Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2020, 04:37 AM   #21
Reddog222

First of all, Welcome to the forum. We sleep on a residential queen size sleep number bed. I added a couple inches of plywood to the foot end of the base. DW can adjust her side to her liking and I can adjust mine. The mattress is about 7.5" tall. After lifting up the bed, I took the plywood that makes the compartment floor below off. I put the compressor on the floor and cut two 1" holes so the two hoses can connect to the mattress. I ran the electrical chord out the side. The mattress is also light and makes changing sheets very easy.
Andersen Hitch
Reddog222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #22
dutchmensport

Just my 2 cents:

Get the camper first and after you have the camper in your possession, THEN get the new mattress. You may be surprised that the factory installed mattress is quite comfortable.

When we got our Montana High Country, I was prepared to get a new mattress. In all of our previous campers, we eventually swapped them out. However, once we got the High Country, the mattress was actually quite comfortable. We used it for about 18 months, and this was sleeping on it almost every night for 18 months.

Although the mattress was quite comfortable, the reason we decided to finally swap out for a new one, was because the mattress cover material itself started wearing thin and shredding. But it was still very comfortable. Not bad for a factory installed mattress.

Well, we purchased a Helix 12 inch medium firm, 2 pillows, and the waterproof mattress cover for around $1200. Expensive? Yes? But we wanted a really good mattress.

So we got the mattress. Being foam it came in a box all squished up. We opened the box inside the camper, pulled it out, and cut the plastic wrap and the thing came alive! But wow, was that thing heavy!

One thing we did not take into account getting a mattress like this, was the weight. Being on the main bed, lifting the bed to reach this storage underneath, those gas shocks that are suppose to hold it up, are way, way too weak now. Whenever we get under the bed, it takes both of us. One to life and hold it up, the other to dig underneath to get what we want out. Boy wow, is that mattress comfortable. 12 inches of foam. Sleeps wonderful.

So, my suggestion, wait till you actually get the camper and give it a fair shake. After you have the camper, you can pick one up that you know will fit, will be comfortable and will fit your needs.

About the make and model of the mattress for your camper? Any one of them will work, provided the size fits. We swapped all our previous one for Serta's, because that what we have in our house. My son had a Helix and when we tried his bed, we were sold. But get the camper first, then the new mattress. You can go to any box store and have one within a day or two. So, if you get one now, where are you going to store it till the camper comes? Just a though and trying to think practical here.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Just my 2 cents:

Get the camper first and after you have the camper in your possession, THEN get the new mattress. You may be surprised that the factory installed mattress is quite comfortable.

When we got our Montana High Country, I was prepared to get a new mattress. In all of our previous campers, we eventually swapped them out. However, once we got the High Country, the mattress was actually quite comfortable. We used it for about 18 months, and this was sleeping on it almost every night for 18 months.

Although the mattress was quite comfortable, the reason we decided to finally swap out for a new one, was because the mattress cover material itself started wearing thin and shredding. But it was still very comfortable. Not bad for a factory installed mattress.

Well, we purchased a Helix 12 inch medium firm, 2 pillows, and the waterproof mattress cover for around $1200. Expensive? Yes? But we wanted a really good mattress.

So we got the mattress. Being foam it came in a box all squished up. We opened the box inside the camper, pulled it out, and cut the plastic wrap and the thing came alive! But wow, was that thing heavy!

One thing we did not take into account getting a mattress like this, was the weight. Being on the main bed, lifting the bed to reach this storage underneath, those gas shocks that are suppose to hold it up, are way, way too weak now. Whenever we get under the bed, it takes both of us. One to life and hold it up, the other to dig underneath to get what we want out. Boy wow, is that mattress comfortable. 12 inches of foam. Sleeps wonderful.

So, my suggestion, wait till you actually get the camper and give it a fair shake. After you have the camper, you can pick one up that you know will fit, will be comfortable and will fit your needs.

About the make and model of the mattress for your camper? Any one of them will work, provided the size fits. We swapped all our previous one for Serta's, because that what we have in our house. My son had a Helix and when we tried his bed, we were sold. But get the camper first, then the new mattress. You can go to any box store and have one within a day or two. So, if you get one now, where are you going to store it till the camper comes? Just a though and trying to think practical here.

David, why don't you change those struts out? They're just a quick snap in. We had the same issue on our HC when we changed the mattress and I put new ones in. Now you just pick it up (no strain), holds the mattress perfectly and firmly, then you just push it down. I still hold under the front edge because toward the bottom it might want to slam. SUPER improvement over both of us fighting the overloaded bed platform.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
David, why don't you change those struts out? They're just a quick snap in. We had the same issue on our HC when we changed the mattress and I put new ones in. Now you just pick it up (no strain), holds the mattress perfectly and firmly, then you just push it down. I still hold under the front edge because toward the bottom it might want to slam. SUPER improvement over both of us fighting the overloaded bed platform.
What struts did you get? We have a latex mattress...it's so comfy and so heavy!
Old 12-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
What struts did you get? We have a latex mattress...it's so comfy and so heavy!

I got ours from rvupgradestore.com. You need to know what size strut (lb.) you have now and then guestimate what you will need according to how heavy the new mattress is vs the old. Took me 2 tries but the struts don't cost much and I'll find a use for the ones I didn't use.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #26
lcarver02

It really depends on how much comfort you need. Try to get at least 9-10 inches - get a new mattress and topper if you need it. The mattress that comes with these is usually pretty crappy. Being cool is very important, need to get a mattress that takes heat away and is cool. The struts below the bed may need to be replaced or others added to lift the heavy mattress if that is a big deal. I am checking into the swirl gel to see what it might cost.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #27
SICARIO

We did end up returning our 6” and got the zinus 8”. The 6” definitely fit better, but the extra 2” is worth the comfort. We also upgraded the gas struts to 100lb struts along with some real ACX plywood. Works great.
SICARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #28
lcarver02

Measure (all dimensions) with a tape. See if you have a Queen or RV Queen. Very different. My advice, no less than 10" thick and get a good one with a cool layer. Can add a topper if you want.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress