Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Boosting Back up camera signal

i purchased a wireless backup camera that is capable of always being on. It is not a furrion brand. I cannot seem to have the signal stay solid, it keeps going in and out and is almost worthless. Everytime I do need it, it seems to have gone out. I have tried to adjust the antennas on the camera and screen, I even bought an antenna I could stick to the top of my truck to get it closer to the camper and still had the same issue.

It this something that can be affected by my bluetooth, or the bluetooth of other drivers on the road?

Does anyone else have this issue?

Besides going wired what are some ways (if any) to improve the signal?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
JDDilly

I purchased a Haloview RD7 for that reason. The Furrion I had a before that lost the signal when driving. The RD7 (range dominator) comes with a wired antenna that you run to the front of you rig on the roof.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
i purchased a wireless backup camera that is capable of always being on. It is not a furrion brand. I cannot seem to have the signal stay solid, it keeps going in and out and is almost worthless. Everytime I do need it, it seems to have gone out. I have tried to adjust the antennas on the camera and screen, I even bought an antenna I could stick to the top of my truck to get it closer to the camper and still had the same issue.

It this something that can be affected by my bluetooth, or the bluetooth of other drivers on the road?

Some brands are "NOTHING BUT JUNK" and every brand has an occasional bad device. The first thing you need to do is determine whether you have a bad device or a bad brand. To do that, you'll need to mount the camera closer to your receiver (you could do that by mounting it on a 2x4 strapped to your tail gate) and see if you get any improved reception.

You also don't give any indication of the type trailer (TT or FW) or the length. Many, maybe even most inexpensive wireless cameras will have issues transmitting a strong signal from the back of a 40' fifth wheel while that same camera may work well on the back of a 18' travel trailer.

Essentially, a wireless signal is "all about distance between the transmitter/receiver, interference caused by "nearby wireless signals" and solid objects between the camera antenna and the monitor antenna"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
Hblick48

Quote:

This also happened to me. I noticed that the "loss of signal" happened more frequently when in heavy traffic. I did some research and found out that cameras and certain TPMS use the same frequency. When you get near other vehicles with camera or TPMS, their signal causes you to lose signal. I finally hardwired my camera to the monitor screen, and haven't had a drop out since.

Edit: I moved the camera antenna to the closet in front of my bedroom (10 feet away from the receiver) and still had the problem.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:57 AM   #5
Frisbeekev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some brands are "NOTHING BUT JUNK" and every brand has an occasional bad device. The first thing you need to do is determine whether you have a bad device or a bad brand. To do that, you'll need to mount the camera closer to your receiver (you could do that by mounting it on a 2x4 strapped to your tail gate) and see if you get any improved reception.

You also don't give any indication of the type trailer (TT or FW) or the length. Many, maybe even most inexpensive wireless cameras will have issues transmitting a strong signal from the back of a 40' fifth wheel while that same camera may work well on the back of a 18' travel trailer.

Essentially, a wireless signal is "all about distance between the transmitter/receiver, interference caused by "nearby wireless signals" and solid objects between the camera antenna and the monitor antenna"....
Our unit is a 32ft passport 2920bh. I put the antenna at the back of the cab of the truck. Still thinking I need to get it closer or look for a hardwired option.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:58 AM   #6
Frisbeekev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
This also happened to me. I noticed that the "loss of signal" happened more frequently when in heavy traffic. I did some research and found out that cameras and certain TPMS use the same frequency. When you get near other vehicles with camera or TPMS, their signal causes you to lose signal. I finally hardwired my camera to the monitor screen, and haven't had a drop out since.

Edit: I moved the camera antenna to the closet in front of my bedroom (10 feet away from the receiver) and still had the problem.
Did you buy a whole new unit to hardwire or is there a kit I could get to hardwire my current wireless camera?
Old 05-28-2021, 05:06 AM   #7
RickV

I had to put a 12' extension Antenna on my camera. Now it works but it lags about 2-3 seconds so it is only really good for backing. The Antenna had magnetic base there was really nothing metal on my roof to attach it to so I used Gorilla Tape.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
Hblick48

Quote:
Did you buy a whole new unit to hardwire or is there a kit I could get to hardwire my current wireless camera?
It depends on how your equipment is configured. I created my own system. Standard camera, monitor that mounts on the rearview mirror, and a wireless transmitter and receiver. When I hard wired, I just removed the wireless components. I had a cable setup from an old home surveillance system. It had bnc connectors, and video equipment used RCA connectors. Purchased RCA to bnc adaptors. Video cable in truck is by trailer plug. 5th wheel cable is zip tied to trailer umbilical cable. Plug in trailer and attach bnc connector, good to go.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote