Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
eshmukler

Fresh Water Fill I-80 Near Cooksburg, PA

Can anyone recommend a spot to fill our fresh water tank in the Cooksburg, PA area? I've struck out everywhere I've checked. We're setting up on private property without running water and with only a generator this weekend.

I've reached out to the state park near there and they don't offer water filling for non-guests. I've asked a couple of the private campgrounds and they don't either. And from what I can see, the I-80 rest stops closest (both east and west bound) have dumping facilities but no potable water.

Thanks!
eshmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
JDDilly

Is there a Camping World in the area? I have filled at a few of them over the years.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:58 AM   #3
eshmukler

Hadn't considered anything like that, but unfortunately the two on our route are either way before or way after where we're going. Thanks for that idea though!
Old 05-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
LHaven

Call the nearest Chamber of Commerce and ask them about public water fills. Especially in rural and semi-rural areas, there are almost always facilities for townspeople who live off the grid to fill water trucks, usually at very modest prices.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
eshmukler

Another great idea! I hadn't thought of that either, but that is the route I'll probably take. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
gearhead

Can't you fill it at home?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:55 AM   #7
Doubletaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshmukler View Post
Can anyone recommend a spot to fill our fresh water tank in the Cooksburg, PA area? I've struck out everywhere I've checked. We're setting up on private property without running water and with only a generator this weekend.

I've reached out to the state park near there and they don't offer water filling for non-guests. I've asked a couple of the private campgrounds and they don't either. And from what I can see, the I-80 rest stops closest (both east and west bound) have dumping facilities but no potable water.

Thanks!

I camp along the Clarion River many times. What I do is fill my tank from the springs along the river. I fill 7 gallons jugs at a time and pump them in the fresh tank with a battery operated transfer pump I bought at Harbor freight for about $10.00. not sure how much your tank holds but it doesn't tank that long. I usually at least fill my fresh water tank at home to 1/4 filled. ~doubletaper
Doubletaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:33 AM   #8
jasin1

I would stop at the first little mom and pop store or restaurant maybe even a fruit stand and offer them $20 to fill up your tank. I would also carry a couple water jugs in my truck. You could get a water bladder and pump from Amazon, although it can be a bit of an upfront cost, it should last years. If you offer the $20 it shows your not a freeloader and they will prob say “I don’t need any money but thanks for offering”
Old 05-29-2021, 04:46 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Can't you fill it at home?
X2
are you so close on weight that you can't? Fill at home so you know he quality of the water.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

saw this late (just joined) but my other house is there....aint no chambers of commerce or any other chambers! can you water up at the cook forest campground the top of 36 after you cross the bridge? if you come off I80, is the fly j water potable? what about at dale smith? there are 2-3 drinking springs up 'river road' east of cooksburg AND clarington, but no where to pull over with a TT and its flowing, not under pressure. if you go up forest road to deer meadow they might have a potable water hookup. dunno if the bath houses in the park by the picnic areas or toms run have spigots at the shelters....no one ever asked me that one before!
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water