Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
MRFUJO

Onan generator installation

Hi. I have a 2020 Fuzion Impact 359. I am wondering if anyone has the onan QG 5500 EVAP installed on this unit and could send me detailed pics? The dealer wants to install it for so much more than if I bought it myself. It’s prewired and everything. Thanks!
MRFUJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
LewisB

Pictures from my trailer would be different. When they say "prep'd for generator" what does that include? There is a lot more than just a cabinet and wires, so I'm not surprised at some significant costs. For example:
  • Fuel tank with filler inlet (must be certified).
  • Fuel lines from tank to generator. If the tank is in the rear (usual) then removal of all the underbelly coroplast to accommodate the fuel line installation.
  • Transfer switch (shore power vs generator sources)
  • Electrical connections to batteries
  • Electrical connections to WFCO power center.
  • Internal starter/monitor control panel and wires.
  • Probably more that I'm forgetting.
So if you want a true OE built-in installation, you will have a significant amount of work above the cost of just the raw generator. You will either need to complete this work on your own or pay someone else to get it done. I think this is one of the reasons so many choose to use a "portable" generator and just plug in their power cord when the generator was not installed at the factory.

Rather than asking only for users with your trailer model, I would recommend you ask ANY user who has attempted to add a built-in generator after purchase. I seem to recall seeing some photos of this type of installation. Ask what were the pluses and minuses for a DIY job of that scope. One of the single biggest issues will be fuel; either propane or gasoline, but keeping a generator in fuel using a 5 gallon bucket is going to be a real pain after multiple days out on a trip.

Hope that helps with your decisions.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
MRFUJO

Generator prep

Everything is already wired and hooked up from factory. The generator compartment has a to and from line already ran from the rear fuel tank and capped off. Also a wireing harness is already wired into the camper and resting in the compartment to plug into the generator. All that is needed is the generator and the exhaust setup from what the dealer tells me. Yet they want 7k!!!
Old 12-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
MRFUJO

Gen prep

This is why I want to see my exact model with a generator setup.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Gen install is fairly easy and straight forward. If your unit is gen prepped, then it already has the box in the front compartment. If you post pics of what you have, we can guide you through the whole thing. I have installed lots and I’d be more than happy to give you detailed instructions...No Charge!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
notanlines

Joshua, there are a number of members here and on Forest River who have done what you plan. Chuckster doesn't need me to back his statement, but it is not more than he just told you. Go for it, big guy. You'll be glad you did.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
MRFUJO

Generator prep

Thanks! Right now our camper is covered up for the winter and a blizzard outside so I can’t get pics to you but sounds like a job I’ll be taking on with your advice thanks! I will get back with you all when I get it in!
Old 12-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
MRFUJO

Thanks. I thought I’d show 2 pictures of what I’m looking at. One inside and one of the factory installed connections in the generator compartment. I’m going to order the generator and exhaust with hangers. Shouldn’t need anything else right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D90FAC-4679-4F53-A0B9-D4A8EC420D1F.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	31320   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CDD5F25-78B7-436E-A70C-01C2B3503164.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	31321  
Old 12-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

My "guess is" that you do not have a transfer switch installed as part of that "factory ready generator package". So, you'll need the generator, wiring from the generator to the battery, the transfer switch and likely wiring from the transfer switch to the trailer power center and to the generator.

All I see in the first photo is a "hour meter wiring plug" (could also control the start switch, but I'm not sure) and what appears to be "fuel tubing" (supply and return) from your onboard fuel tank.

Unless there's "more wiring somewhere that you haven't posted a photo of" then all I see is a "plug to the hour meter and a fuel line that may/may not actually be connected to the tank"...

So, unless the transfer switch is included in the generator package you buy, you'll need all the wiring/supplies to install and connect the transfer switch to the trailer power center as well as all the wiring/supplies to connect the generator to the transfer switch.

ADDED: The installation instructions manual is available here: https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...stall_2018.pdf

If you haven't downloaded that manual and reviewed it, I'd urge you to take a couple hours and go over everything in the manual. The transfer switch/electrical connections are on pages 50-56

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
MRFUJO

Generator install

I just double checked and yes there is a transfer switch already installed from factory.

Tags
generator