the Costco credit card. This works out pretty good. They give you 4% back on fuel! Up to $7000 per month. So, if we put in 30 gallons at $3.59/ gal, that 4% drops that price to $3.45/gal. A nice savings when you’re on the road and filling up the truck every 500 miles.
It also gives lesser percentages on other items.
snelson600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #32
snelson600

Yes it does!
snelson600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock123 View Post
I am retired military and I use PenFed credit card that saves 5% off the price of diesel.
There is a way to be a member of PenFed without being retired military.
I used to walk by the PenFed office in the concourse of the Pentagon every day, and would have opened an account there, had I been eligible. 50 years later, I suddenly discovered that I am!

PenFed now issues the "affinity" credit cards for both the NRA and AMAC, so if you're a member of either of those, Bob's your uncle. And yes, they do offer "double points" on gas purchases, which are redeemable for cashback.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:20 AM   #34
RickV

Stopped at T/A on my way home from picking up the 5er at my dealers after some warranty work. Saved just under $0 65 a gallon worked out to about $3.02 a gallon I'll take that all day . At local stations best price is around $3.33 and that's at Sam's club everywhere else is around $3.49-3.59.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211204-193932_Fuel_Card.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	37374  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #35
friz

[QUOTE=ChuckS;474291]..................I'm not fond of linking any card directly to my bank account.. old school I guess.

Well Chuck, I believe the credit cards in your wallet are linked to a bank account. The TSD card is a credit card.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

[QUOTE=friz;478540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
..................I'm not fond of linking any card directly to my bank account.. old school I guess.

Well Chuck, I believe the credit cards in your wallet are linked to a bank account. The TSD card is a credit card.
A "TSD credit card" is not issued by a bank and not regulated by FDIC.... I could be wrong, but I don't recall any "terms of service" detailing the maximum amount you're responsible for if the card is lost, stolen or used by an unauthorized person. There's a difference in the TSD card "limits of responsibiltiy" and a credit card issued by a bank.

NONE of my credit cards are linked to my bank accounts. In fact, they aren't even issued by "my bank where I have savings, investments and checking accounts"... I do have a "debit card" issued by "my bank" but it has a set limit for which I'm responsible, if the card is stolen or used by someone for unauthorized purchases. I don't believe there is any "safeguard against loss" with the TSD card... Again, I could be wrong, but I believe there's an increased risk for loss with the TSD program. If I were to apply for a TSD card, I'd first visit "my bank" and set up a specific account with limited funds and link the TSD card to that account with "MY BANK'S" understanding that withdrawls do not come from my savings or checking account. Then I'd transfer funds into the TSD linked account in limited amounts, to cover purchases (with some excess to assure no overdrafts)...

They aren't the same.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #37
notanlines

Maybe it would behoove you to do a Google search for those who have been harmed as a holder of the TDS card. You would do the same for tires, shocks, any number of other things. Surely with the thousands of users there would be evidence of this kind of action. Or maybe it is best to pay premium price. You have to decide for yourself.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

I have had many a cc over the years. From corp Gold Amex to personal flavors. There are many things one can do to protect yourself against fraud. Your cc company or lending institution will happily give you advice. As I understand the TSD card requires your social security number. That's a deal breaker for me. I shared that info with the government, my employer and my tax accountant.

I recall 40 years ago the medical offices (doctors, dentist, etc) would say "it was required" for billing. Back then they would use it as a patient ID. I refused, told them to figure out another way and they always did. That was years before identity theft was a huge issue. When our children were horn we put their SS cards in our safety deposit box at the bank until they "became of legal age". So for us it's worked, never had an identity theft. Of course this is in conjuction with being cautious and not loosing my wallet or having been robbed. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #39
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Maybe it would behoove you to do a Google search for those who have been harmed as a holder of the TDS card. You would do the same for tires, shocks, any number of other things. Surely with the thousands of users there would be evidence of this kind of action. Or maybe it is best to pay premium price. You have to decide for yourself.
Or, you could do a search for "data breach" and note that it only takes one of these to expose the information of tens or hundreds of thousands of users in one incident. If credit card information gets stolen in a data breach, then the hacker has only the same advantage as an unscrupulous waiter, which is zero risk to me because my CC company assumes that risk. If he can duplicate and sell a debit card from that information, it becomes a siphon hose to my bank account.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #40
ChuckS

[QUOTE=friz;478540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
..................I'm not fond of linking any card directly to my bank account.. old school I guess.

I would just have to say I think you are misinformed.. The Good Sams CC in my wallet IS NOT linked to my bank account...

It is too easy to get a CC hacked at many gas station card readers. The folks are doing their best to minimize this but it occurs quite a bit.. I can deal with my GS credit card getting hacked.. my bank account.. not so much..

Wife is retired bank manager so I am fairly well up to date on these items.. but learn something new every day..

I have used my 3 gas CCs for years to protect my bank account from getting hacked.. I pay the gas purchases that I make during the day if traveling when we get setup at our destination so I don't carry any balances and don't pay any interest

Back in 2013 when I was still commuting to work I always stopped on my motor cycle and got fuel in the morning and a news paper.. I used my debit card and it was hacked..

I knew this pretty quickly when someone used my hacked card info that afternoon and made these purchases..

purchases made in Texas.. I live in Idaho
first purchase was at KFC for about $12
second purchase was attempted at a Best buy for about $900
** my bank denied the purchase and I was notified via text and email that someone was attempting to use my debit card
** had to cancel the card and get new one issued
This would be a pain on the road.. no way to get a new debit card
** So you can see why I don't link bank accounts to CC and dont use Debit card to make purchases at gas pumps

I am exploring the latest trends with the Gas Apps and currently playing with two.. Phillips 66 is one and it is also good at Conoco... the other one I just tired yesterday was the Sinclair since they are all over out in Idaho and Montana..

I have limits set at $1 on the GS credit card when I use it for gas so if it were hacked I would get an immediate text and email notification.

Just used the Phillips 66 App and saved $.25 a gallon on my diesel fuel purchase.. I'll take that any day..

The App offers right now may not last long but for now I will take what I can get

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel